No shower at work!!!

Krasmus572

Guest
I want to start riding my bike to work.

12,5 miles each way.

There is no shower at work.

Any one in a simular situation?

How do you "freshen up", baby wipes, washcloth in sink...?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

"KRasmus572" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I want to start riding my bike to work.
>
> 12,5 miles each way.
>
> There is no shower at work.
>
> Any one in a simular situation?
>
> How do you "freshen up", baby wipes, washcloth in sink...?
>
> Thanks in advance for all replies.

Yup, both, either. Dr. Bronners in the sink worked very well for me when I was riding back and forth
to work without a shower.

If you go easy enough, you shouldn't really need a shower. Save the hard ride for the trip home! Use
the trip in to relax, enjoy yourself, get motivated, etc. I was a much happier after riding to work.

Mike

"KRasmus572" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I want to start riding my bike to work.
>
> 12,5 miles each way.
>
> There is no shower at work.
>
> Any one in a simular situation?
>
> How do you "freshen up", baby wipes, washcloth in sink...?
>
> Thanks in advance for all replies.

I have a 20 mile commute in hot, humid Florida. My businessplace also has no shower, so I had to
find something or stink all day. Immediately after I arrive, I strip off my bike clothes in the
bathroom and towel off. I then use Old Spice Cool Contact cloths to freshen up. I wear my hair in a
buzzcut, so I don't have that to worry about. As long as you clean up ASAP you really don't have a
problem, IMHO.

"KRasmus572" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I want to start riding my bike to work.
>
> 12,5 miles each way.
>
> There is no shower at work.
>
> Any one in a simular situation?
>
> How do you "freshen up", baby wipes, washcloth in sink...?
>
> Thanks in advance for all replies.

Shower at home before you leave. Cool down as you approach destination and/or after arrival. Baby
wipes work very well; I also use rubbing alcohol sometimes, which is very refreshing. Key is to be
done sweating before you dress in your work clothes.

There *is* a shower where I work. I've never needed to use it.

RichC

KRasmus572 wrote:

> I want to start riding my bike to work.
>
> 12,5 miles each way.
>
> There is no shower at work.
>
> Any one in a simular situation?
>
> How do you "freshen up", baby wipes, washcloth in sink...?
>
> Thanks in advance for all replies.

You're only going to really stink if you do not bathe regularly. If you start your day with a
shower, your sweat won't have time to stink. You're only going to be there for 8 or 9 hours
(hopefully). I change in the washroom, do a rubdown with a smallish handtowel, get dressed and get
to my work. A wash and wear haircut is perfectly suited to this kind of lifestyle. Bring a change of
clothes a couple of times a week (depending on real world demands...) and you are good. Spring has
sprung, enjoy the ride!
:)
Best regards, Bernie

Exactly the reason why I'm looking at electric motors for my bike. I found a good one:
http://www.allwebscooters.com/ebike_kit.asp

However, it's very expensive ~$400!

-Steve

"Bernie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> You're only going to really stink if you do not bathe
regularly. If you
> start your day with a shower, your sweat won't have time
to stink.
> You're only going to be there for 8 or 9 hours
(hopefully).

I agree with this. Simple sweat, which dries off leaving nothing but salt, really doesn't make you
smell. If you start out clean you won't have a problem.

As someone else mentioned, rubbing alcohol is great for cleaning up -- it kills germs that could
cause odors. It does tend to dry out the skin, though. I've used it a lot on
climbing/camping/sailing trips, when it's not possible to bathe for several days.

Just allow yourself enough time to cool down and stop sweating -- this can take awhile in hot, humid
climates, especially after a hard ride -- sometimes 15 minutes or more. Then wipe down with baby
wipes or alcohol, and you're good to go.

Matt O.

[email protected] (KRasmus572) wrote in news:[email protected]:

> I want to start riding my bike to work.
>
> 12,5 miles each way.
>
> There is no shower at work.
>
> Any one in a simular situation?
>
> How do you "freshen up", baby wipes, washcloth in sink...?
>
> Thanks in advance for all replies.

I don't have a shower at work, either. I shower every morning at home. When I get to work, I make
sure I cool down, first - maybe sit and read my email and do a couple other tasks, for about 1/2
hour (I get in at
5:30am, so no one else is around). Then, I change, and use Old Spice Cool Contact wipes to freshen
up those sweaty areas. A little more deoderant, and a quick once-over with a brush and some hair
spray for my helmet-hair, and I'm good to go!

Good luck, and keep riding!!!

--
Smile!!

__O _-\ <,_ Eric Babula (_) / (_) Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Good old hillbilly bath: wash yourself with a wash cloth, bar of soap, and a sink.

--
Robin Hubert <[email protected]>

"KRasmus572" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I want to start riding my bike to work.
>
> 12,5 miles each way.
>
> There is no shower at work.
>
> Any one in a simular situation?
>
> How do you "freshen up", baby wipes, washcloth in sink...?
>
> Thanks in advance for all replies.

Baby wipes? You'll smell like you just changed your diaper. I'd get some kind of wipes that smell
different, or rinse out the baby wipes, then soak them in alcohol in a zip loc bag.

"Steve Vallee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Baby wipes? You'll smell like you just changed your diaper. I'd get some kind of wipes that smell
> different, or rinse out the baby wipes, then soak them in alcohol in a zip loc bag.

Spoken like somebody who doesn't hesitate to have an opinion about something he knows nothing about.

You buy the unscented ones.

RichC

"KRasmus572" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> How do you "freshen up", baby wipes, washcloth in sink...?

I don't know what is wrong with these folks. I live in an area that is as hot and humid as it gets
in the summer and I never have to shower after my ride in, despite being dripping wet. Maybe it is
because all I drink on those rides is water. It's not like you will be losing a ton of electrolytes
in an hour-long ride. I'd just get to my destination, sit in front of a fan to cool off for ten
minutes, then change my clothes and get to work! Just so you know that it isn't my lacking of a
sense of smell - I work with a number of women who have commented that they can't understand how I
can come in all sweaty and not smell bad all day!

Watch what you drink in the morning, take the time to cool down and you should be fine. The smell is
caused by bacterial growth. If your clothes are clean, your body is clean, and there aren't a lot of
nutrients in your sweat for bacteria to feed on, you should be odor-free for the day.

-Buck

In article <[email protected]>, "Buck" <j u n k m a i l @ g a l a x y c o r p . c o
m> says...

> Watch what you drink in the morning, take the time to cool down and you should be fine. The smell
> is caused by bacterial growth. If your clothes are clean, your body is clean, and there aren't a
> lot of nutrients in your sweat for bacteria to feed on, you should be odor-free for the day.

People vary enormously in this; some stink within a few hours after coming out of the shower just
sitting in front of the TV, others can sweat like a pig, and don't stink at all. You are obviously
one of the latter. I'm somewhere in between; if I let the sweat dry instead of wiping it off, I get
a little smelly, but generally not enough to gross everyone out. Clean clothes are vital, though, as
you point out.

it's morning".

>I want to start riding my bike to work.
>
>12,5 miles each way.
>
>There is no shower at work.
>
>Any one in a simular situation?
>
>How do you "freshen up", baby wipes, washcloth in sink...?

I have a really short commute, but when I did longer rides I would just freshen up in the bathroom
sink. Bring a couple of towels and you can wash and rinse yourself off. It's not a shower, but it is
pretty close. You can keep a bar of soap and deodorant in your desk.
-----------------
Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

"Rich Clark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Steve Vallee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Baby wipes? You'll smell like you just changed your diaper. I'd get some kind of wipes that
> > smell different, or rinse out the baby wipes, then soak them in alcohol in a zip loc bag.
>
> Spoken like somebody who doesn't hesitate to have an opinion about something he knows
> nothing about.
>
> You buy the unscented ones.
>
> RichC

Spoken like somebody who thinks he knows everything. I've had several years of experience with baby
wipes. I've had to use them in a pinch to clean my own hands/arms after fixing the car AND changing
diapers. All I know is that my hands smell a bit too "baby fresh" after using them.

You go right ahead and bathe with the wipes, Baby Huey.

SV

archer wrote:

> > Watch what you drink in the morning, take the time to cool down and you should be fine. The
> > smell is caused by bacterial growth. If your clothes are clean, your body is clean, and there
> > aren't a lot of nutrients in your sweat for bacteria to feed on, you should be odor-free for
> > the day.
>
> People vary enormously in this; some stink within a few hours after coming out of the shower just
> sitting in front of the TV, others can sweat like a pig, and don't stink at all. You are obviously
> one of the latter. I'm somewhere in between; if I let the sweat dry instead of wiping it off, I
> get a little smelly, but generally not enough to gross everyone out. Clean clothes are vital,
> though, as you point out.

People vary enormously in this, because people vary enormously in the strains of bacteria living on
their bodies.

I once, briefly, had a problem with this. I spoke to my doctor. He pointed me toward some
anti-bacterial soap, I used it as directed (and, as directed, replaced all undershirts with new ones
to prevent re-colonization) and the problem went away.

Listerine antiseptic also does the same trick.

--
Frank Krygowski [email protected]

> > People vary enormously in this; some stink within a few hours after coming out of the shower
> > just sitting in front of the TV, others can sweat like a pig, and don't stink at all. You are
> > obviously one of the latter. I'm somewhere in between; if I let the sweat dry instead of wiping
> > it off, I get a little smelly, but generally not enough to gross everyone out. Clean clothes are
> > vital, though, as you point out.
>
> People vary enormously in this, because people vary enormously in the strains of bacteria living
> on their bodies.
>
> I once, briefly, had a problem with this. I spoke to my doctor. He pointed me toward some
> anti-bacterial soap, I used it as directed (and, as directed, replaced all undershirts with new
> ones to prevent re-colonization) and the problem went away.
>
> Listerine antiseptic also does the same trick.

That's a new one on me!

it's morning".

"Steve V" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Rich Clark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Steve Vallee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > Baby wipes? You'll smell like you just changed your diaper. I'd get
some
> > > kind of wipes that smell different, or rinse out the baby wipes, then
soak
> > > them in alcohol in a zip loc bag.
> >
> > Spoken like somebody who doesn't hesitate to have an opinion about
something
> > he knows nothing about.
> >
> > You buy the unscented ones.
> >
> > RichC
>

> Spoken like somebody who thinks he knows everything. I've had several years of experience with
> baby wipes. I've had to use them in a pinch to clean my own hands/arms after fixing the car AND
> changing diapers. All I know is that my hands smell a bit too "baby fresh" after using them.

If your hands smell after using unscented wipes, it's not the wipes.

RichC