"No research into natural alternatives" -- Ha!

D

David Wright

This is an excerpt from an article I just saw on sci.life-extension:

Red wine is good for the lungs

TARA WOMERSLEY HEALTH CORRESPONDENT

http://www.thescotsman.co.uk/index.cfm?id=1188642003

IT HAS already been lauded as lowering the risk of heart attacks, dementia and strokes.

Now red-wine lovers have another excuse to enjoy their favourite tipple after new research
found its properties could be used to treat patients suffering from serious lung disease.

Scientists have isolated a substance called resveratrol, a natural plant oestrogen found in
red wine that could have a dramatic influence on patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary
disease (COPD).

Researchers at the National Heart and Lung Institute, based at Imperial College London,
discovered that this polyphenol antioxidant compound, found in the skins of red fruits
like grapes, seemed to "dampen down" the inflammatory process in the disease, which
damages lung tissue.

I thought it'd be fun to sneer at those who claim there's never any research into natural
alternatives.

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net These are my opinions only, but they're almost always
correct. "If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my
shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

Generally these studies are not done in the USA, originally at least. It's too bad-- but careers in
academic medicine here are based on the ability to get big grant money from pharmaceutical
companies.

It is a rare researcher in the US that is able to do serious studies on natural alternatives in an
academic setting. For the most part, they are risking their careers.

Of course, there are exceptions to this-- just too rare.

BL

"As the waves pass the rock, their shape is changed. There is a hologram of the rock within the wave
that comes forward and crashes on the beach, then there's a reflected wave back." Ralph Abraham

"I'd like to learn to windsurf." BL