General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

No Blasting Please.........anyone try Medifast?

Started by Carol Ann · · Last activity · 4 posts · 287 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
22 April 2006
Last activity
22 April 2006
Original author
Carol Ann
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
287
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. ~Carol Ann

  2. I never heard of it so I Googled it.

    I looked at their diabetic diet first, figuring it'd be the
    lowest-carb. But... the 4-week package for diabetics includes 28
    servings of oatmeal. 🙁

    Their diet still expects you to fix one "green and lean" meal per day
    (meat and veggies). The rest of the time, it's the prepackaged stuff.
    So ya don't get out of cooking on the plan if that's the reaosn it's
    attractive.

    Their site seems big on marketing and low on nutritional facts. Even
    the physician info, which I'd expect to have some nutritional
    information, is a glossy PDF full of marketspeak. All I can tell is
    it's 800-1000 calories per day. No info on carbs, protein and fat. No
    ingredients lists.

    I think it's way too damned expensive. Especially with no nutritional
    info, but even moreso with no idea what the stuff tastes like. It's a
    huge chunk of money to spend without knowing if the stuff will be
    edible.

    I found this bit from their FAQ page amusing...

    "How do I go off the program?

    When you are ready to stop Medifast, plan to do a gradual transition
    off the program rather than suddenly jumping back on food. During the
    transition period, your goal will be to gradually ease back into eating
    regular food at the same time you slowly wean off the Medifast packets.
    Doing a careful transition protects you from experiencing a "rebound"
    weight gain from suddenly increasing your calorie intake. It also gives
    your digestive system a chance to adapt to handling regular food
    again."

    We can argue about Frankenfoods vs real food all day here, but even
    they don't think the stuff they're selling is food! Makes you wonder
    what they do to oatmeal to make it a "packet" instead of "regular
    food."

    If I wanted an instant-type diet for most of my meals for one reason or
    another, I think it'd be simpler, cheaper and healthier to just do
    protein powder. With a supply of DaVinci syrups, I'd have more
    versatility with flavors too. Probably tastes better also.

  3. Carol Ann said:

    ~Carol Ann

    Isn't that what Oprah tried the first time she shed all that weight?

    Vicki

  4. Oprah did Optifast, which was a total liquid program. No meals at all,
    ever. I had a friend, a former bulimic, who lost a lot of weight on
    it. Then once she started eating solid food again, she started gaining
    the weight back. Eventually she died of a heart attack at age 35,
    probably because of damage to her body from the bulimia and extreme
    dieting.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.