No More commuting for me

ohiobiker

Dec 25, 2005
Well, it was fun while it lasted. I changed jobs and the distance to the new place far exceeds my ability to commute to work by bicycle. I will still go shopping and run errands with my bike but the daily 22 mile ride is no more.

oddly that was my daily distance, 22.2 miles.

You're really going to hate how you won't be fit unless you actually train. A few cuts above most recreational cyclists-no more. :(

ohiobiker said:
Well, it was fun while it lasted. I changed jobs and the distance to the new place far exceeds my ability to commute to work by bicycle. I will still go shopping and run errands with my bike but the daily 22 mile ride is no more.
Sorry to hear you won't be able to cycle. Have you considered throwing the bike in the car and driving to within 30 min ride of work and commuting part of the way by bike? I think transport planners call it 'mixed modal commuting'. It's not for the purist but still gets you some exercise.

Mawson said:
Sorry to hear you won't be able to cycle. Have you considered throwing the bike in the car and driving to within 30 min ride of work and commuting part of the way by bike? I think transport planners call it 'mixed modal commuting'. It's not for the purist but still gets you some exercise.

I am doing service work again so I will travel from my home to different customer sites. For example, I went on a call Friday to a town called Somerset which is 50 miles from home. Even if my customers were 30 minutes away I still need to carry 100 or so pounds of tools every where I go so a van is what I must use. I am still riding everywhere on the weekends and in the evenings after work and I built a huge trailer to tow behind the bike for grocery shopping so I will get lots of miles in that way.

Thanks Johan. The job is great actually. Lots of fun and more money as well. I miss the biking alot though. Over the weekend I finished the grocery trailer I was talking about and then I built a nice singlespeed from a thrift store Raleigh. I rode the single speed all weekend and yesterday evening. I carried a lock and whatever I picked up in a backpack that I got the same day I got the Raleigh. It turned out pretty good so Payday I am going to get new tires from the LBS.

ohiobiker said:
You will regret it, and very badly. The distance to my workplace is 18 miles each way, I'd love to be able to cycle the whole way, but time and practicality makes it impossible, because I work 12 hour shifts. However, I got round that problem, by doing a part commute, i.e., I drive my car to a spot, 11 miles from my work, park it, then cycle the rest of the way there, and vice versa. What's more I love it, oh yes it takes some thought and preparation, making sure I always have a change of clothes etc., available at work , but when it all comes together, it feels just great. If that's a no go, then how about a part commute involving public transport, I'm sure you'll be able to find some sort of combination to suit you.