No Progress to report!

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling archive' started by Jayne Za, Jul 5, 2004.

  1. Jayne Za

    Jayne Za Guest

    Krashin'Kenny wrote:
    > *Remember, everybody else is riding those LITTLE
    > unicycles. It may take you a little longer on the
    > Coker ;) *

    Kenny, I know that. This is one of those instances where
    bigger isn't always better ;) . It still doesn't stop me
    feeling like I'm going nowhere. The length of the
    carport (about 3 pedal pushes on the coker) just doesn't
    do it for me.

    cyberbellum wrote:
    > *Cool.
    >
    > (dons a black berret, puts on sunglasses and does the two-
    > handed beat-generation snap)
    >
    > Way cool. *

    Tim, post a video of yourself doing that, please. Then I
    promise to post a video of myself in my tight blue jeans
    rolling out the door once I get that right on the coker.
    Just be prepared for a LONG wait.

    Jayne

    --
    Jayne ZA - Learning to ride on a Coker

    Being a statistician means never having to say you're certain

    Jayne ZA's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4878

  2. Cyberbellum

    Cyberbellum Guest

    Jayne ZA wrote:
    > * Tim, post a video of yourself doing that, please. Then I
    > promise to post a video of myself in my tight blue jeans
    > rolling out the door once I get that right on the coker.
    > Just be prepared for a LONG wait.
    >
    > *

    Finding a song with the right beat for beginning Coker
    riding was a fun project. The original song used the words
    "red blue jeans," so you can skip the "tight" if you like.
    The original Gene Vincent lyics are about a teen-ager:

    > BE-BOP-A-LULA
    >
    > Well be-bop-a-lula she's my baby, Be-bop-a-lula I don't
    > mean maybe. Be-bop-a-lula she's my baby Be-bop-a-lula I
    > don't mean maybe Be-bop-a-lula she's my baby love, My baby
    > love, my baby love.
    >
    > Well she's the girl in the red blue jeans. She's the queen
    > of all the teens. She's the one that I know She's the one
    > that loves me so.
    >
    > Say be-bop-a-lula she's my baby, Be-bop-a-lula I don't
    > mean maybe. Be-bop-a-lula she's my baby Be-bop-a-lula I
    > don't mean maybe Be-bop-a-lula she's my baby love, My baby
    > love, my baby love.
    >
    > Well she's the one that gots that beat. She's the one with
    > the flyin' feet. She's the one that walks around the
    > store. She's the one that gets more more more.
    >
    > Be-bop-a-lula she's my baby, Be-bop-a-lula I don't mean
    > maybe. Be-bop-a-lula she's my baby Be-bop-a-lula I don't
    > mean maybe Be-bop-a-lula she's my baby love, My baby love,
    > my baby love.

    The Elvis and Jerry Lee duet was recorded when they were
    both older men. Their version speaks of a woman of
    experience. Since you've got a couple of kids and are trying
    to learn on a Coker I figured that would suit you better. It
    was also a bit slower and had better rythm. Too bad I
    couldn't find a mp3 stream with the duet. It exists in a .rm
    version if you want to look for it.

    As for a video, well that will have to wait. I have a pair
    of Ray-Bans and could probably borrow a black berret from my
    niece, but I don't have easy access to a video camera.

    For what it's worth, my sense of futility was strongest just
    before I succeeded.

    Tim

    --
    cyberbellum - Level 1.0 rider!

    Optimists think the glass is half full. Pesimists think the glass is
    half empty. Engineers think the glass is too big.
    cyberbellum's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4550

  3. Brian.Slater

    Brian.Slater Guest

    Jayne ZA wrote:
    > *What I can't get over is just how tired I am. I feel like
    > I'm back at the beginning and starting to learn all over
    > again. Am I just a big fat unfit lump or is this common?*
    I think it's because of the fight-or-flight thing making
    your all muscles try to help, when you really relax it's
    much less work. The first time I got out of my drive-way, I
    had to stop at less than a quarter mile (.4km) because I had
    a heart rate of 190+. And that was with a 24 inch. Now I can
    Coker more than 10 miles (16km) at an average of about 9
    miles an hour and hardly notice my pulse.

    Fat? We haven't seen pictures, but I doubt it - you wouldn't
    be learning on a Coker if you were. :cool: Unfit? For riding
    a unicycle, nobody starts out with the _skills_ you're
    learning. Not unfit, unskilled, but fixing that. :) Lump?
    Lumps are on the couch, eating greasy potato chips, and
    watching the tele, not riding unicycles.:D

    --
    brian.slater - Nellfurtiti, the Wonder Cat

    Brian C. Slater
    AKA: Snoopy

    Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
    Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference.

    "To not decide is to decide" - undecided
    brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902

  4. Thinuniking

    Thinuniking Guest

    I can give you any advice but i know how you feel i went
    through a stage of not learning anything then i nailed a
    crank grab and it's kept getting beta and beta!!!! Ben

    --
    thinuniking - we met a tree hugger(he rode a bike

    MUNI MILITIA now in the uk!
    thinuniking's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4294

  5. Jayne Za

    Jayne Za Guest

    cyberbellum wrote:
    > *Finding a song with the right beat for beginning Coker
    > riding was a fun project. The original song used the words
    > "red blue jeans," so you can skip the "tight" if you like.
    > The original Gene Vincent lyics are about a teen-ager:
    > <snip of song lyrics> The Elvis and Jerry Lee duet was
    > recorded when they were both older men. Their version
    > speaks of a woman of experience. Since you've got a couple
    > of kids and are trying to learn on a Coker I figured that
    > would suit you better.*

    Tim, I feel the need to mention that I am 34, so 5 years
    short of being 13 for the third time. I am, despite being a
    mother of two, in good enough shape that my clothes are only
    tight when I want them to be ;). I actually already possess
    the required pair of jeans. They are, however, designed to
    be worn with boots and are consequently a bit flared at the
    bottom. Guess I'll have to tuck them into my socks or
    something. BTW - what are "red blue jeans"?

    Other than that, thanks everybody for all the suggestions
    and good thoughts. I know that my progress is not likely to
    be linear. I've already noticed that I'll "stick" at a point
    for what seems like ages. Then, almost without noticing
    (sometimes other people will have to point it out to me, or
    point out that I'm just marking time) I'll make this huge
    (for me) leap of progress.

    My favourite post thus far:

    Scott Kurland, RMT wrote:
    > *Hell, to the extent that I set the standard, you're
    > kicking the standard's butt.*

    Jayne

    --
    Jayne ZA - Learning to ride on a Coker

    Being a statistician means never having to say you're certain

    Jayne ZA's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4878

  6. Cyberbellum

    Cyberbellum Guest

    Jayne ZA wrote:
    > * BTW - what are "red blue jeans"? *

    Blue jeans that are red, of course.

    Chin up, Jayne - at this rate you'll be "rolling out that
    door" in style before winter sets in for real. I was about
    where you are in 16 hours and I was on a 20" unicycle so
    you're well ahead of the curve.

    By the way, what are winters like down there? Here in DC it
    just hit 32 degC, with the usual 80 percent humidity. In a
    couple of months it will be over 40. With 90 percent
    humidity. I may have to modify my set of pads. Fully suited
    up I'm getting sweat in my eyes within 10 minutes. I miss
    winter already.

    --
    cyberbellum - Level 1.0 rider!

    Optimists think the glass is half full. Pesimists think the glass is
    half empty. Engineers think the glass is too big.
    cyberbellum's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4550

  7. Cyberbellum

    Cyberbellum Guest

    Jayne ZA wrote:
    > * I know that my progress is not likely to be linear. I've
    > already noticed that I'll "stick" at a point for what
    > seems like ages. Then, almost without noticing
    > (sometimes other people will have to point it out to me,
    > or point out that I'm just marking time) I'll make this
    > huge (for me) leap of progress. *

    Neurologically what is going on is that you are over-
    stimulating your muscles. By now you've developed the right
    reflexes, but they are being smothered by all the crude
    attempts at unicycling reflexes that your body tried at
    first. All that neural activity sort of paralyzes the
    muscles. Now the challenge is to let your body forget all
    the crappy stuff.

    I found that just putting the damn thing away for a week or
    two resulted in significant progress. My theory is that the
    nervous system tags the good reflexes for reinforcement and
    the bad reflexes are tagged for removal, but it takes time
    for body's maintenance workers to get around to actually
    doing the reinforcement and removal tasks.

    After a couple of weeks off I found that the "bad" reflexes
    had almost faded away, but the "good" ones were almost as
    strong. It felt a bit rusty at first, but once I got going
    my riding was much smoother and my reactions surer. All that
    guilt about taking time off for nothing!

    I guess what I'm saying is that you've already done the
    hard, pioneering work. Those reflexes are in there, and your
    body won't forget them. You've already mastered that wheel.
    It's just a matter of time before your body will let you
    express what you know.

    And yeah, I think you're kicking butt too!

    --
    cyberbellum - Level 1.0 rider!

    Optimists think the glass is half full. Pesimists think the glass is
    half empty. Engineers think the glass is too big.
    cyberbellum's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4550

  8. Jayne Za

    Jayne Za Guest

    cyberbellum wrote:
    > *By the way, what are winters like down there? Here in DC
    > it just hit 32 degC, with the usual 80 percent humidity.
    > In a couple of months it will be over 40. With 90 percent
    > humidity. I may have to modify my set of pads. Fully
    > suited up I'm getting sweat in my eyes within 10 minutes.
    > I miss winter already. *

    Have you ever been to Edmonton, Canada, in Summer? A
    colleague says that is pretty much our winter, we just have
    less rain.:D

    Basically our highveld winters are dry and not too cold, at
    least as far as most people are concerned. Personally, I
    freeze! We do get some sub-zero temperatures, but most of
    those are in the middle of the night when you don't really
    notice them. If the weather is really cold our midday high
    will be in single figures, otherwise we can get up to
    between 15 and 20 degC. In summer we get afternoon
    thunderstorms and temperatures can get up to 35 degC and
    above. We don't have the humidity problem, being so far
    inland, but we can still be feeling those temperatures at 10
    - 11 o'clock at night.

    Jayne

    --
    Jayne ZA - Learning to ride on a Coker

    Being a statistician means never having to say you're certain

    Jayne ZA's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4878

  9. Wentz

    Wentz Guest

    (better late than never, I hope) You mentioned that you can
    do pretty well if you borrow a shoulder. Is that shoulder
    always on the same side of you? If so, you might have
    developed a slight lean to one side that is causing some of
    your troubles. Try riding with the shoulder on the other
    side, and switch back and forth. Hopefully when you ride
    unassisted, your body will pick the middle ground, and you
    will be balanced.

    When I learned to ride, all my supports were on my right
    side. It took me much longer to learn to turn left than to
    turn right, and I still have an urge to ride off-center
    occassionally.

    --
    wentz - Heh, Albatross is sorta blah, eh?

    Avatar inspired by 'this thread' (http://tinyurl.com/2kmun) and 'this
    thread' (http://tinyurl.com/3gsqo).
    wentz's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4563

  10. Jayne Za

    Jayne Za Guest

    wentz wrote:
    > [BIs that shoulder always on the same side of you?[/B]

    Nope. I am boringly diligent about changing sides. Even if I
    am in the middle of an open parking lot I swap feet (when
    mounting) and support location (also when mounting, I can't
    freemount yet) regularly.

    I just need more practice and less cowardice.

    Jayne

    --
    Jayne ZA - Learning to ride on a Coker

    Being a statistician means never having to say you're certain

    Jayne ZA's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4878

  11. Cyberbellum

    Cyberbellum Guest

    wentz wrote:
    > * When I learned to ride, all my supports were on my right
    > side. It took me much longer to learn to turn left than
    > to turn right, and I still have an urge to ride off-
    > center occassionally. *

    Hmmm... That explains a lot. I learned asymetrically, and
    turning right is still much harder.

    I found that it was partly to do with how I had my feet on
    the pedals. As a cyclist I'm used to having the pedal
    spindle under the balls of my feet for long rides, and a bit
    forward of that for sprinting, so I'm very careful to place
    my feet just so on the pedals. But when I slap my foot onto
    a pedal in a freemount it's easiest when the pedal winds up
    under my arch. So my static foot (almost always left) is
    placed carefuly with the spindle under the balls of my feet,
    and my dynamic foot winds up pedaling with the spindle under
    my arch. This asymmetry in my foot position has an effect
    similar to a twisted seat. Now I put my static foot on near
    the arch and live with a sub-optimal pedaling position for
    both feet.