No FBT exemption in the budget...

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Travis, May 10, 2006.

  1. Travis

    Travis Guest

    Lots of goodies in the budget this year, just about anyone with a super
    fund or a tax rate above zero would be happy, but while there is a fair
    bit of money going on road building and maintenance there is nothing in
    there about bikes...

    Why don't we all make a point of lobbying our local member hard to see
    if a bill can be introduced that gives cyclists similar tax concessions
    to drivers, namely concessional fringe benefits tax treatment, or
    better yet a full exemption, for bicycles and other bicycle related
    materials used in commuting.

    Who's in?

    Travis

    Tags:

  2. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    As previously suggested: on 8th August 2006 you're taking the day off.
    http://www.abs.gov.au/websitedbs/d3310114.nsf/Home/census

    You will also persuade all your family, friends and work colleagues to do likewise. You will ride around all day, imbibe coffee, eat bakery goods, have fun in the process, and increase those all important statistics that various tiers of Australian government base their cycling infrastructure funding upon.

    Who's also considering changing religions from Jedi Knight and putting down "Cyclist" as their religion on the census?

    That's another way to ensure, in the longterm, that the pollies take notice of cyclists and any efforts to lobby for FBT exemptions. :D

  3. Donga

    Donga Guest

    cfsmtb wrote:
    > Who's also considering changing religions from Jedi Knight and putting
    > down "Cyclist" as their religion on the census?

    Ring the bells for that one!!

    Donga

  4. Euan

    Euan Guest

    Travis wrote:
    > Lots of goodies in the budget this year, just about anyone with a super
    > fund or a tax rate above zero would be happy, but while there is a fair
    > bit of money going on road building and maintenance there is nothing in
    > there about bikes...
    >
    > Why don't we all make a point of lobbying our local member hard to see
    > if a bill can be introduced that gives cyclists similar tax concessions
    > to drivers, namely concessional fringe benefits tax treatment, or
    > better yet a full exemption, for bicycles and other bicycle related
    > materials used in commuting.
    >
    > Who's in?

    Not me. Abolish the tax `benefits' doled out to motorists and I'll be
    on board for that.

    Was talking to a colleague today who was moaning about having to work in
    the city tomorrow. ``Take the train'' I say, ``I would,'' says he
    ``except my novated lease requires me to drive 25,000 in a year. I'm a
    bit shy of that so I need to drive whenever I can.''

    Us cyclists, especially those of us who don't own cars or by cycling
    manage one car between two or more, are quids in already. We don't need
    hand outs, we need pricing transparency on transport so the full cost is
    borne by the individual making that choice.
    --
    Cheers | ~~ [email protected]
    Euan | ~~ _-\<,

  5. Random Data

    Random Data Guest

    On Wed, 10 May 2006 21:20:53 +1000, cfsmtb wrote:

    > Who's also considering changing religions from Jedi Knight and putting
    > down "Cyclist" as their religion on the census?

    I've been told that to qualify as a religion in Australia, you must
    believe in something supernatural. Crap, I can't believe I'm actually
    putting some time into this. From ABS publication 1266.0, the Australian
    Standard Classification of Religion: "Generally, a religion is regarded as
    a set of beliefs and practices, usually involving acknowledgment of a
    divine or higher being or power, by which people order the conduct of
    their lives both practically and in a moral sense."

    So. I believe that you should always check if another rider who isn't on
    their bike is OK. I believe the Pinch Flat Gods are real, and vindictive
    [1] [2]. I believe that riding is a spiritual activity - I sure as shit
    feel better after a ride. Riding is my religion, and I think I probably
    will put it down, since I'm otherwise atheistic.

    I wonder if I can do the NPWS and NPA for religious persecution since they
    won't let me worship?

    [1] Do you want a happy god or a vengeful god?
    [2] OK, I'm agnostic about the PFGs. But I've seen some weird stuff.

    --
    Dave Hughes | [email protected]
    "Forty-two" - Deep Thought

  6. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963

    Taken further, do you believe in an Interventionist God/s?

    Ditto, I've witnessed plenty of instances of Instant Karma on the roads, mostly inadvertently amusing. :)

  7. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    "Euan" wrote
    > Was talking to a colleague today who was moaning about having to

    work in
    > the city tomorrow. ``Take the train'' I say, ``I would,'' says he
    > ``except my novated lease requires me to drive 25,000 in a year.

    I'm a
    > bit shy of that so I need to drive whenever I can.''
    >
    > Us cyclists, especially those of us who don't own cars or by cycling
    > manage one car between two or more, are quids in already. We don't

    need
    > hand outs, we need pricing transparency on transport so the full

    cost is
    > borne by the individual making that choice.

    Not a handout but a tax.The FBT is 11% if you do 25,001 kms for the
    year, 20% if you do 24,999 kms. A handout is where someone gives you
    money, not when they take less money from you.

    Our company owns seven cars driven by our employees. The FBT on those
    is more than $1,000 per WEEK. Does that sound like a handout to you?

    Theo

  8. Random Data

    Random Data Guest

    On Wed, 10 May 2006 22:45:01 +1000, cfsmtb wrote:

    > Taken further, do you believe in an Interventionist God/s?

    Just vengeful, Mr Cave. They don't really intervene as such, but they like
    to poke the ants' nest with sticks. Or bits of glass for the roadies.

    And ye shall know They are present by the hiss of escaping air and the
    thwock of underinflated rubber. And ye shall praise them with the cry "oh
    fsck, not another fscking flat!"

    Dave - first prophet of the PFGs.
    --
    Dave Hughes | [email protected]
    "Did you know God had a plan for you?"

  9. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    That has a rather Old Testament theme. How about a funky New Age approach, like placating the PFG's wrath via 'getting in touch with your inner tube'.

    **boom**tish**

  10. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-05-10, Random Data (aka Bruce)
    > On Wed, 10 May 2006 22:45:01 +1000, cfsmtb wrote:
    >
    >> Taken further, do you believe in an Interventionist God/s?

    > Just vengeful, Mr Cave. They don't really intervene as such, but they like
    > to poke the ants' nest with sticks. Or bits of glass for the roadies.
    >
    > And ye shall know They are present by the hiss of escaping air and the
    > thwock of underinflated rubber. And ye shall praise them with the cry "oh
    > fsck, not another fscking flat!"

    And I begged, "Angel of the Lord, what are these tortured screams?"
    And the angel said unto me, "These are the cries of the carrots, the
    cries of the carrots! You see, Reverend Maynard, tomorrow is harvest
    day and to them it is the holocaust."

    OK, wrong prayer.

    --
    TimC
    I am not afraid of heights, nor am I scared of falling. Height and

  11. Random Data wrote:

    > I've been told that to qualify as a religion in Australia, you must
    > believe in something supernatural. Crap, I can't believe I'm actually
    > putting some time into this. From ABS publication 1266.0, the Australian
    > Standard Classification of Religion: "Generally, a religion is regarded as
    > a set of beliefs and practices, usually involving acknowledgment of a
    > divine or higher being or power, by which people order the conduct of
    > their lives both practically and in a moral sense."
    >
    > So. I believe that you should always check if another rider who isn't on
    > their bike is OK. I believe the Pinch Flat Gods are real, and vindictive
    > [1] [2]. I believe that riding is a spiritual activity - I sure as shit
    > feel better after a ride. Riding is my religion, and I think I probably
    > will put it down, since I'm otherwise atheistic.

    Thanks for the nice quotable sentence. "Riding is a spiritual activity."

    You could describe the religion as a form of humanism : a belief in the
    over-riding goodness of human power.

    You might point to different denominations or sects in this religion, with
    significant differences in worshipping styles. There are mountain monks and
    followers of the flat bar, radical priests of the recumbent prayer,
    believers in the long tour, enlightened acceleration ascetics, fixed wheel
    worshippers, commuter converts, and artful maintainers of the zen cycle.

    It's gotta be worth a tax deduction...

    Cheers,

    Vince

  12. Travis

    Travis Guest

    cfsmtb wrote:

    > Who's also considering changing religions from Jedi Knight and putting
    > down "Cyclist" as their religion on the census?

    Last census I said I was in the Church of the Subgenius, but Bob hasn't
    done anything much for me lately so I'm going to turn to the Flying
    Spaghetti Monster in the hope that I can be touched by His noodly
    appendage...

    This year I'm putting "Pastafarian".

    Travis

  13. Random Data wrote:
    > On Wed, 10 May 2006 21:20:53 +1000, cfsmtb wrote:
    >

    >>Who's also considering changing religions from Jedi Knight and putting
    >>down "Cyclist" as their religion on the census?

    > I've been told that to qualify as a religion in Australia, you must
    > believe in something supernatural. Crap, I can't believe I'm actually
    > putting some time into this. From ABS publication 1266.0, the Australian
    > Standard Classification of Religion: "Generally, a religion is regarded as
    > a set of beliefs and practices, usually involving acknowledgment of a
    > divine or higher being or power, by which people order the conduct of
    > their lives both practically and in a moral sense."

    That is easy to do, plus there is stacks of "religious publications"
    around, plus it is not too hard to cobble together a lot of grap.

    Need an original label. Bible, koran, etc have been taken
    THE " ???? "

    Basic suggestion "Wheel Riders Compendium"
    Would included all HPV from unicycle to quad bikes and IC powered
    wheeled devices are the baddies. Note; need a catchy title for them as well.

    Base chapters on parts of a bicycle with each talking about the mystic
    properties ans spiritual guidance within {:)

    what we need is a web site, plus forum.

    > So. I believe that you should always check if another rider who isn't on
    > their bike is OK.

    > I believe the Pinch Flat Gods are real, and vindictive

    Okay, so it isn't going tobe monotheatic.
    Have a god of your choice.
    That will be good for following the lead of the RC and selling do-dads.

    > [1] [2]. I believe that riding is a spiritual activity - I sure as shit
    > feel better after a ride. Riding is my religion, and I think I probably
    > will put it down, since I'm otherwise atheistic.
    >
    > I wonder if I can do the NPWS and NPA for religious persecution since they
    > won't let me worship?

    Are you really happy about the Muslims/SDBR/christians/gypsies coming
    into your home and holding religious worship?

    > [1] Do you want a happy god or a vengeful god?

    Happy, the christians have got the mortgage on vengeful gods.

  14. Theo Bekkers wrote:
    > "Euan" wrote
    >
    >>Was talking to a colleague today who was moaning about having to

    > work in
    >
    >>the city tomorrow. ``Take the train'' I say, ``I would,'' says he
    >>``except my novated lease requires me to drive 25,000 in a year.

    > I'm a
    >
    >>bit shy of that so I need to drive whenever I can.''
    >>
    >>Us cyclists, especially those of us who don't own cars or by cycling
    >>manage one car between two or more, are quids in already. We don't

    > need
    >
    >>hand outs, we need pricing transparency on transport so the full

    > cost is
    >
    >>borne by the individual making that choice.

    > Not a handout but a tax.The FBT is 11% if you do 25,001 kms for the
    > year, 20% if you do 24,999 kms. A handout is where someone gives you
    > money, not when they take less money from you.
    >
    > Our company owns seven cars driven by our employees. The FBT on those
    > is more than $1,000 per WEEK. Does that sound like a handout to you?

    Yes, totally, because you are paying this tax because you are giving
    motor vehicles to employees to drive for private purposes. If you were
    not paying FBT on these vehicles, the employees would be paying income
    tax on the money they spend on these vehicles.

    If it was business purpose, it is a straight business expense.

  15. Travis wrote:

    > This year I'm putting "Pastafarian".

    Fscking pasta nuts. Every time we start talking about formalising the
    bicyle religions, these slimeys come out of the wood work {:).

    It's okay, I'm thinking "Jelly Snakes" and have this image of 1,000
    pecks as the birds eat your noodly appendages that have been squished
    into the foot path {:)

    Sigh, who would have ever thought that waiting on a street seat whilst
    swmbo went shoe shopping would be a religious event. Well, we were in
    the middle of bicycle shopping and I elected to watch the passing parade
    including the sparrows tring to retrieved a squashed jelly snake in
    between pedestrians.

  16. mogulhead

    mogulhead New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2003
    Maybe we could get bicycling set up as an official religion. Call it the church of bicyclology or something. It would be easy to get enough members. Once we get that tax free status we could put up bicycle churches all over the country with plenty of parking space for our object of veneration. Plus heaps of showers to maintain the purity of the believers and plenty of lockers to store the objects of worship. Plus we could have shops in the church selling religious artefacts like campag record groupsets etc.

    Cheers

  17. Random Data

    Random Data Guest

    On Thu, 11 May 2006 08:56:40 +1000, Terry Collins wrote:

    > Are you really happy about the Muslims/SDBR/christians/gypsies coming
    > into your home and holding religious worship?

    Private vs public property. Would you be happy to tell someone they had to
    get off a park bench because they were <insert religion here>?

    --
    Dave Hughes | [email protected]
    A General Manager who was channeling Captain Bligh only without the

  18. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Christianity has several precedents here. No doubt several other faiths may have something similar. I reckon as Cyclists of the One True Faith we've got a case here to be recognized as a valid spiritual belief.

    Patron Saint of Bicycling: Madonna del Ghisallo
    http://bicycleuniverse.info/stuff/patron-saint.html

    Services: November 2, December 24

    Madonna Del Ghisallo Pendant
    http://grahamwatson.safeshopper.com/81/410.htm?520

    Church of Madonna del Ghisallo:
    http://www.larioonline.it/italiano/centrolago/ghisallo.html

    Cyclists Prayer:
    http://www.geocities.com/cyclingsource/stories/prayer.htm

    Ditto, there's dozens of 'Blessing of the Bicycles' service held all over the world every year. :p

  19. EuanB

    EuanB New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2005
    Speaking as an employee, not a business owner, motorists get an effective handout if they salary sacrafice for a car.

    I pay fifty grand over two years for a car as salary sacrafice then that's 2f grand a year that's not subject to tax. That's a handout. What it costs the business is a different matter.

  20. rooman

    rooman New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2005
    Messages:
    1,167
    At least the "Blessings of the Bicycles" of several denominations align the "other" religions with the "One True Faith" be it a subset of Christianity or a multidemominational cement across all faiths, the cement of Cycleolgy.

    I would venture to suggest that from the "other "religions, more people across the globe ride bicycles who are NOT Christians than those who are. ( Bhuddists, Moslems, Hindus of India and China alone), so cycleology is a cement, a master belief in the benefits to mankind of this noble practice.

    Alas, sad but true, we have plenty of potential or existing Saints, look at the late Ken Kifer, Bob Breedlove, Amy Gillett, all certainly performed miracles since their sad passing in awakening the masses to Cycleology and healing hearts, minds and bodies of the cursed "Motorised Madness"

    We hold a religious observance at the end of each month known to many as a "Mass", critical to some courteous to many!

    And we hold an annual worldwide Religious observance every year in the World wide Ride of Silence....

    Cycleology is already a religion, in the purest sense and one of the Noblest and poorest, in true keeping of the true tenets of those churches who deliver truth, rather than amass fortunes .

    So brethren, we need to have a lottery permit to make it recognised in the eyes of the political beaurocrats...that seems to be all they take notice of and a tax waiver so that "poorest" tag can be addressed.

    • There is a Hymn "Bicycle" by Queen
    • Disciples aplenty- Sheldon Brown, Following of the Messengers, and Drunk Cyclist, the website calling all from yonder to the faith, to name just a few.
    • There is the cyclist's blood/drug "caffiene" just like communion wine blood/drug, and the body of the humble muffin, just like hard bread sometimes...
    • www.idiotdriver.com.au equates to the confessional in reverse, where disbelievers are denounced publicly .
    ah...all the attributes are present, observed and available to true followers

    prosletyse and ye shall be delivered from PFGs