No camping on fells in Forest of Bowland?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Peewiglet, Aug 26, 2005.

  1. Peewiglet

    Peewiglet Guest

    I've just been looking in 'Backpackers' Britain - Northern England'
    and in relation to a walk in the FofB it says "It is against the
    by-laws of the Access Agreement to camp on the open fells. Please do
    not aggravate the situation by doing so."

    Does this ring a bell with anyone? Is camping not allowed there?

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~

    "If you teach a child to read, he or her can pass a literacy test."
    g.w.AT [guessthisbit].com

    Tags:

  2. GeoffC

    GeoffC Guest

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 20:55:14 +0100, Peewiglet <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I've just been looking in 'Backpackers' Britain - Northern England'
    >and in relation to a walk in the FofB it says "It is against the
    >by-laws of the Access Agreement to camp on the open fells. Please do
    >not aggravate the situation by doing so."
    >
    >Does this ring a bell with anyone? Is camping not allowed there?

    Just the same as the Peak District. NY Moors etc., that only makes it the same as anywhere else in
    England and Wales. Ignore it and be discreet - we've pitched in the FOB.

    Regards

    -- GeoffC

    Take out TheEnemy to email me

    http://v-g.me.uk

  3. Peewiglet

    Peewiglet Guest

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 21:20:53 +0100, GeoffC <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 20:55:14 +0100, Peewiglet <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I've just been looking in 'Backpackers' Britain - Northern England'
    >>and in relation to a walk in the FofB it says "It is against the
    >>by-laws of the Access Agreement to camp on the open fells. Please do
    >>not aggravate the situation by doing so."
    >>
    >>Does this ring a bell with anyone? Is camping not allowed there?
    >>

    >Just the same as the Peak District. NY Moors etc., that only makes it the same as anywhere else in
    >England and Wales. Ignore it and be discreet - we've pitched in the FOB.

    Ok - thanks for clarifying :)

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~

    "The future will be better tomorrow."
    g.w.AT [guessthisbit].com

  4. Chris Street

    Chris Street Guest

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 20:55:14 +0100, Peewiglet wrote:

    > I've just been looking in 'Backpackers' Britain - Northern England'
    > and in relation to a walk in the FofB it says "It is against the
    > by-laws of the Access Agreement to camp on the open fells. Please do
    > not aggravate the situation by doing so."
    >
    > Does this ring a bell with anyone? Is camping not allowed there?
    >
    > Best wishes,

    It's illegal to camp anywhere without the landowners permission. It's
    tolerated above the intake walls in many places but the owner could always
    pony up and start booting you out.

    Best trick is just not to be seen....

  5. Peewiglet

    Peewiglet Guest

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 23:52:12 +0100, Chris Street
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >It's illegal to camp anywhere without the landowners permission. It's
    >tolerated above the intake walls in many places but the owner could always
    >pony up and start booting you out.
    >
    >Best trick is just not to be seen....

    Ok, thanks :)

    Best wishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~

    "I will have a foreign-handed foreign policy."
    g.w.AT [guessthisbit].com

  6. Craven

    Craven Guest

    "Peewiglet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I've just been looking in 'Backpackers' Britain - Northern England'
    > and in relation to a walk in the FofB it says "It is against the
    > by-laws of the Access Agreement to camp on the open fells. Please do
    > not aggravate the situation by doing so."
    >
    > Does this ring a bell with anyone? Is camping not allowed there?

    Probably true, is true! These fells are owned by a notorious landowner who
    condones the illegal killing of birds of prey. He denies this of course! And
    wishes to keep the general public (plebs) off is land. Even with the new
    open access he's got round them. So the situation hasn't changed. He even
    has the co-operation of the local council in respect to voluntary wardens
    under the control of Lanc. CC protecting his land

    Good on your "illegal" camping though:)

    Cravenbirds

  7. Tom B

    Tom B Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Craven
    <[email protected]> wrote on Sat, 27 Aug 2005 at 05:02:58:
    >And
    >wishes to keep the general public (plebs) off is land. Even with the new
    >open access he's got round them.

    How has he managed this?

  8. Craven

    Craven Guest

    "Tom B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>, Craven
    > <[email protected]> wrote on Sat, 27 Aug 2005 at 05:02:58:
    >>And
    >>wishes to keep the general public (plebs) off is land. Even with the new
    >>open access he's got round them.

    > How has he managed this?

    Primarily 'cause he's got a title and is the wealthiest man in the UK, maybe
    0-) And has influence. AKA The Duke of Westminster.

    Classed as grouse moors! For a start. If you care to check there is little
    if any difference between then and now (the new open access laws have
    changed little IMHO) concerning access to these fells (Bird protectionists
    find it difficult if impossible to monitor raptor nesting / destruction on
    this estate). North-West Water (United Utilities) on the otherhand who have
    adjoining lands including grouse moors do give open access though and
    protect their birds of prey, thankfully.

    Craven Birding

  9. "Craven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Tom B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> In article <[email protected]>, Craven
    >> <[email protected]> wrote on Sat, 27 Aug 2005 at 05:02:58:
    >>>And
    >>>wishes to keep the general public (plebs) off is land. Even with the new
    >>>open access he's got round them.

    >> How has he managed this?

    > Primarily 'cause he's got a title and is the wealthiest man in the UK,
    > maybe 0-) And has influence. AKA The Duke of Westminster.
    >
    > Classed as grouse moors! For a start. If you care to check there is little
    > if any difference between then and now (the new open access laws have
    > changed little IMHO) concerning access to these fells (Bird protectionists
    > find it difficult if impossible to monitor raptor nesting / destruction on
    > this estate). North-West Water (United Utilities) on the otherhand who
    > have adjoining lands including grouse moors do give open access though and
    > protect their birds of prey, thankfully.
    >
    > Craven Birding

    Which fells does this apply to?
    According to Access site (managers)
    http://www.openaccess.gov.uk/wps/portal/home/welcome/ and Countryside Access
    Site (Joe Public) http://www.openaccess.gov.uk/wps/portal/home/welcome/and
    LCC Access leaflet
    http://www.forestofbowland.com/pdf_documents/accesslandleaflet.pdf
    all this area is CROW with restrictions.
    Alowable restrictions are :-
    No Dogs - all grouse moors claimed this for 10 years.
    Nobody -Very limited restricted.time.

    As far as I can see the only other possible restrictions are:-
    Danger of fire.
    Extreme weather.
    Danger to human life.

    As for camping etc. this is NOT allowed by CROW unless previously allowed.

    Roger

  10. Paul Rooney

    Paul Rooney Guest

    On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 16:26:57 +0100, "Craven" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > there is little
    >if any difference between then and now

    Too right. I still go where I want to, and have been doing for almost
    40 years. But I suspect they'll leave the hen harriers alone now.

    "I always knew the entire Green party were nutters" - Ken Livingstone

  11. Craven

    Craven Guest

    "Paul Rooney" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 16:26:57 +0100, "Craven" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> there is little
    >>if any difference between then and now

    > Too right. I still go where I want to, and have been doing for almost
    > 40 years. But I suspect they'll leave the hen harriers alone now.

    Doubt it, they'll still be persecuted in Bowland IMHO

    Craven

  12. Richard Webb

    Richard Webb Guest

    Was wandering around up there about 15 years ago, deep in Gomlstan,
    when I met someone.. Quite friendly, turned out to be on a clandestine
    raptor survey.

    Richard Webb

  13. Craven

    Craven Guest

    "Simon Caldwell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 16:26:57 +0100, "Craven" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Classed as grouse moors!

    > Grouse moors usually are.

    So they are! But erradication of the Hen Harrier 'aint or shouldn't be the
    NORM as in parts of TFB :-((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

    Bye