No bikes in the cemetery

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Olebiker, Apr 8, 2005.

  1. Olebiker

    Olebiker Guest

    My good riding buddy, Matthew Brinkley, was buried this morning. He
    took a turn on Wolfpen Gap in North Georgia too fast last Sunday and
    laid his hammer down amid the trees that line the road. We were
    supposed to go to the Tour de Georgia in a couple of weeks.

    Ironically, a sign at the entrance to Roselawn Cemetery here in
    Tallahassee where he was buried said that bicycles are not permitted in
    the cemetery. I wonder what they would do if they found me riding my
    bike to visit his grave.

    Dick Durbin
    Tallahassee

    Tags:

  2. Neil Brooks

    Neil Brooks Guest

    "Olebiker" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >My good riding buddy, Matthew Brinkley, was buried this morning. He
    >took a turn on Wolfpen Gap in North Georgia too fast last Sunday and
    >laid his hammer down amid the trees that line the road. We were
    >supposed to go to the Tour de Georgia in a couple of weeks.
    >
    >Ironically, a sign at the entrance to Roselawn Cemetery here in
    >Tallahassee where he was buried said that bicycles are not permitted in
    >the cemetery. I wonder what they would do if they found me riding my
    >bike to visit his grave.
    >
    >Dick Durbin
    >Tallahassee

    Hey, Dick....

    My condolences to you and Mr. Brinkley's family for the loss . . . our
    loss.

  3. Olebiker wrote:
    > My good riding buddy, Matthew Brinkley, was buried this morning. He
    > took a turn on Wolfpen Gap in North Georgia too fast last Sunday and
    > laid his hammer down amid the trees that line the road. We were
    > supposed to go to the Tour de Georgia in a couple of weeks.
    >
    > Ironically, a sign at the entrance to Roselawn Cemetery here in
    > Tallahassee where he was buried said that bicycles are not permitted

    in
    > the cemetery. I wonder what they would do if they found me riding my
    > bike to visit his grave.

    My guess is that they are afraid of kids stunting on BMX bikes, or of
    mountain bikers riding around the lawns. IOW, I'd bet that you
    wouldn't get a second look if you sedately biked in for a visit.

    A shopping center near here has signs saying "No skateboarding, No
    rollerblading, No bicycles." I've ignored it ever since it went up.

    Similarly, the university where I teach has signs up forbidding cycling
    in the small heart of the campus. Those signs are similarly ignored,
    including by faculty, and by the university cops, who have said they
    have no intention of enforcing stupid rules.

    You have nothing to lose by riding in. At worst, they'll yell at you.
    At best, you'll teach them something.

    Go honor your friend.

    - Frank Krygowski

  4. AustinMN

    AustinMN Guest

    Olebiker wrote:
    > My good riding buddy, Matthew Brinkley, was buried this morning. He
    > took a turn on Wolfpen Gap in North Georgia too fast last Sunday and
    > laid his hammer down amid the trees that line the road. We were
    > supposed to go to the Tour de Georgia in a couple of weeks.

    <Austin observes a moment of silence in honor of Matthew Brinkley>

    > Ironically, a sign at the entrance to Roselawn Cemetery here in
    > Tallahassee where he was buried said that bicycles are not permitted in
    > the cemetery. I wonder what they would do if they found me riding my
    > bike to visit his grave.

    I will echo what Frank said. That sign is for those who are going to cause
    the cemetery problems.

    I used to routinely bike to my parent's graves (right past the signs that
    said "No Bicycles/No Skateboards/No Rollerblades...etc.). No one ever said
    a word to me. I now live 1200 miles (2000 Km) from the grave, a bit far to
    cycle on a quiet Saturday Morning before everyone else gets up.

    Austin
    --
    I'm pedaling as fast as I durn well please!
    There are no X characters in my address

  5. On 8 Apr 2005 17:33:47 -0700 in rec.bicycles.misc,
    [email protected] wrote:

    > You have nothing to lose by riding in. At worst, they'll yell at you.
    > At best, you'll teach them something.
    >
    > Go honor your friend.

    If it was me I'd find a bike to mount on his grave, at least
    temporarily, that is if his family would approve.

  6. In St. Louis, there was a cemetery that enforced the no bicycle signs.
    They were informed they could check at the office at the entrance then
    they could ride to the grave site. They did not want them to get out
    of sight then start to do tricks. If someone were to stop you, and you
    gave them a specific name and directions to where you are going, you
    should be ok.

  7. Claire

    Claire Guest

    Olebiker wrote:

    > Ironically, a sign at the entrance to Roselawn Cemetery here in
    > Tallahassee where he was buried said that bicycles are not permitted

    in
    > the cemetery. I wonder what they would do if they found me riding my
    > bike to visit his grave.

    I am sorry to hear of your loss.

    You may be interested in this old thread:
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group...4?q=cemetery+petersky&rnum=2#1519f677c40292d4

    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    from the Spokane Public Library this morning!

  8. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Olebiker wrote:

    > My good riding buddy, Matthew Brinkley, was buried this morning. He
    > took a turn on Wolfpen Gap in North Georgia too fast last Sunday and
    > laid his hammer down amid the trees that line the road. We were
    > supposed to go to the Tour de Georgia in a couple of weeks.
    >
    > Ironically, a sign at the entrance to Roselawn Cemetery here in
    > Tallahassee where he was buried said that bicycles are not permitted in
    > the cemetery. I wonder what they would do if they found me riding my
    > bike to visit his grave.
    >
    > Dick Durbin
    > Tallahassee

    Management probably doesn't want bicycles going off-road, tearing up soft sod,
    and possibly damaging themselves or monuments. One can argue that if cars and
    trucks are allowed on cemetery paths, bicycles should also be allowed on
    cemetery paths. The late Admiral Edith Hopper had a maxim that has served me
    well also; it goes something like "Just do it. It's easier to apologize later
    than to get prior permission."

  9. On 8 Apr 2005 17:33:47 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

    >Olebiker wrote:
    >> My good riding buddy, Matthew Brinkley, was buried this morning. He
    >> took a turn on Wolfpen Gap in North Georgia too fast last Sunday and
    >> laid his hammer down amid the trees that line the road. We were
    >> supposed to go to the Tour de Georgia in a couple of weeks.
    >>
    >> Ironically, a sign at the entrance to Roselawn Cemetery here in
    >> Tallahassee where he was buried said that bicycles are not permitted

    >in
    >> the cemetery. I wonder what they would do if they found me riding my
    >> bike to visit his grave.

    >My guess is that they are afraid of kids stunting on BMX bikes, or of
    >mountain bikers riding around the lawns. IOW, I'd bet that you
    >wouldn't get a second look if you sedately biked in for a visit.
    >
    >A shopping center near here has signs saying "No skateboarding, No
    >rollerblading, No bicycles." I've ignored it ever since it went up.
    >
    >Similarly, the university where I teach has signs up forbidding cycling
    >in the small heart of the campus. Those signs are similarly ignored,
    >including by faculty, and by the university cops, who have said they
    >have no intention of enforcing stupid rules.
    >
    >You have nothing to lose by riding in. At worst, they'll yell at you.
    >At best, you'll teach them something.
    >
    >Go honor your friend.
    >
    >- Frank Krygowski

    Around here there's a cemetery that is actually frequented by cyclists
    quite a bit. There are no signs and it's just become a common site for
    local cyclists, because it's kind of hilly and has lots of steep
    little climbs. Whenever we go there for rides we call it "Tour de
    Tombstone". However, I only see roadies, cars and pedestrians (cars
    have to go slowly); I never see BMXers or skateboarders. BMXers prefer
    to go to another hangout near a railyard. Anyways, i agree, I think if
    you just walk your bike in and out of the cemetery, instead of riding
    it, you won't get in trouble.

  10. Olebiker

    Olebiker Guest

    >The late Admiral Edith Hopper had a maxim that has served me
    well also; it goes something like "Just do it. It's easier to
    apologize later
    than to get prior permission."

    Having been married 34 years I have often relied on a similar maxim:
    It's easier to get forgiveness than permission.

    Dick Durbin

  11. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Another way of saying it- "If you can't stand the answer, don't ask the
    question."

  12. Neil Brooks

    Neil Brooks Guest

    Jim <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Another way of saying it- "If you can't stand the answer, don't ask the
    >question."

    This post *screams* for some context....