"No research into natural alternatives" -- Ha!

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by David Wright, Dec 16, 2003.

  1. David Wright

    David Wright Guest

    This is an excerpt from an article I just saw on sci.life-extension:

    Red wine is good for the lungs

    TARA WOMERSLEY HEALTH CORRESPONDENT

    http://www.thescotsman.co.uk/index.cfm?id=1188642003

    IT HAS already been lauded as lowering the risk of heart attacks, dementia and strokes.

    Now red-wine lovers have another excuse to enjoy their favourite tipple after new research
    found its properties could be used to treat patients suffering from serious lung disease.

    Scientists have isolated a substance called resveratrol, a natural plant oestrogen found in
    red wine that could have a dramatic influence on patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary
    disease (COPD).

    Researchers at the National Heart and Lung Institute, based at Imperial College London,
    discovered that this polyphenol antioxidant compound, found in the skins of red fruits
    like grapes, seemed to "dampen down" the inflammatory process in the disease, which
    damages lung tissue.

    I thought it'd be fun to sneer at those who claim there's never any research into natural
    alternatives.

    -- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net These are my opinions only, but they're almost always
    correct. "If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my
    shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

    Tags:

  2. Jan

    Jan Guest

    >From: [email protected] (David Wright)
    >Date: 10/27/2003 5:47 PM Pacific Standard Time

    >I thought it'd be fun to sneer

    Pitiful way to have fun. Most outgrow that around age 18.

    Jan

  3. Bl 1204

    Bl 1204 Guest

    Generally these studies are not done in the USA, originally at least. It's too bad-- but careers in
    academic medicine here are based on the ability to get big grant money from pharmaceutical
    companies.

    It is a rare researcher in the US that is able to do serious studies on natural alternatives in an
    academic setting. For the most part, they are risking their careers.

    Of course, there are exceptions to this-- just too rare.

    BL

    "As the waves pass the rock, their shape is changed. There is a hologram of the rock within the wave
    that comes forward and crashes on the beach, then there's a reflected wave back." Ralph Abraham

    "I'd like to learn to windsurf." BL