"No Refund" policy at ATA Cycles in MA

dmichael

Jul 16, 2003
Anyone ever hear of a no-refund policy at any bike shops large or small? - This was a shock to my system. I bought a pair of shoes at ATA Cycles in Cambridge, MA 2 days ago and decided that they did not fit me so well as when I tried them in the store. Much to my dismay, when I tried to return them, ATA informed of their no-refund policy?!?!? They did not mention this policy when I made my purchase, the policy is written on the sales slip, but that is too late, and they have a small sign posted, but again, you would not know unless you asked, and who would think to ask? I plan to dispute the charge with AMEX, but this seems totally unreal to return an item in perfect resalable condition with sales reciept and not get any satisfaction. How do they stay in business with such a ludicrous policy?

Please don't confuse their no-refund policy with a no exchange policy. They'd probably give you credit toward some other item if you ask.

There is no confusion here!

Yes of course, they have to give you store credit or exchange, isn't that obvious?, there are laws you know, but "no refund". I have wide feet, nothing they sell fits well enough. I have no need to buy any other gear for quite some time (I just finished stocking up and upgrading to the hilt).

Do you work for ATA?

I probably would have been a good customer of theirs down the road, but I feel like I have been taken advantage of.

Also, the salesman overcharged me! He said the shoes were 270 but he charged me 289, I used a coupon for 10% off, so I did not do the math in my head at the time of the sale, but when I got home I noticed it and let it go. Very sneaky.

What comes around goes around.

Surely if there's nothing wrong with the product then they have no obligation to take it back?
Basically you bought the wrong thing, it's not their fault, it's just a courtesy if they offer a refund without an actual defect.
Judging by your attitude towards Kokopuff, who was after all trying to help, maybe you could start looking at yourself for the problem, not everyone around you.

Actually, Massachusetts state law provides for consumer protection if a merchant wants to enforce a no-refund policy they are required to conspicuously post it and make sure the buyer understands the policy prior to purchase. In this case the shop did not meet these requirements. They posted their policy concealed within a message in a poster in one corner of the store and they did not make sure I understood the policy - thats the law. I have spoken to a lawyer and he thinks I have a claim and I would win in small claims court, but most likely it would not go that far, as AMEX would not allow them to charge me when they are in clear violation of the letter of the law.

I agree I have an attitude, for which there is no excuse. Surely, I would not have such an attitude if the shop did not engage in deceptive trade practices, which they clearly commited, when the sales clerk told me that the price of the shoes was $270, then charged my account $289. My fault for not checking the sales reciept. They also baited and switched me to a higher priced product than what I was inquiring about over the phone.

I apologize to Kokopuffs, clearly, its unfair of me to take out my anger on you.

If they don't at least offer to exchange the product, I would take them to small claims court if you are willing to take the time. It would be worth it to have them maybe change their store policy. I like Performance or Bike Nashbar. Excellent return policy. No wonder mail order is putting the hurt on small business. Good Luck. (I think you would easily win)

if you sell the shoes on ebay as 'new'..you should be able to recover about 80% of your money. sorry about your bad experience. just don't go there anymore..this is the best revenge.

Originally posted by dmichael
Anyone ever hear of a no-refund policy at any bike shops large or small? - This was a shock to my system. I bought a pair of shoes at ATA Cycles in Cambridge, MA 2 days ago and decided that they did not fit me so well as when I tried them in the store. Much to my dismay, when I tried to return them, ATA informed of their no-refund policy?!?!? They did not mention this policy when I made my purchase, the policy is written on the sales slip, but that is too late, and they have a small sign posted, but again, you would not know unless you asked, and who would think to ask? I plan to dispute the charge with AMEX, but this seems totally unreal to return an item in perfect resalable condition with sales reciept and not get any satisfaction. How do they stay in business with such a ludicrous policy?