No longer a Dunwich Dynamo virgin

"Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> LSMike wrote:
>>

>> anothercyclingforum.com and Aunty Charlotte. :)

> I thought £30 was a lot, but that was before freezing my nads off all
> morning.

I'd say extremely cheap given the lack of hassle, the excellent
organisation, and the comfort and food and drink supply in the coach, it was
a brilliant way to end the night. That costing was apparently for a much
smaller number of cyclists. I'm told it's too much given the much larger
eventual uptake and economies of scale, and the excess will be given to
charity. I think Charlotte should really keep enough to take her and her
Dad out for a meal for what they did for us all.

I can't imagine the toughness of those who cycled back. Mucho respect!!

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
> LSMike wrote:
>
> > "Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> >>The coaches arrived at about 4.45. The *bikes* arrived at about 6.30. A
> >>cab driver was despatched to Kings Cross, where they'd got lost, to escort
> >>them to Smithfield Market where we were. I'm only doing it next year if I
> >>can find alternative transport back.

> > anothercyclingforum.com and Aunty Charlotte. :)
> >

> I thought £30 was a lot, but that was before freezing my nads off all
> morning.

and it included a whole host of comestibles, sweet, savoury and
fermented ;-)

as we were leaving at about 1000 three coaches were winding their way
down the beach road, they must have gone into a Sizewell B - induced
black hole.

Chav incidents:

1.Squirted by a super soaker out of a car window in Epping Forest;
either they knew about the ride or it is part of their normal Saturday
night equipment
2. A bloke in front of me hit by a half full lager can in some minor
conurbation; he went after them but was restrained by his mates who
presumably thought that provoking them might lead to more organised
ambushes to the many later riders
3.Being directed in the right direction around Great Dunmow when the
route sheet was found to be lacking; "Oooh look mate they've come raand
agin" as a bunch came up behind us (but it was a different lot)
4. One playing chicken with arms outstretched.

MartinM wrote:

> Chav incidents:
>
> 1.Squirted by a super soaker out of a car window in Epping Forest;
> either they knew about the ride or it is part of their normal Saturday
> night equipment
> 2. A bloke in front of me hit by a half full lager can in some minor
> conurbation; he went after them but was restrained by his mates who
> presumably thought that provoking them might lead to more organised
> ambushes to the many later riders
> 3.Being directed in the right direction around Great Dunmow when the
> route sheet was found to be lacking; "Oooh look mate they've come raand
> agin" as a bunch came up behind us (but it was a different lot)
> 4. One playing chicken with arms outstretched.

I found the traffic and chavs surprisingly considerate. I was going to
wear a h*lmet just to deflect missiles, but decided a drunken pikey
probably couldn't hit a moving target in the dark.

MartinM wrote:

> Chav incidents:
>
> 4. One playing chicken with arms outstretched.

A group of 3 drunks tried 'chicken' with our group as we were coming
down the hill in Finchingfield (?). They weren't to know, but if you
play chicken with ex or current messengers, you nearly always lose.
They let out satisfying screams as we whistled past...

Somehow I have managed not do the DD until now. What a ride!

Can everyone stop running Hackney down, please? I know it's a dump,
but that doesn't mean that everything about it is bad. The Pub in the
Park is pretty alright. And there are some great Vietnamese
restaurants in Mare Street. Not to mention Ridley Road Bagels, all the
fantastic restaurants on Church Street, Bodrun on Stokey High Street,
the Rio Cinema, Clissold Park.

It's not the fault of the people of Hackney that all the elected
officials turn out to be totally incompetent.

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
> MartinM wrote:
>
> > Chav incidents:
> >
> > 1.Squirted by a super soaker out of a car window in Epping Forest;
> > either they knew about the ride or it is part of their normal Saturday
> > night equipment
> > 2. A bloke in front of me hit by a half full lager can in some minor
> > conurbation; he went after them but was restrained by his mates who
> > presumably thought that provoking them might lead to more organised
> > ambushes to the many later riders
> > 3.Being directed in the right direction around Great Dunmow when the
> > route sheet was found to be lacking; "Oooh look mate they've come raand
> > agin" as a bunch came up behind us (but it was a different lot)
> > 4. One playing chicken with arms outstretched.
> >

> I found the traffic and chavs surprisingly considerate. I was going to
> wear a h*lmet just to deflect missiles, but decided a drunken pikey
> probably couldn't hit a moving target in the dark.

Yes they were more amusing than actually dangerous, definitely part of
the whole experience, nice to see them in their natural nocturnal
habitat. I am considering doing it next year as a 400, camping around
Dunwich and riding into London during the day, thus avoiding the whole
coach/train thang.

Buffalo Bill wrote:

> Can everyone stop running Hackney down, please? I know it's a dump,
> but that doesn't mean that everything about it is bad.

sorry, a bit jaundiced after 4 years on the Kingsmead Estate dodging
flying TV's, getting front doors replaced on my self service TV/VCR
emporium and having to break into the vacant flat above to turn the
mains water off which was dripping through the ceiling after getting
fed up with waiting for the council to do it (but then I'm sure many
tenament blocks in other boroughs are just as bad)