No recumbent section in "Bicycling" magazine buyer's guide!

Well at least Bicycling showed a recumbent in the issue prior to the buyers guide.

Bob Krzewinski

"R2D2" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Are we lower than dirt, or what?

According to Rodale press's web site Bicycling covers all aspects of cycling. As we all know
this is a slight exaggeration. IMO it doesn't much matter anymore what Bicycling covers. The
magazine only has a circulation of 280,000. Any information anyone needs about cycling can be
found on the internet.

**** Ryan

R2D2 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Are we lower than dirt, or what?
>
> :(

actually, I have about 8" of air THEN dirt. I fly up hills, found out yesterday I can lift the front
wheel on command, stop completely at stop signs/signals, but not being so competitive or "sports"
(racing) minded is rather boring. Recumbents seem to be a tool, which invite constant tweaking.

I am awaiting the Go One showing in San Jose, CA.- later in March. Being completely faired; I doubt
it will be under the soil level either!

Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

R2D2 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Originally posted by Hel-Bent Who needs Bicycle Magazine? We have RCN and BROL.
>
> Can you give me info or links to these? Thanks, R2

Off the top of my head:

www.recumbentcyclistnews.com www.bentrideronline.com www.recumbentandtandemrider.com

not to mention various lists and e-zines on the computer. So who needs Bicycling magazine for
bent content?

Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

Recently I came across a copy of Bicycling magazine's "1992 Buyer's Guide -- 931 New Bikes" (yes, I
said 1992). I knew I wouldn't find any mention of recumbents in a magazine that old, so was I
surprised to find that listed under the "Best Buys" section was a glowing, GLOWING report entitled
"Easy Racer, Tour Easy, A Cessna for the Pavement" by Jim Langley. I don't know who Jim Langley is,
but his article makes him sound like an early recumbent convert and a true believer. "Descending is
electrifying. Slippery as it is, this road rocket seems to accelerate endlessly. . . . It's such fun
I couldn't stop smiling."

I suppose the reason that more bikers didn't rush right out to buy a Tour Easy after reading this
article was the sticker shock -- $1,680 with Super Zzipper fairing, in 1992 dollars.

So . . . recumbents haven't always been ignored by Bicycling.

Don Santa Cruz

R2D2 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Christopher Jor wrote:
> >www.recumbentcyclistnews.com[/url] ]www.bentrideronline.com[/url]
> >]www.recumbentandtandemrider.com
>

> Thanks for the info Chris

In the past, I too have seen sections in the Buyer's Guide on recumbents. Do they just consider us that small of a market nowadays? Now that the novelty has worn off. :(

I remember first seeing a recumbent in the movie "Brainstorm." Christopher Walken was riding a LWB. :)

Originally posted by Don
Recently I came across a copy of Bicycling magazine's "1992 Buyer's Guide -- 931 New Bikes" (yes, I
said 1992). I knew I wouldn't find any mention of recumbents in a magazine that old, so was I
surprised to find that listed under the "Best Buys" section was a glowing, GLOWING report entitled
"Easy Racer, Tour Easy, A Cessna for the Pavement" by Jim Langley.

Yes, he's the main guy at Bicycling who wrote some nice things about recumbents. The whole story is
faded in my mind, but he may have been the guy who dared to write the impotence article. I don't
know if he's still there.

Paul Bruneau wrote:

> Yes, he's [Jim Langley] the main guy at Bicycling who wrote some nice > things about recumbents.
> The whole story is faded in my mind, but he > may have been the guy who dared to write the
> impotence article. I > don't know if he's still there.

Ed Pavelka was the former Bicycling editor who wrote about his experience with upright cycling
related impotence and how he solved the problem by switching to a recumbent bicycle.

Back in 1999, Bicycling's owner "cleaned house" by laying off the west coast (primarily road
bicycling oriented) staff including Jim Langley and hired a new editor who oversaw the "dumbing
down" of the magazine into "Buycycling".

Jim Langley reviewed the Lightning R-84 in RCN #52 (June/July 1999) [1] and the Easy Racers TiGRR in
RCN #54 (Oct./Nov. 1999) [2]. Mr. Langley is currently "employed at SmartEtailing, a company
providing specialty retailers on-line tools that make it easy for them to create and manage an
on-line business. We work with a lot of bicycle shops and I'm the bicycle content manager helping to
run the editorial side of things, which includes all manner of cycling articles, product
descriptions, tips and other content we're sure to dream up as new web information technologies
offer new possibilities." [3]

[1] < http://jimlangley.net/ride/lightning.html >
[2] < http://jimlangley.net/ride/easyracers.html >
[3] < http://jimlangley.net/aboutjim/aboutjim.html >