No Wheel Drive!

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Stephen Harding, Feb 10, 2003.

  1. Hauled my bike out of the barn to begin my commute to work this morning and low and behold, I can
    spin my pedals in BOTH directions! No wheel drive!

    We're expecting 2-3 inches of snow this afternoon so rather than swap out the rear studded knobby
    for my Avocet cross, I opted for the 4WD truck.

    What happened??? It was fine when I arrived home Friday night through the 3-4 inches of snow that
    piled up then.

    My suspicion is the gear pawls in the freewheel hub froze closed. Perhaps I backpedaled a bit on
    arriving at the barn door on Friday night, and the pawls will not click out to engage.

    I'm going to try and leave the bike in a warm place over night tonight and see if I have gears
    back again tomorrow morning. This has never happened to me before. I don't think anything is
    actually broken.

    SMH

    Tags:

  2. Stephen Harding <[email protected]> spake thusly on or about Mon, 10 Feb 2003 15:12:36 UTC

    -> What happened??? It was fine when I arrived home Friday night through -> the 3-4 inches of snow
    that piled up then. -> -> My suspicion is the gear pawls in the freewheel hub froze closed. ->
    Perhaps I backpedaled a bit on arriving at the barn door on Friday -> night, and the pawls will not
    click out to engage. -> I suspect you are right. you might want ot use a lighter grease or even an
    oil in the winter.
    --
    I hurt before the ride so fibro gives me a head start on the rest of the pack. silver lining?
    [email protected]

  3. [email protected] wrote:

    > Stephen Harding <[email protected]> spake thusly on or about Mon, 10 Feb
    >
    > -> What happened??? It was fine when I arrived home Friday night through -> the 3-4 inches of snow
    > that piled up then. -> -> My suspicion is the gear pawls in the freewheel hub froze closed. ->
    > Perhaps I backpedaled a bit on arriving at the barn door on Friday -> night, and the pawls will
    > not click out to engage. -> I suspect you are right. you might want ot use a lighter grease or
    > even an oil in the winter.

    Wierd that this problem didn't occur last week or the week before when temps hit 0-ish (F)
    and below.

    Must have something to do with the snow accumulating in the cluster.

    SMH

  4. Stephen Harding <[email protected]> spake thusly on or about Mon, 10 Feb 2003 20:36:41 UTC

    -> Wierd that this problem didn't occur last week or the week before when -> temps hit 0-ish (F) and
    below. -> -> Must have something to do with the snow accumulating in the cluster. -> ->

    If I am going to have problems it usually happens after it has gotten near or above freezing for a
    day or two then drops again. My son managed to freeze his chain quite well when we went from 3C to
    -30C over night. two minutes with a heat gun and we were rolling again.... though he was still mad
    that I laughed.

    --
    I hurt before the ride so fibro gives me a head start on the rest of the pack. silver lining?
    [email protected]

  5. Woody Turgid

    Woody Turgid Guest

    As a temporary "get back" repair, you can convert the hub to a fixed gear by stuffing twigs,
    shoelace or weeds between the spokes and the biggest cog. Then the bike will go whichever way
    you pedal.