No Giro this past Sunday on OLN?

Steve Freides

Guest
Monday night I finally got around to seeing what I had Tivo'ed from
Sunday bike racing on OLN and all I got was the Tour de Romandie and no
Giro - is that right? (Or did one of my kids delete the Giro?) Sad to
see they don't cover it every day of late, but hey, cyclingnews.com
ain't bad.

Thanks.

-S-

In article <[email protected]>,
Steve Freides <[email protected]> wrote:
>Monday night I finally got around to seeing what I had Tivo'ed from
>Sunday bike racing on OLN and all I got was the Tour de Romandie and no
>Giro - is that right? (Or did one of my kids delete the Giro?) Sad to
>see they don't cover it every day of late, but hey, cyclingnews.com
>ain't bad.

I happened to be home at the time, and my Tivo didn't start recording
the Giro coverage, so I started a manual record. I checked the
season pass and it was not going to record the Giro coverage that it
had info for (next Sunday), so I forced a record of that too.

I'm not sure why this is happening - either OLN gave Tivo bad info or Tivo
thinks it's already recorded it so it won't do it again.

--
Mike Iglesias Email: [email protected]
University of California, Irvine phone: 949-824-6926

"Mike Iglesias" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Steve Freides <[email protected]> wrote:
>>Monday night I finally got around to seeing what I had Tivo'ed from
>>Sunday bike racing on OLN and all I got was the Tour de Romandie and
>>no
>>Giro - is that right? (Or did one of my kids delete the Giro?) Sad
>>see they don't cover it every day of late, but hey, cyclingnews.com
>>ain't bad.

> I happened to be home at the time, and my Tivo didn't start recording
> the Giro coverage, so I started a manual record. I checked the
> season pass and it was not going to record the Giro coverage that it
> had info for (next Sunday), so I forced a record of that too.
>
> I'm not sure why this is happening - either OLN gave Tivo bad info or
> Tivo
> thinks it's already recorded it so it won't do it again.

OLN keeps getting worse, but I guess full TdF coverage counts for
something. It will be interesting, post Lance, to see how long that
lasts.

-S-

Steve Freides wrote:
> OLN keeps getting worse, but I guess full TdF coverage counts for
> something. It will be interesting, post Lance, to see how long that
> lasts.

It won't even last to this years event. You wait and see. If Landis,
Leipheimer or Danielson get hurt or are not up to snuff - and none of
them appear to have any GC chances.. Just watch for the coverage to
quietly fade ... away...

"Mike Iglesias" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Steve Freides <[email protected]> wrote:
>>Monday night I finally got around to seeing what I had Tivo'ed from
>>Sunday bike racing on OLN and all I got was the Tour de Romandie and no
>>Giro - is that right? (Or did one of my kids delete the Giro?) Sad to
>>see they don't cover it every day of late, but hey, cyclingnews.com
>>ain't bad.

> I happened to be home at the time, and my Tivo didn't start recording
> the Giro coverage, so I started a manual record. I checked the
> season pass and it was not going to record the Giro coverage that it
> had info for (next Sunday), so I forced a record of that too.
>
> I'm not sure why this is happening - either OLN gave Tivo bad info or Tivo
> thinks it's already recorded it so it won't do it again.

I checked with Tivo. They claim that the info that they received had
program information that it was a repeat of the show from last week, so if
you Tivoed last Sunday the "The same show was recorded within the last 28
days" rule went into effect.

No tivo in my house, just a dvr/hd.
Oln showed the Tour of Romandie for 1 hour at 2 pm cst
and the Giro for 2 hours at 4 pm cst
got em both.
A change from the occasional local cable company showing static on oln
on sundays.

Steve Freides wrote:
> Monday night I finally got around to seeing what I had Tivo'ed from
> Sunday bike racing on OLN and all I got was the Tour de Romandie and no
> Giro - is that right? (Or did one of my kids delete the Giro?) Sad to
> see they don't cover it every day of late, but hey, cyclingnews.com
> ain't bad.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -S-

I record it on VHS but stay a few weeks behind. I believe it came on at
5-7 EST on Sunday like usual. This should have been the second
installment of GIRO. It has not been bad this year on OLN. Recapping
everything I can remember quickly, Tour of Flanders, Paris-Roubaise,
Paris-Nice, Leige-Bastogne-Leige. Seems like there have been one or two
more. I didn't get Tour of Georgia for some reason, or else I just
haven't found it yet.

"Steve Freides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Monday night I finally got around to seeing what I had Tivo'ed from
> Sunday bike racing on OLN and all I got was the Tour de Romandie and no
> Giro - is that right? (Or did one of my kids delete the Giro?) Sad to
> see they don't cover it every day of late, but hey, cyclingnews.com
> ain't bad.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -S-

It's a conspiracy. The powers that be, Armstrong, Ochowicz et al. who
control cycling in the US do not wany us to watch the Giro. The Disco and
Phonak teams are not doing well enough. Hence we are being refocused for
the TdF with theior surprise winner.

Steve Freides wrote:

> OLN keeps getting worse, but I guess full TdF coverage counts for
> something. It will be interesting, post Lance, to see how long that
> lasts.

Did you hear something about that? On the web (Giro) coverage, I
thought I heard the commentator comment that OLN was still negotiating
for rights to broadcast the TdF. I have a secret hope that Discovery
Channel will pick it up instead, hire a camera crew with HD equipment
and we'll get live coverage in HD. As long as I'm dreaming, might as
well pull out all of the stops. ;)

And as far as recording goes. My Comcast (Motorola) recorder started
recording Sunday and was still recording Monday morning, so it looks
like the info that OLN provided might have been wrong or incomplete.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> No tivo in my house, just a dvr/hd.
> Oln showed the Tour of Romandie for 1 hour at 2 pm cst
> and the Giro for 2 hours at 4 pm cst
> got em both.
> A change from the occasional local cable company showing static on oln
> on sundays.

Just curious, what DVR do you have? Seems like most simple models aren't
available any longer.

-Tony

For what it is worth, my media center PC missed the Giro on Sunday as
well - and it's TV listings are downloaded weekly. I'm thinking I was
a victim of the "no repeats" rule that was stated earlier.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The Fix is to set up cycling season pass and change the option to
> record "all" shows including duplicates.

This doesn't work if Tivo thinks it is the same episode that was aired in
the last 28 days

"Mike Iglesias" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Steve Freides <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Monday night I finally got around to seeing what I had Tivo'ed from
> >Sunday bike racing on OLN and all I got was the Tour de Romandie and no
> >Giro - is that right? (Or did one of my kids delete the Giro?) Sad to
> >see they don't cover it every day of late, but hey, cyclingnews.com
> >ain't bad.

> I happened to be home at the time, and my Tivo didn't start recording
> the Giro coverage, so I started a manual record. I checked the
> season pass and it was not going to record the Giro coverage that it
> had info for (next Sunday), so I forced a record of that too.
>
> I'm not sure why this is happening - either OLN gave Tivo bad info or Tivo
> thinks it's already recorded it so it won't do it again.

OLN has had on ongoing problem with poor info to TIVO. If anyone tried to
record the Lance Chronicles last year with a season pass it was almost
impossible because there was no info to distinguish episodes, same with
stages. I happened to catch Sunday's Giro right after the start, otherwise I
would have missed it as well.
Bill

Mike Iglesias wrote:
:: In article <[email protected]>,
:: Steve Freides <[email protected]> wrote:
::: Monday night I finally got around to seeing what I had Tivo'ed from
::: Sunday bike racing on OLN and all I got was the Tour de Romandie
::: and no Giro - is that right? (Or did one of my kids delete the
::: Giro?) Sad to see they don't cover it every day of late, but hey,
::: cyclingnews.com ain't bad.
::
:: I happened to be home at the time, and my Tivo didn't start recording
:: the Giro coverage, so I started a manual record. I checked the
:: season pass and it was not going to record the Giro coverage that it
:: had info for (next Sunday), so I forced a record of that too.

I found that my Tivo had recording another cycling event on Sunday that
aired earlier in the day....foruntately, I saw the event was on another TV
and got another one of my Tivos on the job....

Don't know what was up with that....

::
:: I'm not sure why this is happening - either OLN gave Tivo bad info
:: or Tivo thinks it's already recorded it so it won't do it again.

That's what I think...(the latter).

::
::
:: --

Steve Freides wrote:
:: OLN keeps getting worse, but I guess full TdF coverage counts for
:: something. It will be interesting, post Lance, to see how long that
:: lasts.

Why isn't Lance commentating? He's doing that Satellite radio thing, right?
OLN ought to ditch either Phil and go with Lance. ;)

"Frank Drackman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Mike Iglesias" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> Steve Freides <[email protected]> wrote:
>>>Monday night I finally got around to seeing what I had Tivo'ed from
>>>Sunday bike racing on OLN and all I got was the Tour de Romandie and
>>>no
>>>Giro - is that right? (Or did one of my kids delete the Giro?) Sad
>>>see they don't cover it every day of late, but hey, cyclingnews.com
>>>ain't bad.

>> I happened to be home at the time, and my Tivo didn't start recording
>> the Giro coverage, so I started a manual record. I checked the
>> season pass and it was not going to record the Giro coverage that it
>> had info for (next Sunday), so I forced a record of that too.
>>
>> I'm not sure why this is happening - either OLN gave Tivo bad info or
>> Tivo
>> thinks it's already recorded it so it won't do it again.
>>

> I checked with Tivo. They claim that the info that they received had
> program information that it was a repeat of the show from last week,
> so if you Tivoed last Sunday the "The same show was recorded within
> the last 28 days" rule went into effect.

Yes, that's exactly right. I called DirecTV today and also sent email
to OLN. If the program description is exactly the same, it thinks it's
a rerun.

-S-

On 17 May 2006 13:04:57 -0700, "HanbB" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have a secret hope that Discovery
>Channel will pick it up instead, hire a camera crew with HD equipment
>and we'll get live coverage in HD. As long as I'm dreaming, might as
>well pull out all of the stops. ;)

And the reality would be Phil apologizing even more often for the
picture breaking up. The climbs on the sunny days would be great,
though.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

> No tivo in my house, just a dvr/hd.
> Oln showed the Tour of Romandie for 1 hour at 2 pm cst
> and the Giro for 2 hours at 4 pm cst
> got em both.
> A change from the occasional local cable company showing static on oln
> on sundays.

>Just curious, what DVR do you have? Seems like most simple models aren't
>available any longer. -Tony.

I have an ILO DVRHD04
http://www.ilohelp.com/dvdrhd04.htm
wally mart special version made by Lite-on of Taiwan. Lite-on is a
major manufacturer of dvd drives for computers & dvrs. This model has
an 80 gig hd and a dvd burner. $279 new in 2004. I normally record to
hd, only burn dvds of shows I want to keep. Uses pc standard hd and
dvdr drive. The great thing about having the hd is capacity. Stores
up to 30 hours of its top quality recording level (has 4 levels). No
worrying about a mere 2 hour dvd disk filling or a measly 6 hour tape
running out. Was full of problems at first but they designed it so you
could download updated firmware via the web, burn that to a cdr, insert
that cd and it would reprogram itself. Pretty slick. They have since
fixed all the major problems and it works pretty well. You can
manually program it to record like a vcr, use the vcr+ method or one
touch recording. does timeshift. Has a firewire port so you can burn
dvds from your digital camcorder. Does not do tivo type of grid
search and self programing. But then there is no monthly fee either or
relying on someone else to feed proper program info into the system.

So it's not available anymore. I would guess Lite-on still sells some
version.
http://www.liteonit.com/
LVW-5045 looks to be the current model. $300+
There are a few other brands on the market that get varrying reviews.
Or if you don't mind leaving your computer on all the time, Sony still
sells some pcs with the built in tv/cable tuner and Giga pocket
software or you can buy a tv tuner card and software that does the same
thing for your current pc.

Rick