No-bulge flat bars besides Titec?

Snortley

Guest
Does anyone know of a currently marketed flat bar with no
center bulge and no rise besides this one, the Titec T1 118?:

http://www.titec.com/dynamic_content/product/handlebars/pl_1.jpg
http://www.ebikestop.com/titec_118_ti_bar_wberts_555mm-HB2300.php

That's a shim in the picture, not a bulge, no wider than a
stem clamp. This is a nice enough bar if you're into low-weight vs.
structure brinksmanship, which I'm not, not being a racer. I would
prefer something like this in alloy, or if in ti, a little beefier
than this one, which is so thin at the ends that it comes with
reinforcement plugs to keep it from collapsing if you add bar ends.
Titec used to make another, stronger model, the PG, but no longer. Is
there anything around along this line besides this weight-weenie
version?

Snortley wrote:

> Does anyone know of a currently marketed flat bar with no
> center bulge and no rise besides this one, the Titec T1 118?:
>
> http://www.titec.com/dynamic_content/product/handlebars/pl_1.jpg
> http://www.ebikestop.com/titec_118_ti_bar_wberts_555mm-HB2300.php
>
> That's a shim in the picture, not a bulge, no wider than a
> stem clamp. This is a nice enough bar if you're into low-weight vs.
> structure brinksmanship, which I'm not, not being a racer. I would
> prefer something like this in alloy, or if in ti, a little beefier
> than this one, which is so thin at the ends that it comes with
> reinforcement plugs to keep it from collapsing if you add bar ends.
> Titec used to make another, stronger model, the PG, but no longer. Is
> there anything around along this line besides this weight-weenie
> version?

you pretty much have to have a bulge of some kind - the stem clamp is of
greater diameter than the control clamps.

what is your objective? if you're worried about fatigue, a carbon bar
is probably your best bet. and the downhill versions are real strong.

On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 19:00:16 -0700, jim beam
<[email protected]> wrote:

>you pretty much have to have a bulge of some kind - the stem clamp is of
>greater diameter than the control clamps.
>
>what is your objective? if you're worried about fatigue, a carbon bar
>is probably your best bet. and the downhill versions are real strong.

Thanks for all the leads; I'll have to run these down and see
who will ship to the U.S. if nothing's available here.

My objective? It's been my experience that there's no good
reason for a bar to be any wider than me, so I cut flat bars down to
about 18 inches. That's just a bit less than most original sizes, but
it's helped to get through some narrow places. Just last weekend as I
made my way through a single-track with poison ivy on both sides, I
was thankful for the bit of extra clearance.

Anyway, while this avoids some scrapes, it does make it hard
to mount things, since the slope by the bulge doesn't get along with
most clamps on bells, lights, and the like. If they work at all, they
slide over to the narrow diameter. I would just like to be able to
locate things on the bar where they work best, rather than where they
insist on going.

I wonder how necessary the bulge really is. Good bars have an
increasing wall thickness toward the center to deal with greater
stress, anyway, and I would guess the greater circumference there adds
strength, but couldn't yet more wall thickness do enough if an even
outside diameter is desired? Well, I'll be giving one of these bars a
try, and hopefully won't end up crashing as a result.

Snortley wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 19:00:16 -0700, jim beam
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> you pretty much have to have a bulge of some kind - the stem clamp is of
>> greater diameter than the control clamps.
>>
>> what is your objective? if you're worried about fatigue, a carbon bar
>> is probably your best bet. and the downhill versions are real strong.

> Thanks for all the leads; I'll have to run these down and see
> who will ship to the U.S. if nothing's available here.
>
> My objective? It's been my experience that there's no good
> reason for a bar to be any wider than me, so I cut flat bars down to
> about 18 inches. That's just a bit less than most original sizes, but
> it's helped to get through some narrow places. Just last weekend as I
> made my way through a single-track with poison ivy on both sides, I
> was thankful for the bit of extra clearance.
>
> Anyway, while this avoids some scrapes, it does make it hard
> to mount things, since the slope by the bulge doesn't get along with
> most clamps on bells, lights, and the like. If they work at all, they
> slide over to the narrow diameter. I would just like to be able to
> locate things on the bar where they work best, rather than where they
> insist on going.
>
> I wonder how necessary the bulge really is. Good bars have an
> increasing wall thickness toward the center to deal with greater
> stress, anyway, and I would guess the greater circumference there adds
> strength, but couldn't yet more wall thickness do enough if an even
> outside diameter is desired? Well, I'll be giving one of these bars a
> try, and hopefully won't end up crashing as a result.

if you're cutting the bar, don't use carbon. most have internal
reinforcement where the brake lever clamps go, based on standard
placement. if you cut, the levers will not be on reinforced sections as
intended.