No name carbon frames

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by tonykara, Jul 6, 2004.

  1. tonykara

    tonykara New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2004
    like most i would love to ride something italian, my marque of choice is bianchi, however the price tags on a good frame with a decent groupo....campag of course, will set you back around the AUS$5k mark. i dont know about you but my g'friend said im dreaming!.

    in this months Bicycling Australia mag there is an add for PedalForce carbon monocoqe frames for AUS$1,071.68. thaey say that they are made by those who make the likes of Look and Kestrel. Anyone got one? what do you think.

    Tags:

  2. suzyj

    suzyj New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2004
    Originally posted by tonykara:

    > in this months Bicycling Australia mag there is an add for PedalForce carbon
    > monocoqe frames for AUS$1,071.68. thaey say that they are made by those
    > who make the likes of Look and Kestrel. Anyone got one? what do you think.

    As an owner of an expensive Italian bike (a Colnago Dream Plus) I can attest that they aren't worth the money.

    While this frame is probably just as good as those made for the major manufacturers, and indeed is probably made by the same people, it's just plastic. Why not spend your money on a decent steel frame that'll last, rather than something that will fall apart inside of five years.

    Regards,

    Suzy

  3. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    >Originally posted by tonykara
    >in this months Bicycling Australia mag there is an add for >PedalForce carbon monocoqe frames for AUS$1,071.68. thaey >say that they are made by those who make the likes of Look >and Kestrel. Anyone got one? what do you think.

    They do have a name.. Pedal Force :)
    http://www.pedalforce.com/

    Grain of salt in hand:
    http://www.bikecafe.net/directory/XcDirViewRatings.asp?LinkID=1486&CatID=69

    Here's a pic of a Chorus buildup:
    http://www.cyclingforums.com/t41866-15-17.html

    http://smallproblem.com/carbon/

    I've never seen one before.. sorry I don't have a personal
    review :) Quite willing to test the one you buy though.. ;)

    hippy

  4. tonykara

    tonykara New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2004
    Ive looked at a custom steel frames such as paconi and ciombola....the later seems abit dear compared to paconi. but everyone i know is either on alloy/carbon or carbon. I currently ride full alloy and its HARSH...... how smooth is steel and would you need the rear carbon on say an ultrafoco or EOM 16.5 frame?

  5. "tonykara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > like most i would love to ride something italian, my
    > marque of choice is bianchi, however the price tags on a
    > good frame with a decent groupo....campag of course, will
    > set you back around the AUS$5k mark. i dont know about you
    > but my g'friend said im dreaming!.
    >
    > in this months Bicycling Australia mag there is an add for
    > PedalForce carbon monocoqe frames for AUS$1,071.68. thaey
    > say that they are made by those who make the likes of Look
    > and Kestrel. Anyone got one? what do you think.
    >

    > --

    If you don't mind Titanium instead of Carbon then you could
    try this place. http://www.xacd.com.cn/product.asp?rootcl=1

    You can get their frames for much less than $1000.

    Marty

  6. "suzyj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by tonykara:
    >
    > > in this months Bicycling Australia mag there is an add
    > > for PedalForce carbon monocoqe frames for AUS$1,071.68.
    > > thaey say that they are made by those who make the likes
    > > of Look and Kestrel. Anyone got one? what do you think.
    >
    > As an owner of an expensive Italian bike (a Colnago Dream
    > Plus) I can attest that they aren't worth the money.
    >
    > While this frame is probably just as good as those made
    > for the major manufacturers, and indeed is probably made
    > by the same people, it's just plastic. Why not spend your
    > money on a decent steel frame that'll last, rather than
    > something that will fall apart inside of five years.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Suzy
    >

    > --

    For a few years I raced on a steel bike that I bought from
    a bike shop for $20. The bike shop owner had to find it in
    the "shed out the back somewhere". I rubbed all the paint
    off and re-sprayed it with some Bianchi coloured paint I
    bought from the local auto shop. I still have that frame
    but the bits have been robbed off it to put onto my
    Chinese Ti bikes.

    Marty

  7. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Tony. that's the mob i mentioned on Sunday

    Marty has a rather noice lookin roadie from them
    There's also a huge thread on cyclingplus.co.uk re these guys
    (search under 'cheap' and 'Ti' )

    PS cycleworks.com.au (box hill) are doing your beloved Bianchi cheap at the mo with upgraded bits...

    Seeing as we use the same pedals we can swap bikes for a bit this Sunday if you like (altho you'd have to teach me how to use that JapaneseSTI stuff;) )

  8. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    >Originally posted by Marty Wallace
    >For a few years I raced on a steel bike that I bought from
    >a bike shop for $20. The bike shop owner had to find it in
    >the "shed out the back somewhere". I rubbed all the paint
    >off and re-sprayed it with some Bianchi coloured paint I
    >bought from the local auto shop. I still have that frame
    >but the bits have been robbed off it to put onto my
    >Chinese Ti bikes.

    Most people wouldn't know.. you could say it was a bike
    Merckx "tested" when he was thinking about "defecting"
    or some guff :)

    hippy

  9. Daveb

    Daveb Guest

    > PS cycleworks.com.au (box hill) are doing your beloved
    > Bianchi cheap at the mo with upgraded bits...

    Dutch if you're in there for your rim, can you have a quick
    look at the Carnac shoes (which are half price at the
    moment) and see what the cheapest set of road shoes are.
    Otherwise I'll ride over on Saturday to check them out
    (although must conserve energy for BR4).

    DaveB

  10. tonykara

    tonykara New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2004
    what size are your feet, i have a pair of adidas RD Comp shoes (top of the line carbon soled) ive done about 1000km on them but they are too small, i think they are a size 42.5

  11. Daveb

    Daveb Guest

    > what size are your feet, i have a pair of adidas RD Comp
    > shoes (top of the line carbon soled) ive done about
    > 1000km on them but they are too small, i think they are a
    > size 42.5

    I'm not sure what size I am. Around 9-9 1/2 in "normal"
    shoes. Not sure what that translates to.

    DaveB

  12. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Sounds like Martec, Advanced Taiwan are another popular
    choice of carbon frames in Italy .

    "tonykara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > like most i would love to ride something italian, my
    > marque of choice is bianchi, however the price tags on a
    > good frame with a decent groupo....campag of course, will
    > set you back around the AUS$5k mark. i dont know about you
    > but my g'friend said im dreaming!.
    >
    > in this months Bicycling Australia mag there is an add for
    > PedalForce carbon monocoqe frames for AUS$1,071.68. thaey
    > say that they are made by those who make the likes of Look
    > and Kestrel. Anyone got one? what do you think.
    >

    > --

  13. Peter Vesel

    Peter Vesel Guest

    I looked at buying one of these a some time back
    They are indeed a martec frame.
    http://www.bikexpo.com/vip/martec/

    See also Leggera bikes, bp stealth, kestrel talon, EPX,
    supergo..... These guys also make Lapierre (carbon),
    Fondriest, Koga miyata, Bianchi,

    After a lot of research it seems a very high number of
    carbon fibre bicycles come from Asia, specifically from 3 or
    4 factories. If I were to buy a cf bike for racing I would
    buy a pedalforce as it would not hurt the pocket too much if
    you crash. The only thing that stopped me was there was a
    limited size range due to the fact they are a 1 piece carbon
    monocoque frame.

    see also http://www.cyclingforums.com/t33659.html http://www.cyclingforums.com/t41866-15-
    17.html http://www.bikecafe.net/directory/XcDirViewRatings.-
    asp?LinkID=1486&CatID=69

    Peter

    "Steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    01.iinet.net.au...
    > Sounds like Martec, Advanced Taiwan are another popular
    > choice of carbon frames in Italy .
    >

    > "tonykara" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]...
    > > like most i would love to ride something italian, my
    > > marque of choice is bianchi, however the price tags on a
    > > good frame with a decent groupo....campag of course,
    > > will set you back around the AUS$5k mark. i dont know
    > > about you but my g'friend said im dreaming!.
    > >
    > > in this months Bicycling Australia mag there is an add
    > > for PedalForce carbon monocoqe frames for AUS$1,071.68.
    > > thaey say that they are made by those who make the likes
    > > of Look and Kestrel. Anyone got one? what do you think.
    > >

    > > --

  14. "tonykara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > like most i would love to ride something italian, my
    > marque of choice is bianchi, however the price tags on a
    > good frame with a decent groupo....campag of course, will
    > set you back around the AUS$5k mark. i dont know about you
    > but my g'friend said im dreaming!.
    >
    > in this months Bicycling Australia mag there is an add for
    > PedalForce carbon monocoqe frames for AUS$1,071.68. thaey
    > say that they are made by those who make the likes of Look
    > and Kestrel. Anyone got one? what do you think.

    This is the cost of my Chinese titanium triathlon bike I
    bought about this time last year. A road frame is about the
    same price.

    Hi Sir: Thanks for your e-mail. Our price is following:
    (1).54 cm titanium Triathlon Frame. FOB XI'AN USD335.00/set
    1set USD335.00
    (2).titanium seat post to suit the frame. FOB XI'AN
    USD38.00/pcs 1pcs USD38.00
    (3).titanium one bolt seat clamp. (To suit the frame). FOB
    XI'AN USD15.00/pcs 1pcs USD15.00
    (4).100 mm, 10 degree rise titanium, clamp type, head stem.
    FOB XI'AN USD35.00/pcs 1pcs USD35.00 Shipping costs(EMS
    express):USD69.00 Total:USD492.00 Please you wire
    USD492.00 to us,we will can make and ship the goods to
    you within 10days.

    Marty

  15. Peter Vesel

    Peter Vesel Guest

    "Marty Wallace" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]wiftdsl.com.au...

    > "tonykara" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]...
    > > like most i would love to ride something italian, my
    > > marque of choice is bianchi, however the price tags on a
    > > good frame with a decent groupo....campag of course,
    > > will set you back around the AUS$5k mark. i dont know
    > > about you but my g'friend said im dreaming!.
    > >
    > > in this months Bicycling Australia mag there is an add
    > > for PedalForce carbon monocoqe frames for AUS$1,071.68.
    > > thaey say that they are made by those who make the likes
    > > of Look and Kestrel. Anyone got one? what do you think.
    > >

    > This is the cost of my Chinese titanium triathlon bike I
    > bought about this time last year. A road frame is about
    > the same price.
    >
    > Hi Sir: Thanks for your e-mail. Our price is following:
    > (1).54 cm titanium Triathlon Frame. FOB XI'AN
    > USD335.00/set 1set USD335.00
    > (2).titanium seat post to suit the frame. FOB XI'AN
    > USD38.00/pcs 1pcs USD38.00
    > (3).titanium one bolt seat clamp. (To suit the frame).
    > FOB XI'AN USD15.00/pcs 1pcs USD15.00
    > (4).100 mm, 10 degree rise titanium, clamp type, head
    > stem. FOB XI'AN USD35.00/pcs 1pcs USD35.00 Shipping
    > costs(EMS express):USD69.00 Total:USD492.00 Please
    > you wire USD492.00 to us,we will can make and ship
    > the goods to
    you
    > within 10days.
    >
    > Marty

    I have only two complaints about my titanium road bike I had
    built by the same people;
    1. the single bolt seat clamp was hard to tighten enough so
    the post wouldn't slip.I had to reverse the pinch bolt
    and fit a nut.
    2. the stem the supplied is not stiff enough for
    sprinting.... and I'm not that strong. If you don't
    race/sprint it would be an excellent stem..very
    comfortable.

    The tubing is oversized so forget anything you read about
    how titanium is flexible or soft. I can't flex my frame.

    I can't thank Marty enough for putting me on to the guys
    in China. I've lost count of how many people have asked
    about my litespeed bike... and it only cost 1/5 th
    price!!! plus it was custom sized and only took 2 weeks to
    make and deliver.

    Peter

  16. "Peter Vesel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Marty Wallace" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:4-
    > [email protected]
    > >
    > > "tonykara" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > > message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > like most i would love to ride something italian, my
    > > > marque of choice
    is
    > > > bianchi, however the price tags on a good frame with a
    > > > decent groupo....campag of course, will set you back
    > > > around the AUS$5k mark.
    > > > dont know about you but my g'friend said im dreaming!.
    > > >
    > > > in this months Bicycling Australia mag there is an add
    > > > for PedalForce carbon monocoqe frames for
    > > > AUS$1,071.68. thaey say that they are made
    by
    > > > those who make the likes of Look and Kestrel. Anyone
    > > > got one? what do you think.
    > > >

    > > This is the cost of my Chinese titanium triathlon bike I
    > > bought about
    this
    > > time last year. A road frame is about the same price.
    > >
    > > Hi Sir: Thanks for your e-mail. Our price is following:
    > > (1).54 cm titanium Triathlon Frame. FOB XI'AN
    > > USD335.00/set 1set USD335.00
    > > (2).titanium seat post to suit the frame. FOB XI'AN
    > > USD38.00/pcs 1pcs USD38.00
    > > (3).titanium one bolt seat clamp. (To suit the frame).
    > > FOB XI'AN USD15.00/pcs 1pcs USD15.00
    > > (4).100 mm, 10 degree rise titanium, clamp type, head
    > > stem. FOB XI'AN USD35.00/pcs 1pcs USD35.00 Shipping
    > > costs(EMS express):USD69.00 Total:USD492.00 Please
    > > you wire USD492.00 to us,we will can make and ship
    > > the goods to
    > you
    > > within 10days.
    > >
    > > Marty
    > >

    > I have only two complaints about my titanium road bike I
    > had built by the same people;
    > 1. the single bolt seat clamp was hard to tighten enough
    > so the post wouldn't slip.I had to reverse the pinch
    > bolt and fit a nut.

    I had the same problem. I think the clamp is really designed
    for softer aluminium frames. I tried several brands of clamp
    before I found one that worked, and even then it had to be
    done up really tight. It just highlights the difference in
    the strenth of Aluminium and Titanium.

    > 2. the stem the supplied is not stiff enough for
    > sprinting.... and I'm not that strong. If you don't
    > race/sprint it would be an excellent stem..very
    > comfortable.

    The stem I ordered went onto my (Ti) mountain bike as I
    already had a Angel tribar set to go on. My mountain bike
    gets severely (ab)used several times a week and the stem
    hasn't failed.

    > The tubing is oversized so forget anything you read about
    > how titanium is flexible or soft. I can't flex my frame.
    >
    > I can't thank Marty enough for putting me on to the guys
    > in China. I've
    lost
    > count of how many people have asked about my litespeed
    > bike... and it only cost 1/5 th price!!! plus it was
    > custom sized and only took 2 weeks to
    make
    > and deliver.
    >
    > Peter

    I smirk every time I read a posting or get an email from
    someone that gets one of these frames it's like it's "our
    little secret".

    Marty

  17. tonykara

    tonykara New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2004
    whats the frame weight on one of these beauties?

  18. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    didnt you post some overly long mock url about people being weight weenies?:D

  19. tonykara

    tonykara New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2004
    yes but i can be one of those people if i want. i made the comment so i can retract it if i wish :D

  20. Peter Vesel

    Peter Vesel Guest

    "tonykara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > whats the frame weight on one of these beauties?

    On the scales mine was 1580 grams without seatpost clamp, or
    derailleur cable guide.(I hope the local fruit shop has
    accurate scales)

    the bike is 51cm x 54.5cm.

    Peter