No Fear

Gelsemium

Feb 17, 2015
One thing I notice with a lot of people I know that want to use the bike to commute is that they are afraid of the traffic, like my wife for example. :) I think this is pretty irrational, I mean, sure, we need to be careful, but it's perfectly safe to use the roads along with the cars, I've done it for years and it has improved my health and pocket haha. Do you have fear to ride the bike in the big cities in the middle of the traffic?

To be honest, I still have that beginner's fear of riding bike's in crowded areas. The fact that there are many drivers around me makes me nervous and I tend to avoid these situations. Traffic is a whole different story. I absolutely despise riding in traffic. One of my worst fears ever, but I hope to get over it soon!

No fear is the way forward. I actually think it's safer to not be fearful when riding on the roads, since other drivers can be sure of where you're going. If you ride with hesitation and uncertainty, drivers can get distracted. And it's those distractions I think that are the most dangerous!

Yep, pretty much like you say chopsticksavage (nice username lol), if we go with fear we are more likely to cause an accident than if we are not. Basically we just need to respect traffic rules and be well visible, bright colors and lights if it's at night. If drivers and people can see us we will be safe.

No fear is the way to go in all honesty. Sure every now and then bad experiences can get the better of you, but you cannot allow it to overwhelm you. The positive far outweighs the negative and commuting does far better things for you in the end. As long as we abide by the rules and take our precautions, there's no reason for fear. Most people tend to be far better understanding and will work with you as long as they see you. So it's simple really, I definitely agree with it. No fear.

Personally, no. Like you though my guy gets particularly nervous when we ride downtown in the city. I don't fault him. It does get ridiculous. However, it makes me immensely concerned about him & kind of complicates MY ride. <_<

Reactions: Gelsemium
Yep, I am having the same issue with... my 5 year old. :D He already dominates the ride technically, but he already has a lot of fear, I need to be patient with him, but I miss riding while I am just teaching him.

You really shouldn't be afraid to cycle in traffic. In most areas, it's not that big of a deal, although some areas are indeed a little dangerous. As long as you're paying attention to the road and what you're doing, then you can keep yourself safe more often than not. Drivers might get a little close to bikers and disrespect them, but you likely won't wind up getting hit by a car or anything.

Sure enough i do get the jitters sometimes but most of the times i always manage to manouvre through the busy streets when running errands. The trick is to have confidence in yourself and you'll notice that with time you'll be able to guide yourself without feeling scared of traffic.

I do a bit to be honest because I am fairly new, haven't really ridden since I was a child! So I am still kind of like "bike Bambi" wobbly and nervous but I know I need to gain a bi more confidence when I am riding. I don't commute as I work from home but when I do ride at the minute I try to stick to woods and paths etc.

If there is one thing I've learned while sharing the road with other motorist is, you have no control over the morons next to you. You have no idea what mental state they are in. They could be nuts for all you know and looking to hit you whether they meant to do it or not. Accidents happen, so do accidental homicides. Be aware of your surroundings and never trust anyone out of your own skin.

joshposh said:
If there is one thing I've learned while sharing the road with other motorist is, you have no control over the morons next to you. You have no idea what mental state they are in. They could be nuts for all you know and looking to hit you whether they meant to do it or not. Accidents happen, so do accidental homicides. Be aware of your surroundings and never trust anyone out of your own skin.
Hahaha....that's a good one, the morons on the road. As safe as you try to be there will always be someone out there looking to take you out or come up to unsuspectingly.

I might of come off as a little cynical. But the point I'm trying to make here is don't be afraid of sharing the road. There are things out of your control. You just need to respect the road and the conditions, and be weary of your surroundings.

joshposh said:
Exactly. Truth be told I really don't think the average motorists feels they're "sharing" the road. I know from my own experience (since I'm a motorist in addition to a cyclist) that when I'm driving I feel like the responsibility is put completely on me to not hit a cyclist. Whether or not their following the "rules" of the road doesn't matter. As much as some cyclists would like to think were equal to a motorized vehicle were really not. Most of the time were at the mercy of the drivers "good judgement" to look out for us. It's not us against them but rather which "hat" you're wearing on any given day. Granted you own a car and your life requires you to frequently drive such as mine.

bicyclez said:
As far as riding in heavy traffic next to cars...I live for it.
That's awesome. You have a lot of courage, while I'm not even that courageous, I'm often even afraid of walking next to traffic cars, it's a bit dangerous.

I marvel at your confidence in your fellow traffic users. I am sure with that kind of attitude you will always get to where you want to go without any major incidences. I believe in the law of attraction. :) I wished I had the same faith as you have. I've been knocked off my bike a couple of times by aggressive car drivers on deserted roads in Australia, so I don't really trust anyone while I am on the road. My philosophy is: Prevention is better than cure.

I do understand that some people don't use their bikes out of fear, but as long as you are careful and follow a few important commute safety rules then there in nothing to fear really. Not that driving a car is any safer...