No shower at work!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Steve Vallee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Baby wipes? You'll smell like you just changed your diaper. I'd get some kind of wipes that smell
> different, or rinse out the baby wipes, then soak them in alcohol in a zip loc bag.
>
Old Spice Cool Contact wipes are tailor made for the commuting cyclist. No baby wipe smell, plus
they smell pretty nice.....

I first cool down for a 1/2 hour reading email, then go into the bathroom and do a quick little
sponge bath while changing clothes, usually just washing under my arms. Then I use deodorant.

Interesting enough, Albuquerque almost passed a law requiring all new businesses with buildings over
20,000 square feet to have a shower installed for those who bike commute. The bill passed the city
council, but the mayor vetoed it.

Brian

"brian hughes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
t...

> I first cool down for a 1/2 hour reading email, then go
into the bathroom
> and do a quick little sponge bath while changing clothes,
usually just
> washing under my arms. Then I use deodorant.
>
> Interesting enough, Albuquerque almost passed a law
requiring all new
> businesses with buildings over 20,000 square feet to have
a shower installed
> for those who bike commute. The bill passed the city
council, but the mayor
> vetoed it.

What an asshole.

If you're going to install toilets and sinks anyway, adding a shower hardly costs anything. And in
the overall scheme of what a 20,000 square foot commercial building is worth, it's negligeable. What
paint color you choose, or a couple of medium sized Levelor blinds would make more difference.

You can forward this message to him if you like. That way I don't have to call him an asshole
behind his back.

Matt O.

"Frank Krygowski" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> I once, briefly, had a problem with this. I spoke to my doctor. He pointed me toward some
> anti-bacterial soap, I used it as directed (and, as directed, replaced all undershirts with new
> ones to prevent re-colonization) and the problem went away.

Where do you get your new bacteria from though?

Perhaps need some intimate contact with someone who doesn't smell too bad.

"Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "brian hughes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> t...

> >
> > Interesting enough, Albuquerque almost passed a law
> requiring all new
> > businesses with buildings over 20,000 square feet to have
> a shower installed
> > for those who bike commute. The bill passed the city
> council, but the mayor
> > vetoed it.
>
> What an asshole.
>
> If you're going to install toilets and sinks anyway, adding a shower hardly costs anything. And in
> the overall scheme of what a 20,000 square foot commercial building is worth, it's negligeable.
> What paint color you choose, or a couple of medium sized Levelor blinds would make more
> difference.
>

Yep, here is the history of the bicycle shower/facility bill:

In summer of 2001 the new Bicycle/Pedestrian planner for the City of Albuquerque, Jim Arrowsmith,
took the lead on developing the End-of-Trip Facilities Amendment. He worked with a committe of
interested cyclists and others. There was an awareness that the proposal must address some of the
concerns of the Development Community which felt burdened by these new requirements.

May 16th, 2002 - Environmental Planning Commission voted 5 to 1 to approve the Bicycle End-of-Trip
Facilities Zoning Code amendment. Some developers find the new requirements burdensome. The
committee worked to address these concerns while still maintaining certain requirements.

Some builders, developers and realtors are opposed to these changes, because they require large
buildings to add new facilities. However, these groups do not seem concerned about analogous
requirements for car parking spaces, which generally cost more than bike racks and showers. For
example, the 600-space parking structure built Downtown last year or the year before cost about $6
million, which is $10,000 per parking space.

April 9, 2003 Albuquerque Mayor Martin Chávez vetoed an ordinance that would have required showers,
locker storage and secured bicycle parking in some new commercial buildings to encourage biking as a
form of commuting to work. (4/10).

[email protected] (KRasmus572) wrote in message
> I want to start riding my bike to work.
>
> 12,5 miles each way.
>
> There is no shower at work.
>
> Any one in a simular situation?
>
> How do you "freshen up", baby wipes, washcloth in sink...?
>
> Thanks in advance for all replies.

Some have suggested you don't need to sweat, but I don't think that's very practical if you want to
make decent time on your long commute, and especially if its uphill to work. There's really two
good options:

1. Join a gym close to where you work. Go there to shower and change.
2. (what I do) Bring a backpack (or panniers) to work of work clothes and spare riding clothes.
Bring a bottle of deodorant. Change in the washroom and use damp paper towels to clean up a bit,
or bring a washcloth instead. Where I work there's a handicapped stall in the washroom which has
its own sink and mirror in the stall which is convenient to use. I bring the spare riding clothes
because its unpleasant to go home at the end of the day in the wet clothes that have been sitting
in the backpack from the morning ride :)

Tanya

"Tanya Quinn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (KRasmus572) wrote in message
> > I want to start riding my bike to work.
> >
> > 12,5 miles each way.
> >
> > There is no shower at work.
> >
> > Any one in a simular situation?
> >
> > How do you "freshen up", baby wipes, washcloth in sink...?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for all replies.
>
> Some have suggested you don't need to sweat, but I don't think that's very practical if you want
> to make decent time on your long commute, and especially if its uphill to work. There's really two
> good options:
>
> 1. Join a gym close to where you work. Go there to shower and change.
> 2. (what I do) Bring a backpack (or panniers) to work of work clothes and spare riding clothes.
> Bring a bottle of deodorant. Change in the washroom and use damp paper towels to clean up a
> bit, or bring a washcloth instead. Where I work there's a handicapped stall in the washroom
> which has its own sink and mirror in the stall which is convenient to use. I bring the spare
> riding clothes because its unpleasant to go home at the end of the day in the wet clothes that
> have been sitting in the backpack from the morning ride :)
>
> Tanya

About the only thing worse than putting on a sweaty helmet is a pair of sweaty shorts. Eeeuw, yuck!

Mike

"Frank Krygowski" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

<snip>

> I once, briefly, had a problem with this. I spoke to my doctor. He pointed me toward some
> anti-bacterial soap, I used it as directed (and, as directed, replaced all undershirts with new
> ones to prevent re-colonization) and the problem went away.
>
> Listerine antiseptic also does the same trick.

This is something I had not considered. I suppose always washing my riding shirts (usually a
t-shirt) and my undershirts in hot water (and bleach in the case of the undershirts and white
t-shirts) helps eliminate the bacteria that cause smells.

-Buck

Buck wrote:

> "KRasmus572" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > How do you "freshen up", baby wipes, washcloth in sink...?
>
> I don't know what is wrong with these folks. I live in an area that is as hot and humid as it gets
> in the summer and I never have to shower after my ride in, despite being dripping wet. Maybe it is
> because all I drink on those rides is water. It's not like you will be losing a ton of
> electrolytes in an hour-long ride. I'd just get to my destination, sit in front of a fan to cool
> off for ten minutes, then change my clothes and get to work! Just so you know that it isn't my
> lacking of a sense of smell - I work with a number of women who have commented that they can't
> understand how I can come in all sweaty and not smell bad all day!
>
> Watch what you drink in the morning, take the time to cool down and you should be fine. The smell
> is caused by bacterial growth. If your clothes are clean, your body is clean, and there aren't a
> lot of nutrients in your sweat for bacteria to feed on, you should be odor-free for the day.
>
> -Buck

My point exactly! Been doing this thing for a few years now, no problem. Biggest sweaty thing issue
is bringing fresh socks often enough (for the work shift)!! Bernie

W K wrote:

> "Frank Krygowski" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> > I once, briefly, had a problem with this. I spoke to my doctor. He pointed me toward some
> > anti-bacterial soap, I used it as directed (and, as directed, replaced all undershirts with new
> > ones to prevent re-colonization) and the problem went away.
>
> Where do you get your new bacteria from though?
>
> Perhaps need some intimate contact with someone who doesn't smell too bad.

You Gypsy Savage!!

"bandjhughes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> In summer of 2001 the new Bicycle/Pedestrian planner for the City of Albuquerque, Jim Arrowsmith,
> took the lead on developing the End-of-Trip Facilities Amendment. He worked with a committe of
> interested cyclists and others. ... May 16th, 2002 - Environmental Planning Commission voted 5 to
> 1 to approve the Bicycle End-of-Trip Facilities Zoning Code amendment.
> [Opposing] groups do not seem concerned about analogous requirements for car parking spaces, which
> generally cost more than bike racks and showers.

It probably would help not to think of showers [and lockers] as a bicycling issue. Showers are nice
for joggers. There are a lot of people who would like to jog on their lunch hour. Showers are nice
if there are aerobics classes at work, or nearby. Showers are nice for sales people who've worked
all day, but have to take clients out in the evening. Often they like to freshen up a bit. Or,
type-A executives who end up on the red eye from the coast and then have to come in to work. [Or,
the couple having an affair after work who need to freshen up before they go home to their spouses.]

The point is, you can probably get a fairly large group of people to acknowledge that they might
like to have a shower available for these kinds of things.

While I and others have listed alternatives to showers that work, having a shower is not the answer
either. Our building has two showers and several hundred people some of whom wear uniforms. Being
able to the shower for x number seconds/minutes anytime of the day can be nearly impossible. I used
to come in early to use the shower but then that became onerous adding an over-all extra hour to
your day just to shower at work. And as was pointed by legislation, the key word is new or renovated
buildings brought up to code must provide showers!

brian hughes wrote:
>
> I first cool down for a 1/2 hour reading email, then go into the bathroom and do a quick little
> sponge bath while changing clothes, usually just washing under my arms. Then I use deodorant.
>
> Interesting enough, Albuquerque almost passed a law requiring all new businesses with buildings
> over 20,000 square feet to have a shower installed for those who bike commute. The bill passed the
> city council, but the mayor vetoed it.
>
> Brian

"drifter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> While I and others have listed alternatives to showers
that work, having
> a shower is not the answer either. Our building has two
showers and
> several hundred people some of whom wear uniforms. Being
able to the
> shower for x number seconds/minutes anytime of the day can
be nearly
> impossible. I used to come in early to use the shower but
then that
> became onerous adding an over-all extra hour to your day
just to shower
> at work. And as was pointed by legislation, the key word
is
> new or renovated buildings brought up to code must provide
showers!

Is there a health club nearby where you can shower? Memberships usually aren't expensive -- probably
still less than what gas would cost for you to drive to work.

Matt O.

Status
Not open for further replies.