No Newer Than 1948

CAMPYBOB

Sep 12, 2005
While out riding this afternoon I spotted a die laying in the road. I wheeled around, picked it up and stuffed it in my jersey pocket. Being a machinist, I have interest in and use for such things as taps and dies.

I brought it into the garage and oiled it up and rubbed on it until I could read the information stamped on it.

U.S.F. (United States Form, an obsolete thread system)

3/8 (3/8" diameter)

40 (40 threads per inch, a Unified National Superfine series. That's a lot of threads per in for a screw this large in diameter)

But, the most interesting information stamped into the dies was the word Winter and a Flower Symbol.

I had never heard of a Winter tap or die in my 35 years in the business, but thanks to the internet I soon had my mystery die manufacturer's history from day one until the plant closed in 1948.

And one of the founders was a cyclist.

If you are interested, here is a good read on the Winter Bros. Company with lots of cool old pictures.

http://patandmeloakes.com/PatandMelOakesFamily/Oakes_Blog/Winter_Brothers_Tap_&_Die.html

WinterBrosShopPostCardWeb.jpg

It's hard to believe that a die manufacture at least 68 years ago at this factory is still useable. Monday I'm going to thread some .375" drill rod to see how it cuts after all those years.

Note the employee bicycles used as basic transportation from home to the shop.