No-seat segway-style police tricycles?



A

A Muzi

Guest
R

Ryan Cousineau

Guest
In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] wrote:

> No-seat segway-style police tricycles?
> http://www.veoh.com/videos/v8733726p68KcyTj&source=embedVideo
>
> What's the advantage (real or imagined) of these odd beasts?


I can't imagine...they're clearly meant to allow a "foot" patrol to
cover more ground faster than is reasonable on foot, but I thought the
long-running solution to that was bicycles.

--
Ryan Cousineau [email protected] http://www.wiredcola.com/
"In other newsgroups, they killfile trolls."
"In rec.bicycles.racing, we coach them."
 
On May 7, 12:29 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > No-seat segway-style police tricycles?
> >  http://www.veoh.com/videos/v8733726p68KcyTj&source=embedVideo
> > What's the advantage (real or imagined) of these odd beasts?

>
> huh.
> You'd think a Crown Victoria would be better for purposes of donuts and
> Playboy. Whatever.
>
> Hey!  How do you toss a handcuffed guy headfirst into a Segway?


You don't need to. Cuff a perp to a Segway for an
hour, and if he doesn't die of embarrassment, he'll
still be so scarred he'll walk the straight and narrow
from now on.

Ben
 
W

Werehatrack

Guest
On Wed, 07 May 2008 13:20:09 -0600, [email protected] may have
said:

>No-seat segway-style police tricycles?
> http://www.veoh.com/videos/v8733726p68KcyTj&source=embedVideo
>
>What's the advantage (real or imagined) of these odd beasts?


Stable with the power off, unlike a Segway.
No dismount delay (no need to swing a leg over) unlike a bicycle.
No fitness issue, unlike a bicycle.
No sweaty officers to offend the sensibilities of the easily annoyed.
Probably very maneuverable.

I get the feeling that this was shot in France. If so, what reason
would they truly need other than "They're French, therefore we will
use them!"

Had this been in a US city, I would cynically posit that the most
crucial benefits were twofold; first, a well-connected individual or
company made a tidy profit selling the vehicles to the police
department to begin with, and a second sale will be made later of
something else to replace them, possibly by the same well-connected
seller, when these prove to be less useful than anticipated.

--
My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
Typoes are not a bug, they're a feature.
Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.
 
S

Sandy

Guest
Dans le message de news:[email protected],
Werehatrack <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
> On Wed, 07 May 2008 13:20:09 -0600, [email protected] may have
> said:
>
>> No-seat segway-style police tricycles?
>> http://www.veoh.com/videos/v8733726p68KcyTj&source=embedVideo
>>
>> What's the advantage (real or imagined) of these odd beasts?


> I get the feeling that this was shot in France. If so, what reason
> would they truly need other than "They're French, therefore we will
> use them!"


With the vehicles shown. beginning with 2 extra long SUV types, clearly US
origin, how did you come to this conclusion? Given that rollers, bikes and
horses are popular transport modes for FR cops, maybe you had an overdose of
Freedom Fries?
 
On Fri, 09 May 2008 11:43:24 -0600, Werehatrack
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Wed, 07 May 2008 13:20:09 -0600, [email protected] may have
>said:
>
>>No-seat segway-style police tricycles?
>> http://www.veoh.com/videos/v8733726p68KcyTj&source=embedVideo
>>
>>What's the advantage (real or imagined) of these odd beasts?

>
>Stable with the power off, unlike a Segway.
>No dismount delay (no need to swing a leg over) unlike a bicycle.
>No fitness issue, unlike a bicycle.
>No sweaty officers to offend the sensibilities of the easily annoyed.
>Probably very maneuverable.
>
>I get the feeling that this was shot in France. If so, what reason
>would they truly need other than "They're French, therefore we will
>use them!"
>
>Had this been in a US city, I would cynically posit that the most
>crucial benefits were twofold; first, a well-connected individual or
>company made a tidy profit selling the vehicles to the police
>department to begin with, and a second sale will be made later of
>something else to replace them, possibly by the same well-connected
>seller, when these prove to be less useful than anticipated.


Dear Werehatrack,

The tricycle segways do look a bit French, as Wodehouse sometimes
remarked.

But (alas for Francophobes!) the video was shot by James Lileks in
Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota:

"Today I went downtown to shoot photos for buzz.mn – mostly to see
what it was like on the first good warm spring day in the city. It was
as I expected: some office workers walking around, some people waiting
for a bus, a smattering of bummage, and cops on their spiffy new
patrol trikes."
http://www.lileks.com/bleats/archive/08/0508/050708.html

I do like your points about stability when parked, no
leg-over-top-tube, no fitness needed, and maneuverability.

Maybe I'd understand the attraction better if I had to carry all the
stuff that cops hang on their belts and stuff a kevlar vest under my
shirt.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
 
A

Andrew Price

Guest
On Fri, 09 May 2008 11:43:24 -0600, Werehatrack
<[email protected]> wrote:

[---]

>I get the feeling that this was shot in France.


No - vehicles, uniforms, street fittings and architecture don't match.
 
W

Werehatrack

Guest
On Fri, 9 May 2008 14:17:43 -0400, "Sandy" <[email protected]> may have
said:

>Dans le message de news:[email protected],
>Werehatrack <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
>> On Wed, 07 May 2008 13:20:09 -0600, [email protected] may have
>> said:
>>
>>> No-seat segway-style police tricycles?
>>> http://www.veoh.com/videos/v8733726p68KcyTj&source=embedVideo
>>>
>>> What's the advantage (real or imagined) of these odd beasts?

>
>> I get the feeling that this was shot in France. If so, what reason
>> would they truly need other than "They're French, therefore we will
>> use them!"

>
>With the vehicles shown. beginning with 2 extra long SUV types, clearly US
>origin, how did you come to this conclusion?


Too quick of a scan, mostly...and the trikes looked like the kind of
thing that the French are more willing to try than some others.
Someone pointed out that this was actually in the Minneapolis area,
which is not as surprising as it would have been if the locale had
been Dallas, where no one in their right minds would want an open-air
vehicle for much of the year, or Miami, where the entire idea would
just be ludicrous.

>Given that rollers, bikes and
>horses are popular transport modes for FR cops, maybe you had an overdose of
>Freedom Fries?
>



--
My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
Typoes are not a bug, they're a feature.
Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.