No Stage wins for Lance this year?

trg

Guest
He'll have to go all out at St Etienne if he wants to get one.

For the history guys, which Tour winners have won without any stage wins
(Benjo?).

On 07/17/2005 05:30 AM, in article [email protected],
"trg" <[email protected]> wrote:

> He'll have to go all out at St Etienne if he wants to get one.
>
> For the history guys, which Tour winners have won without any stage wins
> (Benjo?).

Greg LeMond = 1990
Roger Walkowiak = 1956

Are there more?

--
Steven L. Sheffield
stevens at veloworks dot com

"Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BEFFA51D.22D71%[email protected]...
> On 07/17/2005 05:30 AM, in article [email protected],
> "trg" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> He'll have to go all out at St Etienne if he wants to get one.
>>
>> For the history guys, which Tour winners have won without any stage wins
>> (Benjo?).

> Greg LeMond = 1990
> Roger Walkowiak = 1956

Firmin Lambot 1922
Lucien Aimar 1966
Gastone Nencini 1960

Benjo

With McEwen getting an egg for the stage he nudged Stuey, and Boonen out,
there's also the chance of having the green jersey not having had a stage
win either. Has that ever happened?

trg wrote:

> With McEwen getting an egg for the stage he nudged Stuey, and Boonen out,
> there's also the chance of having the green jersey not having had a stage
> win either. Has that ever happened?

Zabel got the green jersey in 1998 and 1999 without a stage win, at
least if the data base an www.letour.com is right about that.

--

Martin Honnen

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 14:20:14 +0000, [email protected] wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 13:30:08 +0200, "trg"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>He'll have to go all out at St Etienne if he wants to get one.

>Doubt he cares at this point in his career.

I think the strategy was aimed at the fact that he's aging- get into
yellow early, finish high enough to keep yellow in case you don't win
a stage. He's not quite the presence he's been in previous years- i
don't mean in terms of how good or whatever, but he's not even as
interesting to watch. I don't think he cares that much this time
around.

On another note, I think it's kind of interesting that Lance doesn't
like heat. He's from Texas, you figure he'd be used to it. ANd yet
Jan, who's redheaded and freckled and from east germany, loves the
heat. Go figure. I once remember Stuart Ogrady saying how he loves bad
weather at paris roubaix, and yet he comes from a part of the world
where it's sunny and almost never rains! OTOH maybe that's
WHY...personally I like the heat but lately it's been so sticky when
you ride it's like trying to breathe through a straw!

trg wrote:

> He'll have to go all out at St Etienne if he wants to get one.
>
> For the history guys, which Tour winners have won without any stage wins
> (Benjo?).

Could happen. His only remaining chance is the ITT. But he has to be
the favorite.

"gwhite" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
[email protected]...

> trg wrote:
>>
>> He'll have to go all out at St Etienne if he wants to get one.
>>
>> For the history guys, which Tour winners have won without any stage wins
>> (Benjo?).

> Could happen. His only remaining chance is the ITT. But he has to be
> the favorite.

Should be a good TT. Lance's last chance to "s'exprimer" as a professional
racer. Nothing to lose, able to let it all hang out. Ullrich, who won on the
same course in 1997, working to save some face and move into 2nd in the GC.
Basso, trying to hold on to his 2nd place.

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 18:24:58 +0200, trg wrote:
> Basso, trying to hold on to his 2nd place.

Armstrong catching him could help that.

--
Firefox Browser - Rediscover the web - http://getffox.com/

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 11:25:25 -0400, [email protected] wrote:

>I think the strategy was aimed at the fact that he's aging- get into
>yellow early, finish high enough to keep yellow in case you don't win
>a stage.

You win the TdF by putting time on your main rivals.
Beating a Valverde or a Rasmussen for the stage win is meaningless.

Sometimes his cocky racer persona makes a brief appearance, but less
and less as he has matured over the years.

Actually I think he has gotten paranoid with age. He is now too afraid of
attacking too far out in fear of blowing up and loosing the jersey. If he was a
couple of minutes closer on the final climb, he may of attacked for one of 2
reasons, get GH the win or go for it himself...

[email protected] wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 14:20:14 +0000, [email protected] wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 13:30:08 +0200, "trg"
>><[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>He'll have to go all out at St Etienne if he wants to get one.

>>Doubt he cares at this point in his career.

>I think the strategy was aimed at the fact that he's aging- get into
>yellow early, finish high enough to keep yellow in case you don't win
>a stage. He's not quite the presence he's been in previous years- i
>don't mean in terms of how good or whatever, but he's not even as
>interesting to watch. I don't think he cares that much this time
>around.
>
>On another note, I think it's kind of interesting that Lance doesn't
>like heat. He's from Texas, you figure he'd be used to it. ANd yet
>Jan, who's redheaded and freckled and from east germany, loves the
>heat. Go figure. I once remember Stuart Ogrady saying how he loves bad
>weather at paris roubaix, and yet he comes from a part of the world
>where it's sunny and almost never rains! OTOH maybe that's
>WHY...personally I like the heat but lately it's been so sticky when
>you ride it's like trying to breathe through a straw!

"benjo maso" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:BEFFA51D.22D71%[email protected]...
>> On 07/17/2005 05:30 AM, in article
>> [email protected],
>> "trg" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> He'll have to go all out at St Etienne if he wants to get one.
>>>
>>> For the history guys, which Tour winners have won without any stage wins
>>> (Benjo?).

>> Greg LeMond = 1990
>> Roger Walkowiak = 1956

> Firmin Lambot 1922
> Lucien Aimar 1966
> Gastone Nencini 1960

Lance won the TTT.

On 07/17/2005 06:58 PM, in article
[email protected], "Tom Kunich"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "benjo maso" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:BEFFA51D.22D71%[email protected]...
>>> On 07/17/2005 05:30 AM, in article
>>> [email protected],

>>> Greg LeMond = 1990
>>> Roger Walkowiak = 1956

>> Firmin Lambot 1922
>> Lucien Aimar 1966
>> Gastone Nencini 1960

> Lance won the TTT.

TTT's don't count as individual stage wins.

This is one of the things that caused some friction between Floyd Landis and
the team, based on one of the interviews I read with Daniel Coyle. Floyd
had a stage win bonus structure written into his contract, and wanted to
collect after the TTT win last year.

No dice.

So if it didn't count as a stage win for Floyd, it doesn't count as a stage
win for Lance.