NO MORE BRITISH RALEIGHS!

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Garrison Hillia, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Jim Feeley

    Jim Feeley Guest

    Garrison Hilliard <[email protected]> wrote:

    > http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,3604,712967,00.html

    Oh, that's sad. I won my first race--in second grade--on a 20-inch Raleigh one speed. I beat all the
    big 4th, 5th, and 6th graders.

    Years later when I started to ride more, my first serious bike was a Raliegh International frame
    that I bought used built up. Did lots of riding, touring, and racing on that machine.

    The first bike shop I worked in sold Raleigh as their main line. I remember them switching certain
    lines over to Rampar (IIRC), at least here in the US, then I can't remember all the changes...

    Raleigh helped teach me to love bikes. Sad day.

    Jim

  2. Graham

    Graham Guest

    "Garrison Hilliard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,3604,712967,00.html

    There have not been any "British Raleighs" for some time now; excepting the special products
    division. They are no longer going to be assembled in the UK, but will be assembled abroad. They
    have been made abroad for quite a while now. It is the way of things in the UK now, we do not make
    anything anymore, though we do have a production line turning out self serving politicians.

    Graham

  3. Budman

    Budman Guest

  4. Gary Smiley

    Gary Smiley Guest

    I always wanted one when I was a kid, but my dad couldn't (or wouldn't) afford one. I finally got
    one (a 78 Super Course) a few years ago. What a sweet bike. Around Boston & Cambridge MA, you still
    see a lot of old Raleighs (the British ones) used as city bikes. They have all stood up well over
    time. They're kind of like the bicycle equivalent of Volvo
    240s. They were built to last.

    Garrison Hilliard wrote:

    > http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,3604,712967,00.html

  5. Menotomy

    Menotomy Guest

    Yes, the old 3-speeds in particular. They make great city bikes because: 1 - they have fenders 2 -
    they have an upright riding position 3 - you can shift them while stopped 4 - they are reliable
    and solid.

    Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles, Inc. http://OldRoads.com

    >I always wanted one when I was a kid, but my dad couldn't (or wouldn't) afford one. I finally got
    >one (a 78 Super Course) a few years ago. What a sweet bike. Around Boston & Cambridge MA, you still
    >see a lot of old Raleighs (the British ones) used as city bikes. They have all stood up well over
    >time. They're kind of like the bicycle equivalent of Volvo
    >240s. They were built to last.

  6. Patrick Lamb

    Patrick Lamb Guest

    On Sat, 30 Nov 2002 22:01:58 +0000 (UTC), "Graham" <Gtg[email protected]> wrote:

    > There have not been any "British Raleighs" for some time now; excepting the special products
    > division. They are no longer going to be assembled in the UK, but will be assembled abroad. They
    > have been made abroad for quite a while now. It is the way of things in the UK now, we do not
    > make anything anymore, though we do have a production line turning out self serving politicians.

    Please don't export them to the former colonies. We have enough and some to spare. But we'll make
    you a good deal on lawyers!

    Pat