No more school run SUVs?

Paul - *** <[email protected]> wrote:
> Tony Raven came up with the following;:

>> The driver's high vantage point also made it harder to see pedestrians.

> High vantage point .. not able to see .. don't seem to correlate

Not able to see small pedestrians. Or parked motorcycles. Of the last
four times a car has knocked over my parked motorcycle three were an
SUV reversing, and quite unable to see anything below its high rear
window shelf, a view further obscured by a spare wheel.

[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

Pinky wrote:
> shirley that's a 4x3!

Hint: read the URL ;-)

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

"Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Budstaff yelled:
>> THIS THREAD BELONGS ON A MOTORING NEWSGROUP

> In your opinion. If you don't like the thread, kill it.
>
> As someone whose commute used to include the hair-raising experience of
> riding past a school at school-run time, I regard the subject of SUV's on
> the school run as very relevant to cycling.
>
> --
> Danny Colyer <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/>
> Subscribe to PlusNet <URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/referral/>
> "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine

Mr Whalley is my son's history teacher. Apparently he is "a legend".
Thought you all ought to know this.

Peter.

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4900000.stm
>
> Danger signs should be placed on 4x4 vehicles to prevent parents from
> using them on the school run, teachers say.

Our local rag has been running a campaign regarding ignorant & dangerous
parking outside schools. None of the "name & shame" photographs showed
4x4's.
I appreciate this isn't conclusive in itself but does illustrate that it's
not only 4x4 drivers that create problems.
Personally I don't care for 4x4's or the logic behind the desire for them
<1>, other than genuine practical reasons, but will try to avoid the
singling out and picking on of a group purely on their choice of legally
owned and operated vehicle, as a cyclist this is important.
<1>And I have driven some and been a passenger in others. Each to their own.

Pete

Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Budstaff
<[email protected]> gently breathed:

>If it is a discussion about the dangers, to cyclists and others, I agree.
>But defending them as not being as polluting as you'd think?

Facts matter. To those of us who care about the environment, it's the
vehicles which emit the most pollutants and carbon per passenger mile
driven that are the problem, and it matters not whether they look like
hulking great tanks or sleek single-seaters.

>And debating
>the origins of bull bars?

Thread drift is a function of Usenet. It's frequently quite informative
too - I'd no idea till that thread where the idea of bull bars came
from.

--
- DJ Pyromancer, The Sunday Goth Social, Leeds. <http://www.sheepish.net>

Broadband, Dialup, Domains = <http://www.wytches.net> = The UK's Pagan ISP!
<http://www.inkubus-sukkubus.co.uk> <http://www.revival.stormshadow.com>

Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as wheelist
<[email protected]> gently breathed:

>> In my opinion...I couldn't agree less. As a cyclist I'm concerned
>>about the presence of

>SUVs on our roads - they're more likely to kill me in a collision than
>your average car.

It would be interesting to see stats broken down (for the UK - the USA
is an almost entirely different driving / riding environment) on what
types of vehicles overall present the greatest hazard to cyclists in ksi
per urban mile cycled, or something similar.

While big 4x4s may well be the least "impactee-unfriendly" things on the
road, I'd suspect that there's a far greater chance of actually being
hit by a BMW, a "boy racer special" or possibly a small courier van, as
these tend to be driven rather more aggressively and with considerably
less road-sense and other-user-respect than other vehicles, IME.