NO MORE POLITICS!!!! This is Recumbents only!!!!

> Neither Mr. Dolan nor myself has ever originated an off-topic political thread.

How many have each of you turned into an OT political thread? And How many have each of you
perpetuated (ad nauseam)?

Can I depend upon you for accurate statistics on this?

--
Cletus D. Lee
Bacchetta Giro

Cletus D. Lee wrote:

>>Neither Mr. Dolan nor myself has ever originated an off-topic political thread.
>

> How many have each of you turned into an OT political thread? And How many have each of you
> perpetuated (ad nauseam)?
>
> Can I depend upon you for accurate statistics on this?

Neither Mr. Dolan (as far as I can recall) nor myself has originated an off-topic political
discussion. As for threads being perpetuated ad nauseam, that is a subjective judgement, so a
definitive number is not available.

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

> Cletus D. Lee wrote:

> >>Neither Mr. Dolan nor myself has ever originated an off-topic political thread.
> >

> > How many have each of you turned into an OT political thread? And How many have each of you
> > perpetuated (ad nauseam)?
> >
> > Can I depend upon you for accurate statistics on this?
>
> Neither Mr. Dolan (as far as I can recall) nor myself has originated an off-topic political
> discussion. As for threads being perpetuated ad nauseam, that is a subjective judgement, so a
> definitive number is not available.
>
> Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

If Mr. Sherman were not here this newsgroup would die of terminal boredom. He is consistently
interesting to read and I take back what I ever said about his wit. It is razor sharp lately. And he
sure does know how to handle the likes of all the jerks here on ARBR like old Cletus of Texas - and
me too for that matter. See, I do have a sense of humor after all. ;)

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Edward Dolan wrote:

> If Mr. Sherman were not here this newsgroup would die of terminal boredom. He is consistently
> interesting to read and I take back what I ever said about his wit. It is razor sharp lately. And
> he sure does know how to handle the likes of all the jerks here on ARBR like old Cletus of Texas -
> and me too for that matter. See, I do have a sense of humor after all. ;)

Is that a compliment, Mr. Dolan? ;)

It is interesting to note that Mr. Dolan's ire of late is mostly reserved for "watsonglenn", despite
the fact that "watsonglenn's" political opinions are much closer to Mr. Dolan's than mine are.

Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

> Edward Dolan wrote:
>
> > If Mr. Sherman were not here this newsgroup would die of terminal boredom. He is consistently
> > interesting to read and I take back what I ever said about his wit. It is razor sharp lately.
> > And he sure does know how to handle the likes of all the jerks here on ARBR like old Cletus of
> > Texas - and me too for that matter. See, I do have a sense of humor after all. ;)
>
> Is that a compliment, Mr. Dolan? ;)
>
> It is interesting to note that Mr. Dolan's ire of late is mostly reserved for "watsonglenn",
> despite the fact that "watsonglenn's" political opinions are much closer to Mr. Dolan's than
> mine are.
>
> Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

Well, good grief, Mr. Sherman! You go to all the trouble of instructing this moron (watsonglenn) on
how to post and he just throws it back in your face. Where do you get your patience from?

As for politics, one's character is about a thousand times more important than any politics. I
respect your character and that of most here. However, it may be that I do have a secret,
unconscious agenda to be universally hated by this entire newsgroup. Sooner or later I will probably
get around to calling everyone an idiot regardless of political persuasion.

I have always gotten along much better with liberals even when I am disagreeing with them than I
have conservatives even when I am agreeing with them. It is a mystery why this should be so. I put
it down to our cantankerous natures and let it go at that.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

[email protected] (Carl R. Murdock) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> > I wonder... Suppose those of us who are tired of OT discussions all left. Would the OT
> > motormouths still stay here and talk to themselves?
> >
> > Frank Calloway
>

> No chance. They will go to the next recumbent group and infect it. They will go O.T. every chance
> they get, all the time trying to show how clever and right they are until the cancer ruins the
> group. They don't want to discuss their O.T. ideas with a newsgroup that would be appropriate.
> They would rather disrupt this group and say "you don't have to read it".

But you don't have to read it! Where is the disruption? Ye Gods! I think I am starting to go crazy!

> Sick of it also!

Did it ever occur to you that you are boring us all to death with your senseless complaint. We have
all heard it at least a dozen times before and we all know that it is IMPOSSIBLE to change the way
things are here. If Mr. Sherman and I and a few others were to leave, there will be two or more
others to take our places, and chances are they would not be nearly so intelligent. I assure you,
they are waiting in the wings right now. You really ought to be counting your blessings that you
have such two intelligent souls here instead of a couple of idiots. We are manning the bulwarks and
warding off other OT 'ers who are just waiting for an opening to come aboard. We are your free
paladins. Kindly show some respect every now and then. That is all the payment that we ask.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Bryan:

"If this doesn't stop this newsgroup will die off completely in a couple of years."

Like it won't die off in a couple of years anyway? It's not like Usenet is destined to be around for
millennia.

I clearly don't mind the occasional OT thread, so don't count me in the consensus. For me, humans
are by definition multiple topic critters. And as I've said a number of times, if it's good enough
for the IVHS Journal to publish authors of US foreign policy it's sort of unrealistic to expect
everything to be on topic in ARBR.

And besides, how many times can you talk about recumbent butt without getting a permanent depression
in your forehead as it hits the table top? Just wait until Lance gets mounted again. At least we'll
have something to talk about.

No. 6, do you think? Wouldn't *that* be a kick-in-the-pants?

--
--Scott
"Bryan Ball" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > But you just posted something that has nothing to do with bikes.
>
> Oh come on... People are obviously tired of all of the off-topic
political
> **** on ARBR and telling everyone "if you don't like it, ignore it" is the
> biggest cop-out I've ever seen. Just because a newsreader is capable of
> filtering out certain people it doesn't mean that we all want to bother
> doing it. If people would have some common courtesy and at least TRY to
> stick on-topic no one would have to become intimately familiar with the
> darker functions of their newsreader. Bottom line is that people have
made
> it clear that they don't want to OT discussions anymore and the arrogant
> twits that propagate it don't care.
>
> BTW - I feel that a thread that talks about the health of this newsgroup
> could be MORE on-topic. The OT stuff is ruining this group. It's
> undeniable. Look at the stats from 2002 to 2003 and see how much it's
dying
> off. Also look at who posts the most and look at the longest threads.
> Nothing to do with recumbents. If this doesn't stop this newsgroup will
die
> off completely in a couple of years.
> --
> Bryan J. Ball
> Publisher/Editor
> 'BentRider Online Magazine
> www.bentrideronline.com
> "In this world, hate never yet dispelled hate.
> Only love dispels hate." - The Buddha

OK, I'm getting fed up with this "correctness" jargon. I continue to get emails from people who
supported raising the original topic of that thread, but felt intimidated by the group about
discussing it here. It would seem that that's really a lot more important than whether or not
there's an occasional OT political thread. Moreover, very few people actually posted on the original
topic. So there's a kind of PC-ness that's a little like the stuff floating at the top of the hot
tub. Everyone knows it's there, but nobody mentions it.

Here's a quote: "I'm really enjoying your discourse on ARBR. I'm currently unable to post due to
technical difficulties, though would have very little to add but my encouragement.

I very much admire your ability to keep the discussion cool and your responses well considered
and rational. How refreshing, over the usual bi-partisan posturing, blaming and name calling on
OT subjects!

If I recall, some similar situations to what the UK is going thru (Weapon Bans vs. Crime Stats) are
also taking place in South Africa and Australia. IIRCC, petty crimes in both countries have tripled
(or some monstrous rate) as well as violent crimes being on the upswing as well to a lesser degree.

Well done."

And that's only one. There are others.

So by all means ***** about the politics discussions, but that's not really the heart of the issue,
is it? It's something else entirely. It's about who gets to say what the definition of "on" is.

My take is that of all the folks who posted to that thread, roughly 20% "carry" at least
occasionally. Most of the people who carry take a lot of pains to conceal, because they know they'll
be ostracized if they don't. Did you know that? Why not? Does it matter? I guess not, if you figure
it's just an OT political discussion.

And I think there's a bit of a "nanny" element to these complaints. After all, not one single post
was cross-posted, in marked distinction to some of the helmet threads I've seen that were far more
disruptive and ultimately destructive. It's hyperbole to claim that these threads will destroy the
newsgroup. Nonsense. Are all you guys career bureaucrats or something? I mean, lighten up already.
There are three complaint posts to every OT post. It's (as my nephew used do say) "reedickeous."

--
--Scott

"Carl R. Murdock" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > I wonder... Suppose those of us who are tired of OT discussions all
left.
> > Would the OT motormouths still stay here and talk to themselves?
> >
> > Frank Calloway
>

> No chance. They will go to the next recumbent group and infect it.
> They will go O.T. every chance they get, all the time trying to show
> how clever and right they are until the cancer ruins the group. They
> don't want to discuss their O.T. ideas with a newsgroup that would be
> appropriate. They would rather disrupt this group and say "you don't
> have to read it".
>
> Sick of it also!
>
> Carl R. Murdock

Cletus:

Actually my favorite are nonsense threads, about whether or not there's enough oxygen in the air,
and how soon we'll get whacked by a big comet, or whether a caldera volcana will interfere with my
vacation. The problem is that you just can't keep those threads going, no matter how much nonsense
you pile on. They never seem to reach a critical mass of nonsense. Oh well.

--
--Scott
"Cletus D. Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> > Neither Mr. Dolan nor myself has ever originated an off-topic political
> > thread.
>
> How many have each of you turned into an OT political thread? And How
> many have each of you perpetuated (ad nauseam)?
>
> Can I depend upon you for accurate statistics on this?
>
> --
> Cletus D. Lee
> Bacchetta Giro
> Lightning Voyager