No Battery Bicycle flashing safety lights

[email protected] (iwico) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> This product is based on an new eletric generating system.
>
> No friction, No drag, No swith on/off, very bright.
>
> See details go to our website: http://www.freelights.co.uk

Although this product appears to be based in the UK the lights as shown would not be road-legal in
the UK unless used to supplement approved lights, which rather seems to defeat the object.

--
Dave...

On 27 Oct 2003 05:55:51 -0800, [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote:

>Although this product appears to be based in the UK the lights as shown would not be road-legal in
>the UK unless used to supplement approved lights, which rather seems to defeat the object.

'Course, the point is rather moot as I doubt there is much enforcement, if any, and when there is,
most likely you'll get away with using whatever lights you want as long as the cop thinks you're
visible enough.

At least, that's how it works across the North Sea.

Jasper

Jasper Janssen <[email protected]> wrote:
>On 27 Oct 2003 05:55:51 -0800, [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote:
>>Although this product appears to be based in the UK the lights as shown would not be road-legal in
>>the UK unless used to supplement approved lights, which rather seems to defeat the object.
>'Course, the point is rather moot as I doubt there is much enforcement, if any, and when there is,
>most likely you'll get away with using whatever lights you want as long as the cop thinks you're
>visible enough.

That's true, but if this gadget produces no perceptible drag it may actually be feeble enough to
arouse a policeman's ire...

On 04 Nov 2003 17:15:25 +0000 (GMT), David Damerell <[email protected]> wrote:

>That's true, but if this gadget produces no perceptible drag it may actually be feeble enough to
>arouse a policeman's ire...

Oh, yeah, but the "no perceptible drag" thing is just a manifestation of ignorance of physics in the
form of the age old perpetuum mobile fallacy. In the universe called reality where most of us live,
the dude's essentially making a less efficient version of a hub dynamo (PS, son, google for Schmidt
Original Nabendynamo and the Shimano Nexus Inter-L..).

Jasper

Jasper Janssen <[email protected]> wrote:
>On 04 Nov 2003 17:15:25 +0000 (GMT), David Damerell
>>That's true, but if this gadget produces no perceptible drag it may actually be feeble enough to
>>arouse a policeman's ire...
>Oh, yeah, but the "no perceptible drag" thing is just a manifestation of ignorance of physics in
>the form of the age old perpetuum mobile fallacy.

Ah, not quite. A gadget might genuinely have such a small output as to produce no
_perceptible_ drag.

>In the universe called reality where most of us live, the dude's essentially making a less
>efficient version of a hub dynamo

Of course, yes.

>(PS, son, google for Schmidt Original Nabendynamo and the Shimano Nexus Inter-L..).

Since I have a SON in my front wheel I submit that I am quite familiar with such devices.

On 05 Nov 2003 14:32:54 +0000 (GMT), David Damerell <[email protected]> wrote:
>Jasper Janssen <[email protected]> wrote:

>>Oh, yeah, but the "no perceptible drag" thing is just a manifestation of ignorance of physics in
>>the form of the age old perpetuum mobile fallacy.
>
>Ah, not quite. A gadget might genuinely have such a small output as to produce no
>_perceptible_ drag.

Postulating 100% efficiency in the complete system from motive power to light, you'll still have
drag if there's light. No perceptible drag is a fallacy -- all it means is that you're not feeling
carefully enough.

>>(PS, son, google for Schmidt Original Nabendynamo and the Shimano Nexus Inter-L..).
>
>Since I have a SON in my front wheel I submit that I am quite familiar with such devices.

Sorry, that one was addressed to the original poster. I would not expect any regular poster in rbt
to be ignorant of these devices.

Jasper

[email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Although this product appears to be based in the UK the lights as shown would not be road-legal in
> the UK unless used to supplement approved lights, which rather seems to defeat the object.

Correction. Fitted to a bicycle they would be illegal even if used to supplement approved lights as
they only have a flashing mode.

--
Dave...

Jasper Janssen <[email protected]> wrote:
><[email protected]> wrote:
>>Jasper Janssen <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>Oh, yeah, but the "no perceptible drag" thing is just a manifestation of ignorance of physics in
>>>the form of the age old perpetuum mobile fallacy.
>>Ah, not quite. A gadget might genuinely have such a small output as to produce no
>>_perceptible_ drag.
>Postulating 100% efficiency in the complete system from motive power to light, you'll still have
>drag if there's light. No perceptible drag is a fallacy

No, it's not. There are evidently limits to the drag that can be perceived by the rider. For
instance, if a pannier strap comes loose, there is a change in the aerodynamic drag. Nevertheless,
one is not ordinarily alerted to such an event by the miniscule change in effort required.

Jasper Janssen <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On 05 Nov 2003 14:32:54 +0000 (GMT), David Damerell <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Ah, not quite. A gadget might genuinely have such a small output as to produce no
> >_perceptible_ drag.
> Postulating 100% efficiency in the complete system from motive power to light, you'll still have
> drag if there's light. No perceptible drag is a fallacy -- all it means is that you're not feeling
> carefully enough.

There's a difference between "perceptible" and "detectable". If the drag is within what
psychologists term a "just noticeable difference" you will not perceive it no matter how
carefully you try.

Going back to your original point: yes, if it produces a decent light front and back the police in
the UK will probably though not necessarily leave you alone. I doubt this thing produces that kind
of effect, but even supposing it does do you think it is morally defensible to market such a system?
There is also the likelihood that a cyclist who relies on a system that is so woefully short of
legal requirements, and is then hit by a motor vehicle or runs into a pedestrian, is simply giving
ammunition to the other party's lawyers.

--
Dave...