No longer a virgin

Mike Halliday

Guest
OK, Got to ride my new Iguana today ;-) Ye haw. IT was fun (as
evidenced by the bleeding on my left knee ;-)

Rode around the neighborhood for a while (paved) then out across the
street to a short dirt track with a nasty (in my opinion) climb that
had section of gravel, and deep ruts from water run off. I made it
about half way up before I had t stop and when I tried to get going
again, I fell trying to get my foot in the damned toe clip! THOSE
THINGS ARE GETTING ON MY NERVES!

Anyway, came back down that hill-- cool ride. Bumpy, but cool ;-D

Then down along some sandy trails along a small creek with a steep drop
off, so I had to stop a couple of times, but tried to ride over a
couple of fallen tree... Almost made it, but after the front wheel was
over the chain guard hit the tree, and BAMm! stop, fall ;-)

On another decent down a short but steep grade over some loose leaves,
and debris, I found out that that LEFT handle was the FRONT brake -
idiot!!! Almost went end-over-end, but cause I had read some of
skills; I was keeping my weight back and managed to hold it together.
Next few descents went better.

Finished in a paved parking lot with a steep hill, that I worked on my
fitness and training by repeatedly trying to sprint up the hill.

Good, morning. Might go out again in the evening ;-)

I think I need more air in the tires though, what pressure do you
typically keep in these tires?

Mike

Mike Halliday wrote:
> OK, Got to ride my new Iguana today ;-) Ye haw. IT was fun (as
> evidenced by the bleeding on my left knee ;-)

I hear that often happens when losing one's virginity. Don't worry,
you'll get used to it.

> Rode around the neighborhood for a while (paved) then out across the
> street to a short dirt track with a nasty (in my opinion) climb that
> had section of gravel, and deep ruts from water run off. I made it
> about half way up before I had t stop and when I tried to get going
> again, I fell trying to get my foot in the damned toe clip! THOSE
> THINGS ARE GETTING ON MY NERVES!

Many of us prefer clipless pedals (which attach you to the bike sort of
like a ski binding). For now, you should either try and get used to the
clips or maybe try platform (BMX style) for the break in period.
Clipless may appropriate later on when you are feeling more comfortable
on your bike, but some people never use them.

> Anyway, came back down that hill-- cool ride. Bumpy, but cool ;-D

Lifting your butt out of the seat and using your legs to absorb shock
will make it seem much less bumpy and give you more control over just
sitting there, compressing your back.

> Then down along some sandy trails along a small creek with a steep drop
> off, so I had to stop a couple of times, but tried to ride over a
> couple of fallen tree... Almost made it, but after the front wheel was
> over the chain guard hit the tree, and BAMm! stop, fall ;-)
>
> On another decent down a short but steep grade over some loose leaves,
> and debris, I found out that that LEFT handle was the FRONT brake -
> idiot!!! Almost went end-over-end, but cause I had read some of
> skills; I was keeping my weight back and managed to hold it together.
> Next few descents went better.

You should use more front than rear brake anyway. Just compensate with
body position (weight back with your butt over your rear wheel) to keep
from going OTB (over the bars). Not using enough front brake or too much
rear will lock the rear wheel making you skid, and tearing up the
trails. That's easier, but it's poor technique and is a habit that's
best never acquired.

> Finished in a paved parking lot with a steep hill, that I worked on my
> fitness and training by repeatedly trying to sprint up the hill.
>
> Good, morning. Might go out again in the evening ;-)
>
> I think I need more air in the tires though, what pressure do you
> typically keep in these tires?

I like about 38# but it really depends on the tires. What does the
sidewall say for pressure?

> Mike

Sounds like you;re off to a good start. Don;t forget your helmet and
have fun!

Matt

Sounds like you've got THE FEVER!

A couple things:
- Toe clips are your friends. Learn to use them and they will serve you
well.
- 40 PSI is a pretty good starting point for tire pressure.

Have fun, Mike!

/s

Top posting. That's right.

Mike Halliday wrote:
> OK, Got to ride my new Iguana today ;-) Ye haw. IT was fun (as
> evidenced by the bleeding on my left knee ;-)
>
> Rode around the neighborhood for a while (paved) then out across the
> street to a short dirt track with a nasty (in my opinion) climb that
> had section of gravel, and deep ruts from water run off. I made it
> about half way up before I had t stop and when I tried to get going
> again, I fell trying to get my foot in the damned toe clip! THOSE
> THINGS ARE GETTING ON MY NERVES!
>
> Anyway, came back down that hill-- cool ride. Bumpy, but cool ;-D
>
> Then down along some sandy trails along a small creek with a steep
> drop off, so I had to stop a couple of times, but tried to ride over a
> couple of fallen tree... Almost made it, but after the front wheel was
> over the chain guard hit the tree, and BAMm! stop, fall ;-)
>
> On another decent down a short but steep grade over some loose leaves,
> and debris, I found out that that LEFT handle was the FRONT brake -
> idiot!!! Almost went end-over-end, but cause I had read some of
> skills; I was keeping my weight back and managed to hold it together.
> Next few descents went better.
>
> Finished in a paved parking lot with a steep hill, that I worked on my
> fitness and training by repeatedly trying to sprint up the hill.
>
> Good, morning. Might go out again in the evening ;-)
>
> I think I need more air in the tires though, what pressure do you
> typically keep in these tires?
>
> Mike

ditch the toe clips.

AMB faq http://www.schnauzers.ws/ambfaq.html

The best thing you could do at this point is to join a local bicycle
club, or go on local bike shop sponsored fun rides. Monkey see, monkey
do works pretty well.

JD

Mike Halliday wrote:

> Rode around the neighborhood for a while (paved) then out across the
> street to a short dirt track with a nasty (in my opinion) climb that
> had section of gravel, and deep ruts from water run off. I made it
> about half way up before I had t stop and when I tried to get going
> again, I fell trying to get my foot in the damned toe clip! THOSE
> THINGS ARE GETTING ON MY NERVES!

> Mike

You might want to consider the toe clips w/o the straps for now. You may
want to go to full on clipless later, you may not, but clips w/o straps
help you keep your feet on but are very easy to get out of.

Keep up the good work!

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."
Edward R. Murrow

JD wrote:
> The best thing you could do at this point is to join a local bicycle
> club, or go on local bike shop sponsored fun rides. Monkey see, monkey
> do works pretty well.

Well, you silly baboon, my brother said that he coulda spent all day
trying to huck that rock by Loon Lake, and still wouldn't have been
able to do it.

;)

E.P.

when I was younger I had Alloy toe clips wiht straps, and they held
their shape so it was easier to slide you toe in. These are a rubber
(it seems) with a strap and they go almost flat ... I will see what
options there are, I DO wnat my foot in some way secured to the pedal.

w/r to JD's suggestion. Thanks, I am joining my local SORBA chapter.
They seem like a great bunch of guys, and seem to organize frequent
rides, i certainly hope to ride with 'em soon to learn from them.

Mike

"Mike Halliday" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> OK, Got to ride my new Iguana today ;-) Ye haw. IT was fun (as
> evidenced by the bleeding on my left knee ;-)
>
> Rode around the neighborhood for a while (paved) then out across the
> street to a short dirt track with a nasty (in my opinion) climb that
> had section of gravel, and deep ruts from water run off. I made it
> about half way up before I had t stop and when I tried to get going
> again, I fell trying to get my foot in the damned toe clip! THOSE
> THINGS ARE GETTING ON MY NERVES!
>
> Anyway, came back down that hill-- cool ride. Bumpy, but cool ;-D>
> I think I need more air in the tires though, what pressure do you
> typically keep in these tires?
>
> Mike

Hey, way to keep after it! Re tire pressure, ask the folks you bought the
bike from, but if you can't get an answer there, start with 40lbs, and work
up and down to find what works best for you. Too low, and you'll pinch flat
and/or drag too much rubber. Too high, and you'll bounce all over and/or
lose traction. Experiment, and have fun.

CDB

Mike Halliday wrote:
> OK, Got to ride my new Iguana today ;-) Ye haw. IT was fun (as
> evidenced by the bleeding on my left knee ;-)
>
> Rode around the neighborhood for a while (paved) then out across the
> street to a short dirt track with a nasty (in my opinion) climb that
> had section of gravel, and deep ruts from water run off. I made it
> about half way up before I had t stop and when I tried to get going
> again, I fell trying to get my foot in the damned toe clip! THOSE
> THINGS ARE GETTING ON MY NERVES!
>
> Anyway, came back down that hill-- cool ride. Bumpy, but cool ;-D
>
> Then down along some sandy trails along a small creek with a steep drop
> off, so I had to stop a couple of times, but tried to ride over a
> couple of fallen tree... Almost made it, but after the front wheel was
> over the chain guard hit the tree, and BAMm! stop, fall ;-)
>
> On another decent down a short but steep grade over some loose leaves,
> and debris, I found out that that LEFT handle was the FRONT brake -
> idiot!!! Almost went end-over-end, but cause I had read some of
> skills; I was keeping my weight back and managed to hold it together.
> Next few descents went better.
>
> Finished in a paved parking lot with a steep hill, that I worked on my
> fitness and training by repeatedly trying to sprint up the hill.
>
> Good, morning. Might go out again in the evening ;-)
>
> I think I need more air in the tires though, what pressure do you
> typically keep in these tires?
>
> Mike

Awesome :) :)
--
Slack

Mike Halliday wrote:
> OK, Got to ride my new Iguana today ;-) Ye haw. IT was fun (as
> evidenced by the bleeding on my left knee ;-)
>
> Rode around the neighborhood for a while (paved) then out across the
> street to a short dirt track with a nasty (in my opinion) climb that
> had section of gravel, and deep ruts from water run off. I made it
> about half way up before I had t stop and when I tried to get going
> again, I fell trying to get my foot in the damned toe clip! THOSE
> THINGS ARE GETTING ON MY NERVES!
>
> Anyway, came back down that hill-- cool ride. Bumpy, but cool ;-D
>
> Then down along some sandy trails along a small creek with a steep drop
> off, so I had to stop a couple of times, but tried to ride over a
> couple of fallen tree... Almost made it, but after the front wheel was
> over the chain guard hit the tree, and BAMm! stop, fall ;-)
>
> On another decent down a short but steep grade over some loose leaves,
> and debris, I found out that that LEFT handle was the FRONT brake -
> idiot!!! Almost went end-over-end, but cause I had read some of
> skills; I was keeping my weight back and managed to hold it together.
> Next few descents went better.
>
> Finished in a paved parking lot with a steep hill, that I worked on my
> fitness and training by repeatedly trying to sprint up the hill.
>
> Good, morning. Might go out again in the evening ;-)
>
> I think I need more air in the tires though, what pressure do you
> typically keep in these tires?
>
> Mike

Excellent for getting right in there, Mike. I got back in not too long
ago myself... Nice to have the option of paved, gravel/multi-use trails
and single track where I'm at. I've found a few good technical sections
to keep me working on my skills and scrape up a leg when I couldn't
quite bail from the clipless fast enough. Keep with it...skills come up
and there'll be fewer of the "idiot" moments.

I have to agree on the tires...see what the sidewall says or start
around 40psi. I'm a bigger fellah and run higher pressures...but that
serves me for the riding I do right now (nothing nuts, but I still have
fun and challenging rides while shedding a few pounds).

Psycho Mike

[email protected] wrote:
> JD wrote:
> > The best thing you could do at this point is to join a local bicycle
> > club, or go on local bike shop sponsored fun rides. Monkey see, monkey
> > do works pretty well.

> Well, you silly baboon, my brother said that he coulda spent all day
> trying to huck that rock by Loon Lake, and still wouldn't have been
> able to do it.

It's not that difficult, if you make it out to be that way. I doubt
G-Man would have even tried if he hadn't seen me do it with relative
ease.

JD

JD wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > JD wrote:
> > > The best thing you could do at this point is to join a local bicycle
> > > club, or go on local bike shop sponsored fun rides. Monkey see, monkey
> > > do works pretty well.

> > Well, you silly baboon, my brother said that he coulda spent all day
> > trying to huck that rock by Loon Lake, and still wouldn't have been
> > able to do it.

> It's not that difficult, if you make it out to be that way. I doubt
> G-Man would have even tried if he hadn't seen me do it with relative
> ease.

I think we got an apples/oranges skill level issue going, LOL.

Or maybe oak/acorn?

E.P.