NJ bicyclists rejoice, no-lead squirrels declared safe to eat

"Scott Gordo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Oct 31, 4:37 pm, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > news:[email protected]...> Happily, the

federal government operates on the principle that the

Http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2007/10/30/2007-10-30_squirrels_safe_to_eat_...

> > > Of course, if the squirrel had been processed by stainless steel
> > > spokes, no lead contamination would have occurred.

> > > Cheers,

> > > Carl Fogel

> > Um, ah, squirrels are known to carry prions in their brains, the

things
> > that cause Mad Cow disease and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in humans.
> >
> > There have been outbreaks of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in parts of the
> > Southern Appalachians and Ozarks where squirrel head stew is a

delicacy so
> > be careful about giving squirrels a clean bill of health.
> >
> > Chas.

> If that were true I'd have to give up local Chinese and outdoor cart
> food. There's so much competition the price of cats is getting too
> high, and not everybody likes pigeo...err, chicken.
>
> /s
> The other, other, OTHER white meat.

Squirrel is pretty good, it tastes like chicken legs or thighs. They say
rattlesnake tastes that way too, turtle? alligator?

http://klinglers.org/funnies/audio/cat~food.wav

Chas.

On Nov 1, 9:46 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Scott Gordo wrote:
> > Nor am I a hunter, so I'll have to ask. Are squirrels typically hunted
> > with something akin to birdshot? Is that shot not made of lead? In
> > fact, "put it through a lead blender" sounds like a Spillane-esque way
> > of saying that you hit a squirrel with too big a cartridge....

> Here is what I use to shoot squirrels:
> <http://home.att.net/~meiii5/pix/anzioan3.jpg>.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> When did ignorance of biology become a "family value"?

Wow! How far can you shoot them?

/s
Flying Squirrel

Scott Gordo wrote:
> On Nov 1, 9:46 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> Scott Gordo wrote:
>>> Nor am I a hunter, so I'll have to ask. Are squirrels typically hunted
>>> with something akin to birdshot? Is that shot not made of lead? In
>>> fact, "put it through a lead blender" sounds like a Spillane-esque way
>>> of saying that you hit a squirrel with too big a cartridge....

>> Here is what I use to shoot squirrels:
>> <http://home.att.net/~meiii5/pix/anzioan3.jpg>.

> Wow! How far can you shoot them?

Maximum range is about 50 km.

When did ignorance of biology become a "family value"?

On Nov 2, 7:54 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Scott Gordo wrote:
> > On Nov 1, 9:46 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >> Here is what I use to shoot squirrels:
> >> <http://home.att.net/~meiii5/pix/anzioan3.jpg>.

> > Wow! How far can you shoot them?

> Maximum range is about 50 km.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> When did ignorance of biology become a "family value"?

Further for flying squirrels?

/s