No Tafi for Tour

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Inconnu, May 25, 2003.

  1. Inconnu

    Inconnu Guest

    Drat and a curse upon HamletLand and CSC's myopic manager.

    Now what am I to do with the ~Io Tifo Tafi~ T-Shirt from the 1996 Worlds that I rescued from the
    bottom of the drawer, lovingly hand washed in extra-soft Omo and gently ironed?

    And just for interest, I wonder on which stage the last RiisWonderKind will retire on?

    Tags:

  2. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    "inconnu" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > I wonder on which stage the last RiisWonderKind will retire on?

    You don't think Hamilton will at least finish the Tour?

    Andy Coggan

  3. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    Where did you read this and what is the reason given?

    "inconnu" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Drat and a curse upon HamletLand and CSC's myopic manager.
    >
    > Now what am I to do with the ~Io Tifo Tafi~ T-Shirt from the 1996 Worlds
    that I rescued from the bottom of the drawer, lovingly hand washed in extra-soft Omo and
    gently ironed?

    > And just for interest, I wonder on which stage the last RiisWonderKind
    will retire on?

  4. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    I saw it in an interview with Riis on (I think) cyclingnews.com. The reason given was that
    CSC-Cervelo is riding for GC (with Hamilton and ?), and had no room for riders whose only ambition
    was a stage win. (Hey, don't shoot the messenger.)

    Andy Coggan

    "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Where did you read this and what is the reason given?
    >

    > "inconnu"
    <[email protected]>
    > wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Drat and a curse upon HamletLand and CSC's myopic manager.
    > >
    > > Now what am I to do with the ~Io Tifo Tafi~ T-Shirt from the 1996 Worlds
    > that I rescued from the bottom of the drawer, lovingly hand washed in extra-soft Omo and
    > gently ironed?
    > >
    > > And just for interest, I wonder on which stage the last RiisWonderKind
    > will retire on?

  5. Davide Tosi

    Davide Tosi Guest

    inconnu <[email protected]>, wrote:

    >Drat and a curse upon HamletLand and CSC's myopic manager.
    >
    >Now what am I to do with the ~Io Tifo Tafi~ T-Shirt from the 1996 Worlds that I rescued from the
    >bottom of the drawer, lovingly hand washed in extra-soft Omo and gently ironed?
    >
    >And just for interest, I wonder on which stage the last RiisWonderKind will retire on?

    The Gladiator made a big mistake in going to race for a team managed by an idiot.

  6. Inconnu

    Inconnu Guest

    Andy Coggan <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I saw it in an interview with Riis on (I think) cyclingnews.com. The reason given was that
    > CSC-Cervelo is riding for GC (with Hamilton and ?), and had no room for riders whose only ambition
    > was a stage win. (Hey, don't shoot the messenger.)
    >
    > Andy Coggan

    Also, not to detract from your explanation above, la Gazzetta dello Sport mentions that Riis does
    not want any riders who are _using the Tour to prepare for the post Tour Classics_

    > "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Where did you read this and what is the reason given?
    >>

    >> "inconnu"
    > <[email protected]>
    >> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> > Drat and a curse upon HamletLand and CSC's myopic manager.
    >> >
    >> > Now what am I to do with the ~Io Tifo Tafi~ T-Shirt from the 1996 Worlds
    >> that I rescued from the bottom of the drawer, lovingly hand washed in extra-soft Omo and gently
    >> ironed?
    >> >
    >> > And just for interest, I wonder on which stage the last RiisWonderKind
    >> will retire on?

  7. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Davide Tosi <[email protected]> wrote:

    > inconnu <[email protected]>, wrote:
    >
    > >Drat and a curse upon HamletLand and CSC's myopic manager.
    > >
    > >Now what am I to do with the ~Io Tifo Tafi~ T-Shirt from the 1996 Worlds that I rescued from the
    > >bottom of the drawer, lovingly hand washed in extra-soft Omo and gently ironed?
    > >
    > >And just for interest, I wonder on which stage the last RiisWonderKind will retire on?
    >
    > The Gladiator made a big mistake in going to race for a team managed by an idiot.

    Yes, his bad management has certainly screwed up Tyler Hamilton's career.

    -WG

  8. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    > I saw it in an interview with Riis on (I think) cyclingnews.com. The
    reason
    > given was that CSC-Cervelo is riding for GC (with Hamilton and ?), and had no room for riders
    > whose only ambition was a stage win. (Hey, don't shoot the messenger.)
    >
    > Andy Coggan

    Seems strange that a workhorse like Tafi isn't being brought to the Tour. If the GC guys falter,
    then what??

    Mike

  9. Hawke

    Hawke Guest

    "Davide Tosi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > inconnu <[email protected]>, wrote:
    >
    > >Drat and a curse upon HamletLand and CSC's myopic manager.
    > >
    > >Now what am I to do with the ~Io Tifo Tafi~ T-Shirt from the 1996 Worlds
    that I rescued from the bottom of the drawer, lovingly hand washed in extra-soft Omo and
    gently ironed?

    > >And just for interest, I wonder on which stage the last RiisWonderKind
    will retire on?

    > The Gladiator made a big mistake in going to race for a team managed by an idiot.

    I didn't know that your family was managing a race!

    Hawke

  10. Us

    Us Guest

    >>I saw it in an interview with Riis on (I think) cyclingnews.com. The reason given was that
    >>CSC-Cervelo is riding for GC (with Hamilton and

    Sastre

    >>Andy Coggan
    >>

    > Also, not to detract from your explanation above, la Gazzetta dello Sport mentions that Riis does
    > not want any riders who are _using the Tour to prepare for the post Tour Classics_

    this was the promary reason I think.... He's been injured and well who knows..

  11. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    I really like Tafi and I think he is the kind of person that understands team objectives whether he
    needs to pull a rider or to make room for another rider. I hope that means Tafi will be rested in
    time for the post Tour classics. He won Paris Tours not long ago.

    Thanks.

  12. In article <[email protected]>, "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I really like Tafi and I think he is the kind of person that understands team objectives whether
    > he needs to pull a rider or to make room for another rider. I hope that means Tafi will be rested
    > in time for the post Tour classics. He won Paris Tours not long ago.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Tafi's a classics guy anyways, grand tours aren't his thing. For those guys it means riding around
    france for three weeks, no hope in hell of winning anything. ALthough tafi's won stages, hasn't he?

  13. Tony

    Tony Guest

    [email protected] (Marlene Blanshay) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > In article <[email protected]>, "Nick Burns"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I really like Tafi and I think he is the kind of person that understands team objectives whether
    > > he needs to pull a rider or to make room for another rider. I hope that means Tafi will be
    > > rested in time for the post Tour classics. He won Paris Tours not long ago.
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > Tafi's a classics guy anyways, grand tours aren't his thing. For those guys it means riding
    > around france for three weeks, no hope in hell of winning anything. ALthough tafi's won stages,
    > hasn't he?

    Tafi has not won a stage in any Grand Tour, although he did take third in Stage 13 into Carpentras
    at the 98 Tour de France (stage was won by teammate Nardello).

  14. > >
    > >And just for interest, I wonder on which stage the last RiisWonderKind will retire on?
    >
    > The Gladiator made a big mistake in going to race for a team managed by an idiot.

    didn't hamilton just _win_ LBL, or some other top classic? isn't that the biggest thing he's done
    except podium in the Vuelta? I thought a major classics win alone means a racer's had a more or less
    successful career.

  15. Marlene Blanshay <[email protected]> schreef in berichtnieuws
    [email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>, "Nick Burns"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I really like Tafi and I think he is the kind of person that understands team objectives whether
    > > he needs to pull a rider or to make room for
    another
    > > rider. I hope that means Tafi will be rested in time for the post Tour classics. He won Paris
    > > Tours not long ago.
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > Tafi's a classics guy anyways, grand tours aren't his thing. For those guys it means riding
    > around france for three weeks, no hope in hell of winning anything. ALthough tafi's won stages,
    > hasn't he?

    He might not win them, but he could do a lot of work in the flat stages, as well as in the team time
    trial. Any GC candidate should be very happy with his help, and I don't think he is above the role
    as a worker. It would be good preparation for the later world cup races too, so I don't see a good
    reason not to include him.

  16. "Jonathan v.d. Sluis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Marlene Blanshay <[email protected]> schreef in berichtnieuws
    > [email protected]
    > > In article <[email protected]>, "Nick Burns" <[email protected]>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > I really like Tafi and I think he is the kind of person that
    understands
    > > > team objectives whether he needs to pull a rider or to make room for
    > another
    > > > rider. I hope that means Tafi will be rested in time for the post Tour classics. He won Paris
    > > > Tours not long ago.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks.
    > > >
    > > Tafi's a classics guy anyways, grand tours aren't his thing. For those guys it means riding
    > > around france for three weeks, no hope in hell of winning anything. ALthough tafi's won stages,
    > > hasn't he?
    >
    > He might not win them, but he could do a lot of work in the flat stages,
    as
    > well as in the team time trial. Any GC candidate should be very happy with his help, and I don't
    > think he is above the role as a worker. It would be good preparation for the later world cup races
    > too, so I don't see a good reason not to include him.

    There are always intra-team dynamics that we, the public, are not aware of.

  17. Otto

    Otto Guest

    [email protected] (remove the polite word to reply) wrote in message news:<
    > didn't hamilton just _win_ LBL, or some other top classic? isn't that the biggest thing he's done
    > except podium in the Vuelta? I thought a major classics win alone means a racer's had a more or
    > less successful career.

    That would be a podium spot in last years Giro, not a podium in the Vuelta. Not to mention winning
    the Dauphine Libre in 2000, as well as getting 2nd in the tour of the basque country (where
    apparently he was the strongest rider), and the overall in Romandie this year. You're probably
    getting him confused with Leipheimer, who hasn't really done much other than get a podium spot in
    the 2001 Vuelta.

  18. Dan Tompkins

    Dan Tompkins Guest

    Hamilton's dispatches emphasize Riis's insistence on a team mentality. I love to watch Tafi ride,
    but he can be an individualist. I think I recall teammates criticizing him in the 2002 Tour de
    Langkawi, for solo breaks that did the team no good.

    Dan Tomkins