No mess brake pads for rain?

Timmer

Aug 10, 2003
I got V brakes on my bike, anyone know of some pads i can get that don't get messy in the rain? I know disc brakes would be nice and clean, some day i will have some of those. Sick of the black gook on the rims and tires. Thanks

Thanks was looking at those, thought they might be the answer, and you have pushed me towards them. Thank you much. Life is good

gclark8 said:
Kool Stop, Salmon. ;)
Not sure that is the case. I have Kool Stop Salmon and on my wet ride two days ago, it was still pretty horrible after. Yet again, the whole bike was in pretty bad shape from all the road grime. So the question is, just how much was the muck due to the brake pad material and how much was from the wet road?

sogood said:
Not sure that is the case. I have Kool Stop Salmon and on my wet ride two days ago, it was still pretty horrible after. Yet again, the whole bike was in pretty bad shape from all the road grime. So the question is, just how much was the muck due to the brake pad material and how much was from the wet road?

I use salmon Kool Stop pads on my cantilevers year-round here in drippy Seattle. I'm very happy with them (good grip, long wear), but my experience is similar to sogood's. I still get some amount of that black sludge on the rims. My (relatively unexamined) assumption has always been that wear on the aluminum rims is what produces the nasty, black stuff.

you know I've done some aluminum polishing b-4 and the gunk looks just like it, no matter the pads it might be hard to get away from it.(gunk) Carbon rims? ya right i'm gonna spend that dough on the rig. Disc might be the best solution, someday.

SEAcarlessTTLE said:
I use salmon Kool Stop pads on my cantilevers year-round here in drippy Seattle. I'm very happy with them (good grip, long wear), but my experience is similar to sogood's. I still get some amount of that black sludge on the rims. My (relatively unexamined) assumption has always been that wear on the aluminum rims is what produces the nasty, black stuff.
I'd guess it could also be oil & oily dirt from the road.

I've noticed that one time I got caught in an absolute downpour (major) and when i got home the bike was somewhat clean. Don't know how much gunk comes from the road.

You could test it by riding a bike path or similar paved surface not used by motor vehicles. I suspect it's mostly road grundge. May depend too on how soft or hard the pads are.

I have also had huge problems with this sludge however, after having a mtb stolen, I bought a replacement with a V-brake on the rear, and a disc on the front. The rear wheel is still covered in sludge, and the front is perfectly clean all the time. I am seriously considering getting a disc for the back too, and I wish there was a similar alternative for my roadie!

Timmer said:
I got V brakes on my bike, anyone know of some pads i can get that don't get messy in the rain? I know disc brakes would be nice and clean, some day i will have some of those. Sick of the black gook on the rims and tires. Thanks

Its rim degredation as well... not just pad wear and road grime. Get Mavic's new ceramic rims should help.