No Hands

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mr John X, Jun 15, 2003.

  1. Mr John X

    Mr John X Guest

    I have just tightened up trhe headset on my old Raleigh road bike and on riding 'no hands' the bike
    seems to want to lean to one side or the other. How has this been brought about. This post is not to
    attract a safety debate; I learned no hands in about 1970 and only do it where safe !

    Tags:

  2. Ivor Cave

    Ivor Cave Guest

    Mr John X wrote:
    > I have just tightened up trhe headset on my old Raleigh road bike and on riding 'no hands' the
    > bike seems to want to lean to one side or the other. How has this been brought about. This post is
    > not to attract a safety debate; I learned no hands in about 1970 and only do it where safe !

    Your head set is possibly too tight now?

    Ivor Cave

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Mr John X wrote:
    > I have just tightened up trhe headset on my old Raleigh road bike and on riding 'no hands' the
    > bike seems to want to lean to one side or the other. How has this been brought about.

    Headset is probably too tight (running with excessive friction), although perhaps you've too much
    lunch? :)

    I would try readjusting - just past the point of play*, making sure bars can swing when front end is
    lifted and tilted.

    * Test for play by rocking bike back and forth with front brake on.

    > This post is not to attract a safety debate; I learned no hands in about 1970 and only do it
    > where safe !

    No, it is indeed a good way to test steering and forks, etc, etc.

    ~PB

  4. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 10:03:07 +0000 (UTC), "Mr John X" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have just tightened up trhe headset on my old Raleigh road bike and on riding 'no hands' the bike
    >seems to want to lean to one side or the other. How has this been brought about.

    That's a bit like saying you tightened up the bottom bracket and asking why it's suddenly got
    harder to pedal.

    --
    Dave...

  5. Mr John X

    Mr John X Guest

    "Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 10:03:07 +0000 (UTC), "Mr John X" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I have just tightened up trhe headset on my old Raleigh road bike and on riding 'no hands' the
    > >bike seems to want to lean to one side or the
    other.
    > >How has this been brought about.
    >
    > That's a bit like saying you tightened up the bottom bracket and asking why it's suddenly got
    > harder to pedal.
    >
    > --
    > Dave...

    Indeed,I would go along with your sentiments it was a poorly worded post. Fundamentally a question
    on the correct setting of this part of a bicycle. Kindly answered by Mr Cave.-Thanks.