No name carbon frames

tonykara

New Member
Jun 9, 2004
like most i would love to ride something italian, my marque of choice is bianchi, however the price tags on a good frame with a decent groupo....campag of course, will set you back around the AUS$5k mark. i dont know about you but my g'friend said im dreaming!.

in this months Bicycling Australia mag there is an add for PedalForce carbon monocoqe frames for AUS$1,071.68. thaey say that they are made by those who make the likes of Look and Kestrel. Anyone got one? what do you think.

Originally posted by tonykara:

> in this months Bicycling Australia mag there is an add for PedalForce carbon
> monocoqe frames for AUS$1,071.68. thaey say that they are made by those
> who make the likes of Look and Kestrel. Anyone got one? what do you think.

As an owner of an expensive Italian bike (a Colnago Dream Plus) I can attest that they aren't worth the money.

While this frame is probably just as good as those made for the major manufacturers, and indeed is probably made by the same people, it's just plastic. Why not spend your money on a decent steel frame that'll last, rather than something that will fall apart inside of five years.

Regards,

Suzy

>Originally posted by tonykara
>in this months Bicycling Australia mag there is an add for >PedalForce carbon monocoqe frames for AUS$1,071.68. thaey >say that they are made by those who make the likes of Look >and Kestrel. Anyone got one? what do you think.

They do have a name.. Pedal Force :)
http://www.pedalforce.com/

Grain of salt in hand:
http://www.bikecafe.net/directory/XcDirViewRatings.asp?LinkID=1486&CatID=69

Here's a pic of a Chorus buildup:
http://www.cyclingforums.com/t41866-15-17.html

http://smallproblem.com/carbon/

I've never seen one before.. sorry I don't have a personal
review :) Quite willing to test the one you buy though.. ;)

hippy

Ive looked at a custom steel frames such as paconi and ciombola....the later seems abit dear compared to paconi. but everyone i know is either on alloy/carbon or carbon. I currently ride full alloy and its HARSH...... how smooth is steel and would you need the rear carbon on say an ultrafoco or EOM 16.5 frame?

"tonykara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> like most i would love to ride something italian, my
> marque of choice is bianchi, however the price tags on a
> good frame with a decent groupo....campag of course, will
> set you back around the AUS$5k mark. i dont know about you
> but my g'friend said im dreaming!.
>
> in this months Bicycling Australia mag there is an add for
> PedalForce carbon monocoqe frames for AUS$1,071.68. thaey
> say that they are made by those who make the likes of Look
> and Kestrel. Anyone got one? what do you think.
>

> --

If you don't mind Titanium instead of Carbon then you could
try this place. http://www.xacd.com.cn/product.asp?rootcl=1

You can get their frames for much less than $1000.

Marty

"suzyj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Originally posted by tonykara:
>
> > in this months Bicycling Australia mag there is an add
> > for PedalForce carbon monocoqe frames for AUS$1,071.68.
> > thaey say that they are made by those who make the likes
> > of Look and Kestrel. Anyone got one? what do you think.
>
> As an owner of an expensive Italian bike (a Colnago Dream
> Plus) I can attest that they aren't worth the money.
>
> While this frame is probably just as good as those made
> for the major manufacturers, and indeed is probably made
> by the same people, it's just plastic. Why not spend your
> money on a decent steel frame that'll last, rather than
> something that will fall apart inside of five years.
>
> Regards,
>
> Suzy
>

> --

For a few years I raced on a steel bike that I bought from
a bike shop for $20. The bike shop owner had to find it in
the "shed out the back somewhere". I rubbed all the paint
off and re-sprayed it with some Bianchi coloured paint I
bought from the local auto shop. I still have that frame
but the bits have been robbed off it to put onto my
Chinese Ti bikes.

Marty

If you don't mind Titanium instead of Carbon then you could
try this place. http://www.xacd.com.cn/product.asp?rootcl=1

You can get their frames for much less than $1000.

Marty [/B]

Tony. that's the mob i mentioned on Sunday

Marty has a rather noice lookin roadie from them
There's also a huge thread on cyclingplus.co.uk re these guys
(search under 'cheap' and 'Ti' )

PS cycleworks.com.au (box hill) are doing your beloved Bianchi cheap at the mo with upgraded bits...

Seeing as we use the same pedals we can swap bikes for a bit this Sunday if you like (altho you'd have to teach me how to use that JapaneseSTI stuff;) )

>Originally posted by Marty Wallace
>For a few years I raced on a steel bike that I bought from
>a bike shop for $20. The bike shop owner had to find it in
>the "shed out the back somewhere". I rubbed all the paint
>off and re-sprayed it with some Bianchi coloured paint I
>bought from the local auto shop. I still have that frame
>but the bits have been robbed off it to put onto my
>Chinese Ti bikes.

Most people wouldn't know.. you could say it was a bike
Merckx "tested" when he was thinking about "defecting"
or some guff :)

hippy

> PS cycleworks.com.au (box hill) are doing your beloved
> Bianchi cheap at the mo with upgraded bits...

Dutch if you're in there for your rim, can you have a quick
look at the Carnac shoes (which are half price at the
moment) and see what the cheapest set of road shoes are.
Otherwise I'll ride over on Saturday to check them out
(although must conserve energy for BR4).

DaveB

Originally posted by Daveb
> PS cycleworks.com.au (box hill) are doing your beloved
> Bianchi cheap at the mo with upgraded bits...

Dutch if you're in there for your rim, can you have a quick
look at the Carnac shoes (which are half price at the
moment) and see what the cheapest set of road shoes are.
Otherwise I'll ride over on Saturday to check them out
(although must conserve energy for BR4).

DaveB

what size are your feet, i have a pair of adidas RD Comp shoes (top of the line carbon soled) ive done about 1000km on them but they are too small, i think they are a size 42.5

> what size are your feet, i have a pair of adidas RD Comp
> shoes (top of the line carbon soled) ive done about
> 1000km on them but they are too small, i think they are a
> size 42.5

I'm not sure what size I am. Around 9-9 1/2 in "normal"
shoes. Not sure what that translates to.

DaveB

Sounds like Martec, Advanced Taiwan are another popular
choice of carbon frames in Italy .

"tonykara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> like most i would love to ride something italian, my
> marque of choice is bianchi, however the price tags on a
> good frame with a decent groupo....campag of course, will
> set you back around the AUS$5k mark. i dont know about you
> but my g'friend said im dreaming!.
>
> in this months Bicycling Australia mag there is an add for
> PedalForce carbon monocoqe frames for AUS$1,071.68. thaey
> say that they are made by those who make the likes of Look
> and Kestrel. Anyone got one? what do you think.
>

> --

I looked at buying one of these a some time back
They are indeed a martec frame.
http://www.bikexpo.com/vip/martec/

See also Leggera bikes, bp stealth, kestrel talon, EPX,
supergo..... These guys also make Lapierre (carbon),
Fondriest, Koga miyata, Bianchi,

After a lot of research it seems a very high number of
carbon fibre bicycles come from Asia, specifically from 3 or
4 factories. If I were to buy a cf bike for racing I would
buy a pedalforce as it would not hurt the pocket too much if
you crash. The only thing that stopped me was there was a
limited size range due to the fact they are a 1 piece carbon
monocoque frame.

see also http://www.cyclingforums.com/t33659.html http://www.cyclingforums.com/t41866-15-
17.html http://www.bikecafe.net/directory/XcDirViewRatings.-
asp?LinkID=1486&CatID=69

Peter

"Steve" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:40ec0fac$0$24765$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
01.iinet.net.au...
> Sounds like Martec, Advanced Taiwan are another popular
> choice of carbon frames in Italy .
>

> "tonykara" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
> > like most i would love to ride something italian, my
> > marque of choice is bianchi, however the price tags on a
> > good frame with a decent groupo....campag of course,
> > will set you back around the AUS$5k mark. i dont know
> > about you but my g'friend said im dreaming!.
> >
> > in this months Bicycling Australia mag there is an add
> > for PedalForce carbon monocoqe frames for AUS$1,071.68.
> > thaey say that they are made by those who make the likes
> > of Look and Kestrel. Anyone got one? what do you think.
> >

> > --

"tonykara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> like most i would love to ride something italian, my
> marque of choice is bianchi, however the price tags on a
> good frame with a decent groupo....campag of course, will
> set you back around the AUS$5k mark. i dont know about you
> but my g'friend said im dreaming!.
>
> in this months Bicycling Australia mag there is an add for
> PedalForce carbon monocoqe frames for AUS$1,071.68. thaey
> say that they are made by those who make the likes of Look
> and Kestrel. Anyone got one? what do you think.

This is the cost of my Chinese titanium triathlon bike I
bought about this time last year. A road frame is about the
same price.

Hi Sir: Thanks for your e-mail. Our price is following:
(1).54 cm titanium Triathlon Frame. FOB XI'AN USD335.00/set
1set USD335.00
(2).titanium seat post to suit the frame. FOB XI'AN
USD38.00/pcs 1pcs USD38.00
(3).titanium one bolt seat clamp. (To suit the frame). FOB
XI'AN USD15.00/pcs 1pcs USD15.00
(4).100 mm, 10 degree rise titanium, clamp type, head stem.
FOB XI'AN USD35.00/pcs 1pcs USD35.00 Shipping costs(EMS
express):USD69.00 Total:USD492.00 Please you wire
USD492.00 to us,we will can make and ship the goods to
you within 10days.

Marty

"Marty Wallace" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "tonykara" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
> > like most i would love to ride something italian, my
> > marque of choice is bianchi, however the price tags on a
> > good frame with a decent groupo....campag of course,
> > will set you back around the AUS$5k mark. i dont know
> > about you but my g'friend said im dreaming!.
> >
> > in this months Bicycling Australia mag there is an add
> > for PedalForce carbon monocoqe frames for AUS$1,071.68.
> > thaey say that they are made by those who make the likes
> > of Look and Kestrel. Anyone got one? what do you think.
> >

> This is the cost of my Chinese titanium triathlon bike I
> bought about this time last year. A road frame is about
> the same price.
>
> Hi Sir: Thanks for your e-mail. Our price is following:
> (1).54 cm titanium Triathlon Frame. FOB XI'AN
> USD335.00/set 1set USD335.00
> (2).titanium seat post to suit the frame. FOB XI'AN
> USD38.00/pcs 1pcs USD38.00
> (3).titanium one bolt seat clamp. (To suit the frame).
> FOB XI'AN USD15.00/pcs 1pcs USD15.00
> (4).100 mm, 10 degree rise titanium, clamp type, head
> stem. FOB XI'AN USD35.00/pcs 1pcs USD35.00 Shipping
> costs(EMS express):USD69.00 Total:USD492.00 Please
> you wire USD492.00 to us,we will can make and ship
> the goods to
you
> within 10days.
>
> Marty

I have only two complaints about my titanium road bike I had
built by the same people;
1. the single bolt seat clamp was hard to tighten enough so
the post wouldn't slip.I had to reverse the pinch bolt
and fit a nut.
2. the stem the supplied is not stiff enough for
sprinting.... and I'm not that strong. If you don't
race/sprint it would be an excellent stem..very
comfortable.

The tubing is oversized so forget anything you read about
how titanium is flexible or soft. I can't flex my frame.

I can't thank Marty enough for putting me on to the guys
in China. I've lost count of how many people have asked
about my litespeed bike... and it only cost 1/5 th
price!!! plus it was custom sized and only took 2 weeks to
make and deliver.

Peter

"Peter Vesel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Marty Wallace" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:4-
> [email protected]...
> >
> > "tonykara" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > like most i would love to ride something italian, my
> > > marque of choice
is
> > > bianchi, however the price tags on a good frame with a
> > > decent groupo....campag of course, will set you back
> > > around the AUS$5k mark.
> > > dont know about you but my g'friend said im dreaming!.
> > >
> > > in this months Bicycling Australia mag there is an add
> > > for PedalForce carbon monocoqe frames for
> > > AUS$1,071.68. thaey say that they are made
by
> > > those who make the likes of Look and Kestrel. Anyone
> > > got one? what do you think.
> > >

> > This is the cost of my Chinese titanium triathlon bike I
> > bought about
this
> > time last year. A road frame is about the same price.
> >
> > Hi Sir: Thanks for your e-mail. Our price is following:
> > (1).54 cm titanium Triathlon Frame. FOB XI'AN
> > USD335.00/set 1set USD335.00
> > (2).titanium seat post to suit the frame. FOB XI'AN
> > USD38.00/pcs 1pcs USD38.00
> > (3).titanium one bolt seat clamp. (To suit the frame).
> > FOB XI'AN USD15.00/pcs 1pcs USD15.00
> > (4).100 mm, 10 degree rise titanium, clamp type, head
> > stem. FOB XI'AN USD35.00/pcs 1pcs USD35.00 Shipping
> > costs(EMS express):USD69.00 Total:USD492.00 Please
> > you wire USD492.00 to us,we will can make and ship
> > the goods to
> you
> > within 10days.
> >
> > Marty
> >

> I have only two complaints about my titanium road bike I
> had built by the same people;
> 1. the single bolt seat clamp was hard to tighten enough
> so the post wouldn't slip.I had to reverse the pinch
> bolt and fit a nut.

I had the same problem. I think the clamp is really designed
for softer aluminium frames. I tried several brands of clamp
before I found one that worked, and even then it had to be
done up really tight. It just highlights the difference in
the strenth of Aluminium and Titanium.

> 2. the stem the supplied is not stiff enough for
> sprinting.... and I'm not that strong. If you don't
> race/sprint it would be an excellent stem..very
> comfortable.

The stem I ordered went onto my (Ti) mountain bike as I
already had a Angel tribar set to go on. My mountain bike
gets severely (ab)used several times a week and the stem
hasn't failed.

> The tubing is oversized so forget anything you read about
> how titanium is flexible or soft. I can't flex my frame.
>
> I can't thank Marty enough for putting me on to the guys
> in China. I've
lost
> count of how many people have asked about my litespeed
> bike... and it only cost 1/5 th price!!! plus it was
> custom sized and only took 2 weeks to
make
> and deliver.
>
> Peter

I smirk every time I read a posting or get an email from
someone that gets one of these frames it's like it's "our
little secret".

Marty

Originally posted by flyingdutch
didnt you post some overly long mock url about people being weight weenies?:D

yes but i can be one of those people if i want. i made the comment so i can retract it if i wish :D

"tonykara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> whats the frame weight on one of these beauties?

On the scales mine was 1580 grams without seatpost clamp, or
derailleur cable guide.(I hope the local fruit shop has
accurate scales)

the bike is 51cm x 54.5cm.

Peter