No Heart Rate Display on PT

bike boy

Oct 16, 2005
My heart rate is not showing on my pt, tried it with the cycleops chest strap and my polar and both not working.

only had 50 hours use.

Any ideas

bike boy said:
My heart rate is not showing on my pt, tried it with the cycleops chest strap and my polar and both not working.

only had 50 hours use.

Any ideas

Replace the battery in the computer head. The heart rate function is the first to go.

The HR receiver is pretty flimsy in the current PT computer. Even after putting in a fresh battery, you may not get a signal. Call Saris and ask them to send you a new computer. After you receive the new one, you return the old one and the only cost is postage. You can transfer the odometer reading so you don't lose that. I've gone through two PT SL computers already with ~5K miles on my SL hub.

bike boy said:

only had 50 hours use.

Any ideas

get some water and put it on your chest then put the strap on... this time of year your skin tends to get dry and may not have enough conductivity to register on the PT or especially the polar

doctorSpoc said:
get some water and put it on your chest then put the strap on... this time of year your skin tends to get dry and may not have enough conductivity to register on the PT or especially the polar
Do you have the Polar speed transmitter on the bike? Mine interferes with the PT's HR reception.

F1_Fan said:
Do you have the Polar speed transmitter on the bike? Mine interferes with the PT's HR reception.
No I just have the power tap. was using my polar moniter only along side it to strat with but it was a bit hit and miss picking up the signal from the codded strap. some days it would some days not.

Just been using the cycleops strap recently and leaving my polar at home but the last few days had to use the polar to record my heart rate.

Thanks for your help

Maybe ill try the battery before i send it back

bike boy said:
No I just have the power tap. was using my polar moniter only along side it to strat with but it was a bit hit and miss picking up the signal from the codded strap. some days it would some days not.

Just been using the cycleops strap recently and leaving my polar at home but the last few days had to use the polar to record my heart rate.

Thanks for your help

Maybe ill try the battery before i send it back
I've tried batteries in both the computers and chest straps. The results didn't change. Saris to date sent three new computers, two chest straps and the dropped HR still remains a problem. IMHO the HR function on the PT is way below standard for what the cost of the device is. I give it two thumbs down.

stumped

If i used my polar to record heart rate can i then add this onto my graph in cycling peaks?

stumped said:
I've tried batteries in both the computers and chest straps. The results didn't change. Saris to date sent three new computers, two chest straps and the dropped HR still remains a problem. IMHO the HR function on the PT is way below standard for what the cost of the device is. I give it two thumbs down.
I agree with this observation. I think it is the quality of the HR wireless receiver in the PT computer itself. I don't think it has anything to do with the chest strap. I'd care more but I don't make much use of HR now that I have fully adapted to training with power. Also, I have a HAC4 mounted on my handlebar, mainly for the stopwatch function, so I have an alternative source for on-bike HR.

The head unit keeps reading FULL at the start of each ride where the heart rate is displayed aven though i have cleared it before the ride.

Any clues?

bike boy said:
The head unit keeps reading FULL at the start of each ride where the heart rate is displayed aven though i have cleared it before the ride.

Any clues?
That's interesting. It sounds as though there is a counter in the program that is not getting reset with the clear function. The only hard reset I can find is to remove the battery. This should clear all stored values except the odometer. You will have to go through the setup functions again because it will lose those values, so you might want to write them down before you go through this procedure.

FYI...don't know if you figure out your issue but I ended up with the same thing happening over the weekend. I changed the battery, but the CPU still would not register heartrate. It was also giving me wonky speed readings. I went back through all of the set up and configuration screens on the CPU. With that, it is working fine again. Might be worth a try if you are still having trouble.

rule62 said:
FYI...don't know if you figure out your issue but I ended up with the same thing happening over the weekend. I changed the battery, but the CPU still would not register heartrate. It was also giving me wonky speed readings. I went back through all of the set up and configuration screens on the CPU. With that, it is working fine again. Might be worth a try if you are still having trouble.
Tried all that and still having problems so had a new chest strap sent out (told them it was not that) still not working so waiting for a new head unit.

Everything else working fine just get full flashing up every 5 minutes