No Helmet = No Seatbelt!!!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by rowskein, Oct 4, 2007.

1. janiejones

janiejones New Member

but it is nice to dream... I think old Steelem might be getting his mphs mixed up with his kphs - that would explain his nice speed.

See, I told you he was from Oz.

2. steelem

steelem New Member

UK actually & i believe it to be mph not kph my dear

3. janiejones

janiejones New Member

well at least I only added an "s" and not 15mph:p

well done in the game the other day, Johnny is pretty good at kicking that darn ball - and pretty likable.

4. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

My racing days are long over. Nobody's gonna sponsor a 49 year old rider anyway, no matter how good he is. I have more or less trained nearly every year since age 9. Last year I got really serious and after spending the winter on rollers, I took the entire summer off to train in earnest. It paid off with sprints just over 35 MPH and average 27 MPH "wind downs". Unfortunately I have had to go back to work to pay the bills so I am struggling to try to keep my gains. Unfortunately I have felt a decline:( .

I don't think that I would have the stamina for the TDF anyway, I was't doing intervals but once every three days and the other two I was just spinning for distance. One other thing, the start would scare me to death and I would probably take out half the pelaton in one big pileup:D .

Now onto helmets......are they required in Australia? If so, is the law strictly enforced? We have a bunch of laws here in the US that might as well not even be on the books, such as no riding bicycles on the sidewalks as they are a hazard to pedestrians. Everywhere I go I see people riding on the sidewalks and the police just cruise on by. Are your helmet laws enforced better than that? What kind of fine or penalty does one face if they are cited?

5. threaded

threaded New Member

Give the chap a break: have a look at my speeds on motionbased: regularly hit in excess of 50kph (30+mph) and that is a mountain bike on single track. Last race I did, which was rainy and fantastically muddy, so had to run near flat tires, peaked at only 54kph.

On my commute, which you won't find on motionbased as I don't want to leave a big arrow on the net pointing out where a load of expensive bikes live, I have to make sure I'm not breaking the speed limit, 50kph, jumping from light to light

I'm not a youngster either, or a pro. Just do it for the fun.

6. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

Sure, I can sprint 55-60km/h on the flat too, but between intervals I'm more likely to be at 30km/h, or less.

7. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

Required, yes. Enforced, not really. I've never seen or heard of anyone being busted. But most wear them. Those that don't tend to ride at night on darkened streets wearing all black and waiting for Darwin, if you know what I mean.
    Fine amount, I don't know.

8. threaded

threaded New Member

On the flat I try and keep it above 35 kph, 85 rpm cadence. Every ride is a training session: maneuvers are bloodless battles, battles but bloody maneuvers. :D

9. rowskein

rowskein New Member

Oddly enough, most of the info i've dug up about helmets seems to imply a fall at slow speed is the one area it will most likely be of use. A helmet is apparently of little use should you smash your head in a fall descinding a 1 in 20 at 60mph or bouncing your head of a windscreen at a similar speed.

The reason i asked for no personal testimonies is there are already plenty on the forum. More than enough to scare you and I felt it a little biased as you're more likely to respond if you've had a near miss than if something has never happend to you.

Anyway it turns out cycling is very safe helmet or not (even in the UK) so i've ended up reaching the same conclusion as all the other discussions. Wear one or not it's your descision (unless you live in Aussie or you're under 16)

10. cricketk

cricketk New Member

I've not seen too many without helmets here in Perth, but when they first brought compulsory helmets in, I can't count the rafts of people I know who had to go to education lectures. I don't know what the fine is, but I've never really worried about it. Helmets on motorbikes and pushbikes are just business as usual for me.

11. mikesbytes

mikesbytes New Member

True, but its not enforced in Sydney. Can't speak for the rest of OZ.

The only reason not to wear a helmet is cos your stupid.

12. 1id10t

1id10t New Member

Not sure if that's entirely true. One of the guys I work with who rides from the Eastern Suburbs to the city has been fined twice for not wearing a helmet and once for riding without lights at night. Both ocassions near Hyde Park.

13. Albert 50

Albert 50 New Member

You're being kind ;)

I did hear a cop tell a lady as she rode on the footpath to wear a helmet next time. A few days later I saw a cop hand a guy a piece of paper[I assume a fine] & he had no helmet.
    When the law first came in you would see people being fined on a regular basis, now it rarely happens.

14. chainstay

chainstay New Member

I don't know; I think I need to see a study to prove it. Maybe I will go out and beat my head against the tarmac with a helmet and then go out and beat my head against the tarmac without a helmet and then see which beating feels better. ;)

15. drcobol

drcobol New Member

Despite what many may say or believe about helmets, you can summarize all those arguments with this analogy. It's better to have some insurance than no insurance at all and helmets are nowhere near as expensive as a week or more in the hospital. I never ride on a public road or in a group without one no matter how goofy or silly people may think I look (with or without head protection). Just my $0.02.

16. Camilo

Camilo New Member

No actually, the only reason not to wear a helmet is because you have a realistic understanding of the miniscule risk of riding a bicycle without one and are willing to take that miniscule risk. Note, I'm not saying that a helmet doesn't provide some amount of protection (the jury's out on how much), I'm just saying that it is a very reasonable decision for an adult to look at the very small risk of riding without one and decide not to bother.

My opinion is that the hysteria about helmet use is causing less bicycle riding (due to the hassle and the mistaken fear) and therefore causing more costly health ill-effects than the risk of injury of riding without helmets.

But I don't think governmental or private helmet zealots look at it this way. They just say "hey, if you hit something, your helmet will protect you", therefore everyone should wear one. OK, but there's a lot of tiny risks of illness and injury that we do not protect ourselves against. Why cycling? It's just stigmatizing it and less people ride.

17. frasertri

frasertri New Member

For what it's worth, I was knocked off my bike by a 180 pound Great Pyrenees dog about six weeks ago.

I was at the front of a paceline when this dog ran out in front of me from behind a bush, and I didn't see him until he was right under my front wheel.

From rider accounts behind me, my front wheel (650C tri bike) tucked under the dog's shoulder, and I was flipped airborne and came down directly on my head! I was going 26mph when I hit the dog.

If you were to ask ANY of the dozen riders behind who witnessed this what they thought would have happened to me if I had not been wearing a helmet?? They would ALL agree with me. I would be done for, NO question. :eek:

18. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

Agreed. As a kid, I biked for 10 years, crashed plenty of times, and never hit my head. Toured while in HS and college for 2-3 years, crashed once, didn't hit my head. Raced irregularly for 8 years, crashed plenty of times, hit head just once, while wearing a hairnet. Post-racing fitness riding for 25 years, never even tipped over for failing to release clipless pedals. My racing scars have all healed, my bent frames and parts have all been replaced, and I do not want to go there again.

Of course, my wife insists I wear a hard helmet, and it helps me feel like part of the club. When I forget to put it on, though, it sure feels wonderful.

19. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

You've got to note that I was replying to Steelem. He is the type where you have to state the obvious:D !

20. cruisin

cruisin New Member

I have a tender spot on the back of my head from a no helmet stack 38 years ago.
    I now always wear a well ventilated helmet with a peak.
    I believe this stops my head from baking on a hot day, as well as the peak shading my eyes and offering some protection from stinging rain.
    It will also help if my head ever bounces off the road again.