No Wheel Drive!

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Stephen Harding, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hauled my bike out of the barn to begin my commute to work this morning and low and behold, I can
    spin my pedals in BOTH directions! No wheel drive!

We're expecting 2-3 inches of snow this afternoon so rather than swap out the rear studded knobby
    for my Avocet cross, I opted for the 4WD truck.

What happened??? It was fine when I arrived home Friday night through the 3-4 inches of snow that
    piled up then.

My suspicion is the gear pawls in the freewheel hub froze closed. Perhaps I backpedaled a bit on
    arriving at the barn door on Friday night, and the pawls will not click out to engage.

I'm going to try and leave the bike in a warm place over night tonight and see if I have gears
    back again tomorrow morning. This has never happened to me before. I don't think anything is
    actually broken.

SMH

Tags:

2. Stephen Harding <[email protected]> spake thusly on or about Mon, 10 Feb 2003 15:12:36 UTC

-> What happened??? It was fine when I arrived home Friday night through -> the 3-4 inches of snow
    that piled up then. -> -> My suspicion is the gear pawls in the freewheel hub froze closed. ->
    Perhaps I backpedaled a bit on arriving at the barn door on Friday -> night, and the pawls will not
    click out to engage. -> I suspect you are right. you might want ot use a lighter grease or even an
    oil in the winter.
    --
    I hurt before the ride so fibro gives me a head start on the rest of the pack. silver lining?
    [email protected]

3. [email protected] wrote:

> Stephen Harding <[email protected]> spake thusly on or about Mon, 10 Feb
    >
    > -> What happened??? It was fine when I arrived home Friday night through -> the 3-4 inches of snow
    > that piled up then. -> -> My suspicion is the gear pawls in the freewheel hub froze closed. ->
    > Perhaps I backpedaled a bit on arriving at the barn door on Friday -> night, and the pawls will
    > not click out to engage. -> I suspect you are right. you might want ot use a lighter grease or
    > even an oil in the winter.

Wierd that this problem didn't occur last week or the week before when temps hit 0-ish (F)
    and below.

Must have something to do with the snow accumulating in the cluster.

SMH

4. Stephen Harding <[email protected]> spake thusly on or about Mon, 10 Feb 2003 20:36:41 UTC

-> Wierd that this problem didn't occur last week or the week before when -> temps hit 0-ish (F) and
    below. -> -> Must have something to do with the snow accumulating in the cluster. -> ->

If I am going to have problems it usually happens after it has gotten near or above freezing for a
    day or two then drops again. My son managed to freeze his chain quite well when we went from 3C to
    -30C over night. two minutes with a heat gun and we were rolling again.... though he was still mad
    that I laughed.

--
    I hurt before the ride so fibro gives me a head start on the rest of the pack. silver lining?
    [email protected]

5. Woody Turgid

Woody Turgid Guest

As a temporary "get back" repair, you can convert the hub to a fixed gear by stuffing twigs,
    shoelace or weeds between the spokes and the biggest cog. Then the bike will go whichever way
    you pedal.

"Stephen Harding" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hauled my bike out of the barn to begin my commute to work this morning and low and behold, I can
    > spin my pedals in BOTH directions! No wheel drive!
    >
    > We're expecting 2-3 inches of snow this afternoon so rather than swap out the rear studded knobby
    > for my Avocet cross, I opted for the 4WD truck.
    >
    > What happened??? It was fine when I arrived home Friday night through the 3-4 inches of snow that
    > piled up then.
    >
    > My suspicion is the gear pawls in the freewheel hub froze closed. Perhaps I backpedaled a bit on
    > arriving at the barn door on Friday night, and the pawls will not click out to engage.
    >
    > I'm going to try and leave the bike in a warm place over night tonight and see if I have gears
    > back again tomorrow morning. This has never happened to me before. I don't think anything is
    > actually broken.
    >
    >
    > SMH

-----------== Posted via Newsfeed.Com - Uncensored Usenet News ==----------
    http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    -----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers =-----

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.