no prepositions in team names

Daniel Connelly

Guest
Please, the use of prepositions in team names has to stop now.

Jeff Jones reads this list -- cyclingnews must be pro-active in this.

I'm going to go nuts if I try to follow cycling this year, if this new practice of using
prepositions is continued.

It's almost as bad as housing developments.

Dan

I used to think "Cofidis le credit par telephone" was plain stupid. What if others started to call
thelselves "Fassa Bortolo the constructions which wont fall down" or "Davitamon former convicts know
whats best" etc

Now, looking at results and seeing the full "USPS presented by..." expression is revolting to me.
It's over-dominating the results listings. A sponsor and co-sponsor. Nothing more. Please Jeff.

No way, it makes it soooo easy to spot USPS results, just look for the longest sponsor(s) name. I
think it's a conspiracy.

Joe "Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I used to think "Cofidis le credit par telephone" was plain stupid. What if others started to call
> thelselves "Fassa Bortolo the constructions which wont fall down" or "Davitamon former convicts
> know whats best" etc
>
> Now, looking at results and seeing the full "USPS presented by..." expression is revolting to me.
> It's over-dominating the results listings. A sponsor and co-sponsor. Nothing more. Please Jeff.

Bart <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Please Jeff.

How about USPSPBBF?

You're lucky I don't use the full name, or we'd get:

1 Roberto Heras Hernandez (Spa) United States Postal Service Pro Cycling Team presented by
Berry Floor.

I agree it does make the times a little hard to read in the results... My favourite team now is CSC.

cheers, Jeff (maybe I should shorten it to Jef)

Jeff Jones wrote:

> Jeff (maybe I should shorten it to Jef)

Anyone remember Jef Barnard? How about J-F Jones? (Kinda like J-ME, could be a trend)

On Sat, 01 Mar 2003 09:34:05 +1300, Stewart Fleming wrote:
>Anyone remember Jef Barnard?

Bernard, Jean-Fran=E7ois; sure!

>How about J-F Jones? (Kinda like J-ME, could be a trend)

People would think his name is Jean-Fran=E7ois too. In Gent, it'd better be Sjefke.

>>How about J-F Jones? (Kinda like J-ME, could be a trend)

No dashes/hyphens.

>People would think his name is Jean-François too. In Gent, it'd better be Sjefke.

I've definitely been called worse names, but that's longer...

JJ would work, but it's more ambiguous. JFL, JFK, or just CBF any more.

Back to work. Rain outside!! Het Volk is going to be fun.

Daniel Connelly <[email protected]> wrote:
> Please, the use of prepositions in team names has to stop now. Jeff Jones reads this list --
> cyclingnews must be pro-active in this. I'm going to go nuts if I try to follow cycling this year,
> if this new practice of using prepositions is continued. It's almost as bad as housing
> developments.

How can you argue with a year that brings us the team named "Fitness Blender"? That's too cool. I
don't even know what a Fitness Blender _is_, I haven't even seen the late-night infomercial yet -
given the name I figure it's scheduled in between the Tony Little Gazelle Trainer and the Ron Popeil
Showtime Rotisserie, or perhaps - heaven! - an unholy hybrid of the two. But I know I want one.

Ben I assume a Fitness Blender allows you to improve your fitness by mixing girly daiquiri-style
drinks, sign me up!