Nitto light bar

Will Cove

Guest
I need some additional handlebar real estate to mount my backup front light
and possibly a cycle computer. Searching the 'net revealed the Nitto light
bar (there's a picture of it on the Peter White Cycles website -
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/images/products/Lights/nitto-light-bar.jpg)
but that's a US company. I like the robust look of the Nitto product but
haven't seen it advertised in UK sites. Does anyone know of a UK source for
this product?

TIA

Will Cove wrote:
> I need some additional handlebar real estate to mount my backup front light
> and possibly a cycle computer. Searching the 'net revealed the Nitto light
> bar (there's a picture of it on the Peter White Cycles website -
> http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/images/products/Lights/nitto-light-bar.jpg)
> but that's a US company. I like the robust look of the Nitto product but
> haven't seen it advertised in UK sites. Does anyone know of a UK source for
> this product?

SJSCycles do a similar (but less robust) item. It's called something
like the "Minoura Spacebar". (My net hamster is struggling otherwise I'd
search for the proper name).

Richard Bates <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> SJSCycles do a similar (but less robust) item. It's called something
> like the "Minoura Spacebar". (My net hamster is struggling otherwise I'd
> search for the proper name).

Thanks - they're called "Space Grip" and "Swing Grip". Wiggle and others
also sell them. FWIW, I discounted Minoura products having found reports
that they're somewhat fragile, don't offer a "rock solid" lighting base,
and can strip threads with little overtightening. That said, Minoura is all
that seems available in UK :(

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 22:09:31 +0000, Will Cove wrote:

> Richard Bates <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
>> SJSCycles do a similar (but less robust) item. It's called something
>> like the "Minoura Spacebar". (My net hamster is struggling otherwise I'd
>> search for the proper name).

> Thanks - they're called "Space Grip" and "Swing Grip". Wiggle and others
> also sell them. FWIW, I discounted Minoura products having found reports
> that they're somewhat fragile, don't offer a "rock solid" lighting base,
> and can strip threads with little overtightening. That said, Minoura is all
> that seems available in UK :(

I have a swing grip and while it does seem a bit fragile, I mount 2 B&M
Ixon lights on it without any problem.
No, it certainly doesn't seem as solid as the Nitto.

--
Mike
Van Tuyl titanium Dura Ace 10

"Richard Bates" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> Will Cove wrote:
>> I need some additional handlebar real estate to mount my backup front
>> light and possibly a cycle computer. Searching the 'net revealed the
>> Nitto light bar (there's a picture of it on the Peter White Cycles
>> website -
>> http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/images/products/Lights/nitto-light-bar.jpg)
>> but that's a US company. I like the robust look of the Nitto product but
>> haven't seen it advertised in UK sites. Does anyone know of a UK source
>> for this product?

> SJSCycles do a similar (but less robust) item. It's called something like
> the "Minoura Spacebar". (My net hamster is struggling otherwise I'd search
> for the proper name).

Indeed there is such a thing as a Minours Spacebar. Thre's one on my 'bent
and one on my tourer. Great items. Each of mine carries 2 x Cateye HL-EL300
lights. Been on for a couple of years without problem

On Feb 26, 10:09 pm, Will Cove <[email protected]> wrote:

> Thanks - they're called "Space Grip" and "Swing Grip". Wiggle and others
> also sell them. FWIW, I discounted Minoura products having found reports
> that they're somewhat fragile, don't offer a "rock solid" lighting base,
> and can strip threads with little overtightening. That said, Minoura is all
> that seems available in UK :(

Not so. Try the Topeak Xtender. I've got both the Minoura Space Grip
and the Topeak Xtender (different bikes, see).

The Topeak is a bit more solid, having said that my Space Grip hasn't
shown any signs of being made of cheese (touches wood hastily). I've
mount my Cateye EL300 on either, depending on the bike I'm riding.
It _could_ be that Minoura have changed materials in the 5 years since
I bought mine. The Topeak one is adjustable in more directions than
the Minoura and is available from Wiggle for 15 quid.

Tim on google groups.

"wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Indeed there is such a thing as a Minours Spacebar. Thre's one on my
> 'bent and one on my tourer. Great items. Each of mine carries 2 x
> Cateye HL-EL300 lights. Been on for a couple of years without problem

Thanks. A swift search revealed a picture of the beast - complete with
"SPACE GRIP" logo! At the very least, it's good to have positive reports
from members of this parish.

I still like the look of the Nitto, though <g>

"Tim Hall" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1172529075.338316.58750
@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

>> That said, Minoura is all that seems available in UK :(

> Not so. Try the Topeak Xtender. I've got both the Minoura Space Grip
> and the Topeak Xtender (different bikes, see).
>
> The Topeak is a bit more solid, having said that my Space Grip hasn't
> shown any signs of being made of cheese (touches wood hastily). I've
> mount my Cateye EL300 on either, depending on the bike I'm riding.
> It _could_ be that Minoura have changed materials in the 5 years since
> I bought mine. The Topeak one is adjustable in more directions than
> the Minoura and is available from Wiggle for 15 quid.

I've got a lot of time for Topeak - I have one of their rear racks and it's
incredibly rigid for such a light piece of kit. Having found a piccy on the
Wiggle site, it looks like I can attach an Xtender to one of the bits of my
handlebars that are the wrong angle for directly attaching a light and
adjust the joints of the Xtender to compensate. I still prefer the look of
the Nitto, but the Xtender seems to offer a good alternative.

Thanks.

Will Cove wrote:

> Thanks - they're called "Space Grip" and "Swing Grip". Wiggle and
> others also sell them. FWIW, I discounted Minoura products having
> found reports that they're somewhat fragile, don't offer a "rock
> solid" lighting base, and can strip threads with little
> overtightening.

The handlebar band is the weak point with the Space Grip. But it's fine and
solid, IME, if it's fitted well in the first place (not always easy) and
never wrenched up and down by brute force afterwards (tempting).

> That said, Minoura is all that seems available in UK :(

Have a look at the new Topeak product. There's one from Deda as well,
though it's a bit small. Actually the Nitto one doesn't look like it
extends the bar as far forward as the Space Grip does either. Same with the
ones that are based on a stem face plate (see SJS). It's nice to have
plenty of cable clearance and room to flick your light switches.

Other Space Grip bonuses: quite easy to replace the tube with a longer one
(metal or PVC); lighter than Topeak's.

~PB

"wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Indeed there is such a thing as a Minours Spacebar. Thre's one on my 'bent
> and one on my tourer. Great items. Each of mine carries 2 x Cateye
> HL-EL300 lights. Been on for a couple of years without problem

Even a MINOURA Spacebar, as opposed to a Minours one ;-)

"Will Cove" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I need some additional handlebar real estate to mount my backup front light
> and possibly a cycle computer. Searching the 'net revealed the Nitto light
> bar (there's a picture of it on the Peter White Cycles website -
> http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/images/products/Lights/nitto-light-bar.jpg)
> but that's a US company. I like the robust look of the Nitto product but
> haven't seen it advertised in UK sites. Does anyone know of a UK source
> for
> this product?

IIRC on-one (add a .co.uk for the website) sell nitto handlebars, so they
may be able to get the light bar.

Doki wrote:
> IIRC on-one (add a .co.uk for the website) sell nitto handlebars, so they
> may be able to get the light bar.

Same goes for Hubjub (www.hubjub.co.uk)

Anthony

On 27 Feb, 14:59, Will Cove <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Doki" <[email protected]> wrote innews:[email protected]:
>
> > IIRC on-one (add a .co.uk for the website) sell nitto handlebars, so
> > they may be able to get the light bar.

> Thanks - I've sent them an e-mail to find out!

If not, Peter White Cycles do ship worldwide.

--
Dave...

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]se
says...

[About the Minoura Space Grip]
> Thanks. A swift search revealed a picture of the beast - complete with
> "SPACE GRIP" logo! At the very least, it's good to have positive reports
> from members of this parish.

I had a Swing Grip which fractured after about 18 months of use. I used
it to mount a Garmin 60CS GPS unit, which weighs about 200g, but I would
have hoped that it could cope with that sort of load.

Mike

Mike Smith <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I had a Swing Grip which fractured after about 18 months of use. I used
> it to mount a Garmin 60CS GPS unit, which weighs about 200g, but I would
> have hoped that it could cope with that sort of load.

Thanks - you've just reminded me of plans I'd shelved earlier to find a
mount for my PDA/GPS. I must try to remember to mount that directly from
the handlebars! (I've found a ball-jointed RAM mount for 1" bars).

Will Cove wrote:
> Richard Bates <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>

>>SJSCycles do a similar (but less robust) item. It's called something
>>like the "Minoura Spacebar". (My net hamster is struggling otherwise I'd
>>search for the proper name).

> Thanks - they're called "Space Grip" and "Swing Grip". Wiggle and others
> also sell them. FWIW, I discounted Minoura products having found reports
> that they're somewhat fragile, don't offer a "rock solid" lighting base,
> and can strip threads with little overtightening. That said, Minoura is all
> that seems available in UK :(

I have one and for rear LED lights its fine. Quite a versatile piece of
kit.

Doki wrote:

> "Will Cove" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> I need some additional handlebar real estate to mount my backup front
>> light
>> and possibly a cycle computer. Searching the 'net revealed the Nitto
>> light
>> bar (there's a picture of it on the Peter White Cycles website -
>> http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/images/products/Lights/nitto-light-bar.jpg)
>>
>> but that's a US company. I like the robust look of the Nitto product but
>> haven't seen it advertised in UK sites. Does anyone know of a UK
>> source for
>> this product?

> IIRC on-one (add a .co.uk for the website) sell nitto handlebars, so
> they may be able to get the light bar.

They didn't give a price for the Dinotte High Power 5W Led!

http://tinyurl.com/ljdvf

which I *so* want. I am a bicycle bling ***** mind you.

Tosspot wrote:
> Doki wrote:
>>
>> "Will Cove" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>> I need some additional handlebar real estate to mount my backup front
>>> light
>>> and possibly a cycle computer. Searching the 'net revealed the Nitto
>>> light
>>> bar (there's a picture of it on the Peter White Cycles website -
>>> http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/images/products/Lights/nitto-light-bar.jpg)
>>>
>>> but that's a US company. I like the robust look of the Nitto product but
>>> haven't seen it advertised in UK sites. Does anyone know of a UK
>>> source for
>>> this product?

>> IIRC on-one (add a .co.uk for the website) sell nitto handlebars, so
>> they may be able to get the light bar.

> They didn't give a price for the Dinotte High Power 5W Led!
>
> http://tinyurl.com/ljdvf
>
> which I *so* want. I am a bicycle bling ***** mind you.

Found one on e-bay.

http://tinyurl.com/2mtuba