No Religion Here

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by Hassaan, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Hassaan

Hassaan New Member

All the members please dont talk on religion here. And dont combine cycling with religion. Talking about religion is not that bad but this is not the right place to do it. Do people go to churches, mosques or temples to discuss about tour de france?
    This forum is for people who share a common interest i-e cycling,
    ragardless of ANY OTHER thing.
    Please do some healthy discussion and bring new ideas about cycling. Please be relevant.

Tags:

2. flyinghatchet

flyinghatchet New Member

People can talk about whatever they want here.

"Try to keep all the off-topics here please.

Graison

3. less'go

less'go New Member

You're surely right that people can talk about whatever they want, but I can understand where mixing religion into a forum about cycling might well make a lot of people uncomfortable because of the international political climate... religious differences cause a lot of conflict, to say the least.

This is an international forum far as I can tell, so it's nice to keep things open to all, no? Maybe a new folder for discussing cycling and spirituality would be a good way to keep things seperate?:)

4. Hunter

Hunter New Member

Yep I agree in America we can talk about whatever, whenever we want. Likewise it will be done whereever I want as well.

5. rabalter

rabalter New Member

Since we can talk or ask about anything here, just wondering if anyone here has a good chicken enchilada recipe?

6. less'go

less'go New Member

Actually, authentic Texas girl that I am, I have an awesome chicken enchiladas verdes recipe, but it's a little long to post here... go to eat.epicurious.com, and you can find any recipe you want.

Now, I'm wondering how many bike riding Tex-Mex eaters there are around here...?;)

Sara

7. rabalter

rabalter New Member

Thank you, Sara....

8. TooSore

TooSore New Member

What's a girl from Texas doing in France? I believe that you should conform to stereotype and remain in Texas talking about how big Texas is.

There I managed to type that without inflaming anyone's belief system at all. Unless they are a follower of "The church that does not believe in the gentle mocking of Texans". Apologies all round to all you serious Texans.

Yours in disbelief

9. rabalter

rabalter New Member

Sara-The best Texas Chili I ever had was a place in Austin. ( I went to the Univ of Texas) Very meaty and spicey....just loved it..
    ..I'm sure if I had the recipe now, it would help me become a faster bicycle rider..would you happen to have a recipe for some killer Texas Chili??? Wish I could remember the name of that Austin Tex-Mex restaurant.......

10. less'go

less'go New Member

"What's a girl from Texas doing in France? I believe that you should conform to stereotype and remain in Texas talking about how big Texas is. "

Well, big as Texas is, and as great a place to ride as the Hill Country is (I'm from Austin) , the world is just such a big and diverse place that I thought I ought to get around and check it out... been in France almost a decade and can't imagine going back to Texas to live there, although I go often to see the folks and I always enjoy it. Many things to love and many things to loath around there, but I guess I don't want to start that political debate, it's all been said before. Austin is a cool town though, should not be underrated...

"would you happen to have a recipe for some killer Texas Chili???"
    The best chili recipe I have (Mom's "secret") requires a little chili seasong kit called "Wick Fowler's" in the One-Alarm, Two-Alarm or No-Alarm versions (or very hot, hot and mild)... bet you can find it on the web... you mix that with your ground beef and tomato concentrate and presto! But, and here's what makes Texas chili singularly better than (!), say, Georgia chili, is this: DO NOT ADD BEANS, that is bad, that is a perversion, you can go to hell for that, I swear.

And Haassan, I imagine you'll have trouble finding Wick Fowler in your neck of the woods, but I'm sure you can have it sent Fedex! :)

11. JohnO

JohnO New Member

Absolutely - no beans! Just takes up room that's better occupied by beef. In the gastronomic world, Texas chili is without peer.

12. stevenaleach

stevenaleach New Member

So long as Ashcroft doesn't object, that is.

13. art_babe

art_babe New Member

Hee Hee

14. Vo2

Vo2 Member

I've been away awhile, so I apologise for the late "moderation".

Religious discussions do not belong here, not matter what the reason.
    If you feel the need to complain or moan about something religious, post it in the "Bloody Soap Box" forum, as long as it is not offensive. If you have nothing to say regarding religion there, then you have nothing to say anywhere else on this Bulletin Board. And I don't care if you are American or Martian.

The reason for this is simple. Religious and political discussions ALWAYS cause controversy, and unfortunately bring out the worst in people.
    There are many other sites that cater for that sort of discussion. Take it there.

15. rabalter

rabalter New Member

Can we discuss Texas chili and chicken enchilada recipes?

16. Hassaan

Hassaan New Member

Yes

17. percious

percious New Member

one has to ask themselves, if they don't want to read a thread about religion, why not just NOT read it? No one is forcing anyone here to read anything are they? I came here voluntarily, and I post voluntarily. If you don't like it, then don't read it.

I personally am not a big fan of religious zealots spreading their faith, but I think they should have the right to do so. Then again... I am a liberatarian.

-percious

18. Hassaan

Hassaan New Member

You see, unless you read the thread you dont even know what is it about? And when you have come to know that it is about religion, you have already read it! And then there is a good chance that you have felt discomfort or are hurt by certain degrees, for the obvious reasons. And this is what is not required, atleast on a Bicycle forum.

Of course, nobody aims at hurting anybody else here intentionally but it is a fact that most of the times religios discussions lead to wranglings and disputations and a bitter and unpleasant environment. So why not avoid such talk beforehand :)

19. percious

percious New Member

Usually the title will allude to the subject of the thread... and no one is making you go on this sight in the first place.

-percious

20. RossB

RossB New Member

I agree with Hassaan. I also feel find these threads in which people insist on advertising their religious views to be, at the very least uncomfortable, and at worst offensive. "Just don't read it" is not an acceptable response because, as Hassaan points out, you don't know what's in it until you read it, and the titles of threads can often be misleading. I also suspect we'd get a completely different reaction from other posters if people advertised their non-christian beliefs (although in my experience, it is only christians who insist on doing this).

As to the suggestion that "no one is making you go on this site" (note the spelling of "site"), that is just insulting and incorrect. No one is obliged to remove themselves from a forum on the off-chance that they might find something offensive on it.

This is not a question of censorship, but of appropriate behaviour. People should look at the nature of the forum and ask themselves whether what they're proposing to post is really appropriate for this forum. If someone posted a technical question about cars, for example, there is nothing to stop them from doing so, but they would probably be told - correctly - to take it to a more appropriate forum. It's the same with religion.

Personally, I agree with Hassaan. When I go to a cycling forum I want to discuss cycling, not be forced to listen to yet more proselytising from christians.

Ross