No front brake - holy shit!

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Shaun Rimmer, Apr 22, 2003.

  1. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Went on a cool little ride yesterday - prolly RR it later, but anyhow, bike performed wonderfully.

    Got back home, hosed her down with normal hose, cold water.

    Set off for work this morning, and as usual, it's all uphill for ages. Come to the downhill towards
    the dual carriageway junction, turn off the road at speed, over some grass and onto pavement
    (sidewalk) to beat the busy, fast and dangerous main road junction, grab a bunch of front brake
    lever to slow for the sharp left and avoid running into the steel fence, and 'NOOOOOOOO!'

    myself up on the fence, and took it easy then, but still no useable brake up front. It's not been
    near any oil, lever pressure seems right so I don't suspect a leak, and it got nice and muddy/wet
    yesterday and was performing wonderfully. Gonna have to take a look at lunch time and see if I can
    find out what the hell is going on.

    With the loonies I have to cope with on my commute, I don't even want to ride the 5 + miles home
    without it once.

    Shaun aRe - anyone got any ideas before I take a look?

    Tags:

  2. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Shaun Rimmer <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Went on a cool little ride yesterday - prolly RR it later, but anyhow,
    bike
    > performed wonderfully.
    >
    > Got back home, hosed her down with normal hose, cold water.
    >
    > Set off for work this morning, and as usual, it's all uphill for ages.
    Come
    > to the downhill towards the dual carriageway junction, turn off the road
    at
    > speed, over some grass and onto pavement (sidewalk) to beat the busy, fast and dangerous main road
    > junction, grab a bunch of front brake lever to
    slow
    > for the sharp left and avoid running into the steel fence, and
    'NOOOOOOOO!'

    > myself up on the fence, and took it easy then, but still no useable brake
    up
    > front. It's not been near any oil, lever pressure seems right so I don't suspect a leak, and it
    > got nice and muddy/wet yesterday and was performing wonderfully. Gonna have to take a look at
    > lunch time and see if I can find out what the hell is going on.
    >
    > With the loonies I have to cope with on my commute, I don't even want to ride the 5 + miles home
    > without it once.
    >
    > Shaun aRe - anyone got any ideas before I take a look?

    "It seems this group is more interested in trying to belittle people than to answer a question
    concerning mountain biking, and or equipment. Does no one have any thoughts or answers on this
    subject, or all you too busy trying to be badasses"

    .....Oh, sorry! I came down with a case of 'lonely over-sensitive

    Right, brakes sorted (for now). It was oil, but a green scrub and dishliquid sorted out the
    rotor, and a bit of a do on the linisher (bench-top belt sander) and a blast with a heat gun
    sorted out the pads.

    Oil from where came? If you hadn't guessed already, here it is: - a dribble of oil had run down the
    l/h fork leg and dripped on the rotor - seems I may have a leaky seal in that leg, but I'll keep and
    eye on it to be sure. For now, I put a piece of rag around the fork leg to stop it running down.

    So, MXR seal and bushing kits, expensive? Easy job? Is a year of below average use normal life for
    these seals? (prolly around 14-1500 miles, a lot of that road commutes). Cheers!

    Shaun aRe - plenty of potential for corrupt minds to play in this post.....

  3. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > Oil from where came? If you hadn't guessed already, here it is: - a
    dribble
    > of oil had run down the l/h fork leg and dripped on the rotor - seems I
    may
    > have a leaky seal in that leg, but I'll keep and eye on it to be sure. For now, I put a piece of
    > rag around the fork leg to stop it running down.

    Same thing happened to me. Fortunately I discovered it before I really needed it!

    US$40 for fork seal rebuild kit from LBS and forks don't leak whatsoever now. It was surprisingly
    easy to do too. My faith has been restored in Marzocchi (My SID has never leaked).

  4. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    John Harlow <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Oil from where came? If you hadn't guessed already, here it is: - a
    > dribble
    > > of oil had run down the l/h fork leg and dripped on the rotor - seems I
    > may
    > > have a leaky seal in that leg, but I'll keep and eye on it to be sure.
    For
    > > now, I put a piece of rag around the fork leg to stop it running down.
    >
    > Same thing happened to me. Fortunately I discovered it before I really needed it!
    >
    > US$40 for fork seal rebuild kit from LBS and forks don't leak whatsoever now. It was surprisingly
    > easy to do too. My faith has been restored in Marzocchi (My SID has never leaked).

    Cool, but it seems a bit steep at what I figure is approaching £30. Bit pissed that they are leaking
    after 1 year, to be honest.

    Shaun aRe

  5. "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Went on a cool little ride yesterday - prolly RR it later, but anyhow,
    bike
    > performed wonderfully.
    >
    > Got back home, hosed her down with normal hose, cold water.
    >
    > Set off for work this morning, and as usual, it's all uphill for ages.
    Come
    > to the downhill towards the dual carriageway junction, turn off the road
    at
    > speed, over some grass and onto pavement (sidewalk) to beat the busy, fast and dangerous main road
    > junction, grab a bunch of front brake lever to
    slow
    > for the sharp left and avoid running into the steel fence, and
    'NOOOOOOOO!'

    > myself up on the fence, and took it easy then, but still no useable brake
    up
    > front. It's not been near any oil, lever pressure seems right so I don't suspect a leak, and it
    > got nice and muddy/wet yesterday and was performing wonderfully. Gonna have to take a look at
    > lunch time and see if I can find out what the hell is going on.
    >
    > With the loonies I have to cope with on my commute, I don't even want to ride the 5 + miles home
    > without it once.
    >
    > Shaun aRe - anyone got any ideas before I take a look?

    Shaun, are talking about the bike with the hope Minis? If so - I have no f*cking clue. Do the pads
    move at all when you pull on the lever?

    Steve E.

  6. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    spademan o---[) * <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Shaun, are talking about the bike with the hope Minis?

    Yup,

    > If so - I have no f*cking clue. Do the pads move at all when you pull on the lever?

    Yeah, pads moved, lever pressure normal - figured it out and posted, your server must be slow today
    or summink, so, here's the scoop:

    "Right, brakes sorted (for now). It was oil, but a green scrub and dishliquid sorted out the
    rotor, and a bit of a do on the linisher (bench-top belt sander) and a blast with a heat gun
    sorted out the pads.

    Oil from where came? If you hadn't guessed already, here it is: - a dribble of oil had run down the
    l/h fork leg and dripped on the rotor - seems I may have a leaky seal in that leg, but I'll keep and
    eye on it to be sure. For now, I put a piece of rag around the fork leg to stop it running down.

    So, MXR seal and bushing kits, expensive? Easy job? Is a year of below average use normal life for
    these seals? (prolly around 14-1500 miles, a lot of that road commutes). Cheers!"

    Cheers Steve - I'll get back to you soon re: Saturday, too.

    Shaun aRe

  7. > So, MXR seal and bushing kits, expensive? Easy job? Is a year of below average use normal life for
    > these seals? (prolly around 14-1500 miles, a
    lot
    > of that road commutes). Cheers!

    Shaun mate, http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/viewproduct.asp?category=Forks+Spares&Mod elID=743 at
    £19.99 for your bushings and
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/viewproduct.asp?category=Forks+Spares&Mod elID=252 at £2.99 for
    your seals.

    I did this job before I went to Italy last year - piece of piss. Just go by the manual
    (http://www.marzocchi.com/download/manuali_pdf/MTB_02stndrd_900721.pdf) and it should be done in
    about 30 minutes or so.

    Hope you get it sorted man

    Small Black Dog

  8. "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Shaun Rimmer <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Went on a cool little ride yesterday - prolly RR it later, but anyhow,
    > bike
    > > performed wonderfully.
    > >
    > > Got back home, hosed her down with normal hose, cold water.
    > >
    > > Set off for work this morning, and as usual, it's all uphill for ages.
    > Come
    > > to the downhill towards the dual carriageway junction, turn off the road
    > at
    > > speed, over some grass and onto pavement (sidewalk) to beat the busy,
    fast
    > > and dangerous main road junction, grab a bunch of front brake lever to
    > slow
    > > for the sharp left and avoid running into the steel fence, and
    > 'NOOOOOOOO!'

    smashing
    > > myself up on the fence, and took it easy then, but still no useable
    brake
    > up
    > > front. It's not been near any oil, lever pressure seems right so I don't suspect a leak, and it
    > > got nice and muddy/wet yesterday and was
    performing
    > > wonderfully. Gonna have to take a look at lunch time and see if I can
    find
    > > out what the hell is going on.
    > >
    > > With the loonies I have to cope with on my commute, I don't even want to ride the 5 + miles home
    > > without it once.
    > >
    > > Shaun aRe - anyone got any ideas before I take a look?
    >
    > "It seems this group is more interested in trying to belittle people than to answer a question
    > concerning mountain biking, and or equipment. Does no one have any thoughts or answers on this
    > subject, or all you too busy trying to be badasses"
    >
    > .....Oh, sorry! I came down with a case of 'lonely over-sensitive

    Right ya bar-steward, WTF do you think I offered - frickin' advice thats what. I couldn't diagnose
    your stoopid little problem because yer didn't give me enuff info, wot am I a FRICKIN' MIND READER!
    I replied in as courteous manner as I could manage, actually offering some diagnostic help, and then
    you go and ignore my post!

    Is it because I is white?

  9. > Right, brakes sorted (for now). It was oil, but a green scrub and dishliquid sorted out the rotor,
    > and a bit of a do on the linisher (bench-top belt sander) and a blast with a heat gun sorted out
    > the pads.
    >
    > Oil from where came? If you hadn't guessed already, here it is: - a dribble of oil had run down
    > the l/h fork leg and dripped on the rotor - seems I may have a leaky seal in that leg, but I'll
    > keep and eye on it to be sure. For now, I put a piece of rag around the fork leg to stop it
    > running down.
    >
    > So, MXR seal and bushing kits, expensive? Easy job? Is a year of below average use normal life for
    > these seals? (prolly around 14-1500 miles, a lot

    Do you happen to hang your bike upside down?
    --
    _________________________

  10. On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 13:07:41 +0100, Shaun Rimmer did issue forth:

    > "It seems this group is more interested in trying to belittle people than to answer a question
    > concerning mountain biking, and or equipment. Does no one have any thoughts or answers on this
    > subject, or all you too busy trying to be badasses"

    Is it my fault that you happen to be inconsiderate enough to post only whilst I'm in work? I think
    not. If I'd been around before you announced "Hey everybody, I've done it. I'm great, me." then I
    might have offered you some advice, you self-centred jumped up Northern tosspot.

  11. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 10:28:09 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >grab a bunch of front brake lever to slow for the sharp left and avoid running into the steel
    >fence, and 'NOOOOOOOO!'

    Didn't if feel like you accelerated? What a sweet feeling of fear!

    :-]

  12. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    spademan o---[) * <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > > Shaun aRe - anyone got any ideas before I take a look?
    > >
    > > "It seems this group is more interested in trying to belittle people than to answer a question
    > > concerning mountain biking, and or equipment. Does no one have any thoughts or answers on this
    > > subject, or all you too busy trying to be badasses"
    > >
    > > .....Oh, sorry! I came down with a case of 'lonely over-sensitive

    > Right ya bar-steward, WTF do you think I offered - frickin' advice thats what.

    it was a question you offered.

    > I couldn't diagnose your stoopid little problem because yer didn't give me enuff info, wot am I a
    > FRICKIN' MIND READER! I replied in as courteous manner as I could manage, actually offering some
    > diagnostic
    help,
    > and then you go and ignore my post!

    I answered it, fool.

    > Is it because I is white?

    A pale shade of blue, more like.........

    Shaun aRe

  13. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 10:28:09 +0100, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >grab a bunch of front brake lever to slow for the sharp left and avoid running into the steel
    > >fence, and
    'NOOOOOOOO!'

    > Didn't if feel like you accelerated?

    Errrmm, not quite this time, but I have been there before..

    > What a sweet feeling of fear!

    Yeah, it is when you just landed a big jump on a *250 cc 2 stroke field bike, and you're trying to
    slow to turn away from a wall to pull around the track corner at over 35 mph, pull the fr brake
    lever, and you hear a 'crunchping!' as the front brake cable goes to front brake cable heaven. Thank
    god for Metzeler MX race tyres, a heavy boot, and big berms.......

    *(very little engine braking....).

    Shaun aRe

  14. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Small Black Dog <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > So, MXR seal and bushing kits, expensive? Easy job? Is a year of below average use normal life
    > > for these seals? (prolly around 14-1500 miles, a
    > lot
    > > of that road commutes). Cheers!
    >
    > Shaun mate,

    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/viewproduct.asp?category=Forks+Spares&Mod
    > elID=743 at £19.99 for your bushings and

    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/viewproduct.asp?category=Forks+Spares&Mod
    > elID=252 at £2.99 for your seals.
    >
    > I did this job before I went to Italy last year - piece of piss. Just go
    by
    > the manual (http://www.marzocchi.com/download/manuali_pdf/MTB_02stndrd_900721.pdf)
    and
    > it should be done in about 30 minutes or so.
    >
    > Hope you get it sorted man

    Cheers SBD! Muchly apreciated',;~}~

    It does look like the seal has gone on the l/h leg, cos there is oil all up and down the slider, and
    if I pull the top of the seal out (under the spring-ring), more comes out. Other leg seems fine-ish,
    but still more oily that it was.

    It might not have been that that got oil on my rotor though - on my way past same place my brakes
    failed me yesterday, I noticed a strong oily smell, and thought I saw something on the grass (going
    to quick to see for sure) - gonna investergate on my way home - if the grass is covered in oil, that
    might be what caused the problem, and the seals thing, something I just found out by chance.

    Thanks again!

    Shaun aRe

  15. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Chris Phillipo <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > Right, brakes sorted (for now). It was oil, but a green scrub and
    dishliquid
    > > sorted out the rotor, and a bit of a do on the linisher (bench-top belt sander) and a blast with
    > > a heat gun sorted out the pads.
    > >
    > > Oil from where came? If you hadn't guessed already, here it is: - a
    dribble
    > > of oil had run down the l/h fork leg and dripped on the rotor - seems I
    may
    > > have a leaky seal in that leg, but I'll keep and eye on it to be sure.
    For
    > > now, I put a piece of rag around the fork leg to stop it running down.
    > >
    > > So, MXR seal and bushing kits, expensive? Easy job? Is a year of below average use normal life
    > > for these seals? (prolly around 14-1500 miles, a
    lot

    > Do you happen to hang your bike upside down?

    Nope, never, not I. Why for you asking me this?

    Shaun aRe

  16. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Huw Pritchard <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 13:07:41 +0100, Shaun Rimmer did issue forth:
    >
    > > "It seems this group is more interested in trying to belittle people
    than
    > > to answer a question concerning mountain biking, and or equipment. Does
    no
    > > one have any thoughts or answers on this subject, or all you too busy trying to be badasses"
    >
    > Is it my fault that you happen to be inconsiderate enough to post only whilst I'm in work?

    Well, it's ardly my fault - go get yersef sacked or summink.....

    > I think not. If I'd been around before you announced "Hey everybody, I've done it. I'm great, me."

    I never said the 'I'm great me' bit, so, you must think I'm great or something. Welcome to the queue
    for fan club membership Huw ',;~P~

    > then I might have offered you some advice, you self-centred jumped up Northern tosspot.

    How can a man of my refined sense of self worth and intellectual invincibility possibly argue
    that point?

    Shaun aRe - 'White men can't jump, so, I got a tan.......'.....

  17. > Cheers SBD! Muchly apreciated',;~}~

    No problem dude

    Small Black Dog

  18. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Yeah, it is when you just landed a big jump on a *250 cc 2 stroke field bike, and you're trying to
    >slow to turn away from a wall to pull around the track corner at over 35 mph, pull the fr brake
    >lever, and you hear a 'crunchping!' as the front brake cable goes to front brake cable heaven.
    >Thank god for Metzeler MX race tyres, a heavy boot, and big berms.......
    >
    >*(very little engine braking....).

    Ya big sissy. If you made the corner, you didn't NEED the front brake anyway.

  19. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Yeah, it is when you just landed a big jump on a *250 cc 2 stroke field bike, and you're trying
    > >to slow to turn away from a wall to pull around
    the
    > >track corner at over 35 mph, pull the fr brake lever, and you hear a 'crunchping!' as the front
    > >brake cable goes to front brake cable heaven. Thank god for Metzeler MX race tyres, a heavy boot,
    > >and big berms.......
    > >
    > >*(very little engine braking....).
    >
    > Ya big sissy. If you made the corner, you didn't NEED the front brake anyway.

    That's what you think, but, you weren't there and trying to catch some flash kid on a race tuned
    RM125. I locked the back end that hard, only reason I got round was because I slammed the berm,
    nearly rode over it, then had to turn back down onto the track. Ugly, slow cornering, that was, not
    to mention, I was that adrenalised I forgot to wind the throttle back for a full second.

    Shaun aRe

  20. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Shaun Rimmer <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    Well, seals are definitely FUBAR, but I also found what appeared to be a substantial diesel spill on
    the patch of grass I hit just before the brakes failed, so, I don't know which was actually to blame
    in the end. Don't suppose it much matters now anyhow!

    Thanks for the helpful advice folkses ',:~}~

    Shaun aRe