No recumbent section in "Bicycling" magazine buyer's guide!

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by R2D2, Mar 8, 2003.

  1. R2D2

    R2D2 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
    Are we lower than dirt, or what?

    :(

    Tags:

  2. Wolverbob

    Wolverbob Guest

    Well at least Bicycling showed a recumbent in the issue prior to the buyers guide.

    Bob Krzewinski

  3. Richard Ryan

    Richard Ryan Guest

    "R2D2" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Are we lower than dirt, or what?

    According to Rodale press's web site Bicycling covers all aspects of cycling. As we all know
    this is a slight exaggeration. IMO it doesn't much matter anymore what Bicycling covers. The
    magazine only has a circulation of 280,000. Any information anyone needs about cycling can be
    found on the internet.

    Dick Ryan

  4. R2D2 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Are we lower than dirt, or what?
    >
    > :(

    actually, I have about 8" of air THEN dirt. I fly up hills, found out yesterday I can lift the front
    wheel on command, stop completely at stop signs/signals, but not being so competitive or "sports"
    (racing) minded is rather boring. Recumbents seem to be a tool, which invite constant tweaking.

    I am awaiting the Go One showing in San Jose, CA.- later in March. Being completely faired; I doubt
    it will be under the soil level either!

    Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

  5. Paul Worden

    Paul Worden Guest

  6. Hel-Bent

    Hel-Bent Guest

  7. R2D2

    R2D2 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003

  8. R2D2 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Originally posted by Hel-Bent Who needs Bicycle Magazine? We have RCN and BROL.
    >
    > Can you give me info or links to these? Thanks, R2

    Off the top of my head:

    www.recumbentcyclistnews.com www.bentrideronline.com www.recumbentandtandemrider.com

    not to mention various lists and e-zines on the computer. So who needs Bicycling magazine for
    bent content?

    Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

  9. R2D2

    R2D2 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
  10. Don

    Don Guest

    Recently I came across a copy of Bicycling magazine's "1992 Buyer's Guide -- 931 New Bikes" (yes, I
    said 1992). I knew I wouldn't find any mention of recumbents in a magazine that old, so was I
    surprised to find that listed under the "Best Buys" section was a glowing, GLOWING report entitled
    "Easy Racer, Tour Easy, A Cessna for the Pavement" by Jim Langley. I don't know who Jim Langley is,
    but his article makes him sound like an early recumbent convert and a true believer. "Descending is
    electrifying. Slippery as it is, this road rocket seems to accelerate endlessly. . . . It's such fun
    I couldn't stop smiling."

    I suppose the reason that more bikers didn't rush right out to buy a Tour Easy after reading this
    article was the sticker shock -- $1,680 with Super Zzipper fairing, in 1992 dollars.

    So . . . recumbents haven't always been ignored by Bicycling.

    Don Santa Cruz

    R2D2 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Christopher Jor wrote:
    > >www.recumbentcyclistnews.com[/url] ]www.bentrideronline.com[/url]
    > >]www.recumbentandtandemrider.com
    >

    > Thanks for the info Chris

  11. R2D2

    R2D2 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
    In the past, I too have seen sections in the Buyer's Guide on recumbents. Do they just consider us that small of a market nowadays? Now that the novelty has worn off. :(

    I remember first seeing a recumbent in the movie "Brainstorm." Christopher Walken was riding a LWB. :)

  12. Paul Bruneau

    Paul Bruneau Guest

    Yes, he's the main guy at Bicycling who wrote some nice things about recumbents. The whole story is
    faded in my mind, but he may have been the guy who dared to write the impotence article. I don't
    know if he's still there.

    Don wrote:
    > Recently I came across a copy of Bicycling magazine's "1992 Buyer's Guide -- 931 New Bikes" (yes,
    > I said 1992). I knew I wouldn't find any mention of recumbents in a magazine that old, so was I
    > surprised to find that listed under the "Best Buys" section was a glowing, GLOWING report entitled
    > "Easy Racer, Tour Easy, A Cessna for the Pavement" by Jim Langley. I don't know who Jim Langley
    > is, but his article makes him sound like an early recumbent convert and a true believer.
    > "Descending is electrifying. Slippery as it is, this road rocket seems to accelerate endlessly. .
    > . . It's such fun I couldn't stop smiling."
    >
    > I suppose the reason that more bikers didn't rush right out to buy a Tour Easy after reading this
    > article was the sticker shock -- $1,680 with Super Zzipper fairing, in 1992 dollars.
    >
    > So . . . recumbents haven't always been ignored by Bicycling.
    >
    > Don Santa Cruz
    >

    > R2D2 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>Christopher Jor wrote:
    >>
    >>>www.recumbentcyclistnews.com[/url] ]www.bentrideronline.com[/url]
    >>>]www.recumbentandtandemrider.com
    >>

    >>Thanks for the info Chris

  13. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Paul Bruneau wrote:

    > Yes, he's [Jim Langley] the main guy at Bicycling who wrote some nice > things about recumbents.
    > The whole story is faded in my mind, but he > may have been the guy who dared to write the
    > impotence article. I > don't know if he's still there.

    Ed Pavelka was the former Bicycling editor who wrote about his experience with upright cycling
    related impotence and how he solved the problem by switching to a recumbent bicycle.

    Back in 1999, Bicycling's owner "cleaned house" by laying off the west coast (primarily road
    bicycling oriented) staff including Jim Langley and hired a new editor who oversaw the "dumbing
    down" of the magazine into "Buycycling".

    Jim Langley reviewed the Lightning R-84 in RCN #52 (June/July 1999) [1] and the Easy Racers TiGRR in
    RCN #54 (Oct./Nov. 1999) [2]. Mr. Langley is currently "employed at SmartEtailing, a company
    providing specialty retailers on-line tools that make it easy for them to create and manage an
    on-line business. We work with a lot of bicycle shops and I'm the bicycle content manager helping to
    run the editorial side of things, which includes all manner of cycling articles, product
    descriptions, tips and other content we're sure to dream up as new web information technologies
    offer new possibilities." [3]

    [1] < http://jimlangley.net/ride/lightning.html >
    [2] < http://jimlangley.net/ride/easyracers.html >
    [3] < http://jimlangley.net/aboutjim/aboutjim.html >