no peace for the wicked

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Bob Flemming, Feb 2, 2003.

  1. Bob Flemming

    Bob Flemming Guest

    set off today to Watford <about 14 mile each way>..

    1. 2 miles into journey - massive split in back tyre, tube feels like sticking its head out from the
    tyre......out and bursts. Bodged with some plastic, and bits of the burst tube(didn't have any
    dollar bills on me)....limped back home to change tyre.

    Begin journey again..

    2. 6 miles into journey.....flat tyre on front. fix that and carry on.

    3. coming home...in the dark....another flat...in the rear.....fix that and eventually get home.

    No sign of any offending object.....in either tyre.

    sometimes things really do happen in 3's.

    moral:....ALWAYS carry at least a spare tube, punture kit and ....a pump!

    which reminds me, I must invest in that real good quality very lightweight chain
    splitter...(forgotten the name right now)

    these things are worth their weight in gold

    bob

    Tags:

  2. I do a lot of bike touring and had no puncture on a tour for about 5 years. That would be about 15
    tours. One morning in Scotland I and my wife got three punctures and a blown tyre and tube (4 in
    all) in three different wheels. I didn't get another for the rest of the tour, or for a couple of
    tours after. The puncture god moves in mysterious ways.

  3. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Bob Flemming wrote:

    > which reminds me, I must invest in that real good quality very lightweight chain
    > splitter...(forgotten the name right now)

    I use a Park one which works with 7, 8 and 9 speed chains.

    Oh, and I also carry a Park tyre boot, which is a good alternative to dollar bills, if slightly
    dearer :)

    --
    Guy
    ===

  4. Bob Flemming

    Bob Flemming Guest

    On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 15:56:13 -0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Bob Flemming wrote:
    >
    >> which reminds me, I must invest in that real good quality very lightweight chain
    >> splitter...(forgotten the name right now)
    >
    >I use a Park one which works with 7, 8 and 9 speed chains.
    >
    >Oh, and I also carry a Park tyre boot

    Please illuminate, what's one of those???

    bob

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

  6. Bob Flemming

    Bob Flemming Guest

    On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 19:13:34 -0000, "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

    >Bob Flemming wrote:
    >>> Oh, and I also carry a Park tyre boot
    >>
    >> Please illuminate, what's one of those???
    >
    >http://www.parktool.com/tools/TB_1.shtml

    Thanks. Just the ticket.

    Has to be better than crisp packets, some old cardboard drink container and bits of inner tube
    stuffed in there! Still, I got home....<bump, bump, bump>

    bob

  7. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Bob Flemming <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Oh, and I also carry a Park tyre boot
    >
    > Please illuminate, what's one of those???

    Its a pair of boots your bike can wear to walk home with you when its become unrideable

    Tony

    http://www.raven-family.com

    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George
    Bernard Shaw.

  8. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Mon, 03 Feb 2003 19:20:24 +0000, Bob Flemming <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>http://www.parktool.com/tools/TB_1.shtml
    >Just the ticket.

    Should be, yes. Weighs nothing, takes up no space, and cost very little. I bought it after a
    glass-related incident. I got home using a long self-adhesive patch over the cut, but it wasn't very
    satisfactory.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)