No wonder my brake pads wear out quickly

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Bryan, Sep 17, 2003.

  1. Bryan

    Bryan New Member

    Joined:
    May 1, 2003
    Decided to count the number of traffic lights on my commute to work this morning, as I was a bit bored getting stuck in queues waiting form them to change. In total there were 153 in the 22 mile journey. Which to my basic maths equates to about 1 set every 230 yards. Now not all of them are going to be red, or changing, but a large proportion are, which explains why my average speed is only 15 mph, and my front brake pads keep wearing down quickly, I'm constantly breaking and acellerating!

    So can anyone beat that number of lights on their commute?

    Bryan

    p.s. the large number is caused by me cycling through the centre of London

    Tags:

  2. Congokid

    Congokid Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Bryan <[email protected]> writes
    >Decided to count the number of traffic lights on my commute to work this morning, as I was a bit
    >bored getting stuck in queues waiting form them to change. In total there were 153 in the 22 mile
    >journey. Which to my basic maths equates to about 1 set every 230 yards. Now not all of them are
    >going to be red, or changing, but a large proportion are, which explains why my average speed is
    >only 15 mph, and my front brake pads keep wearing down quickly, I'm constantly breaking and
    >acellerating!
    >
    >So can anyone beat that number of lights on their commute?

    Do you count ped crossings with lights? How about ped crossings without lights? I'd need to do the
    journey and count - which will be next week earliest as I'm on leave and about to head for Paris.

    --
    congokid Eating out in London? Read my tips... http://congokid.com

  3. "congokid" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > ....and my front brake pads
    > >keep wearing down quickly, I'm constantly breaking and acellerating!

    Don't you get to know the phases so you arrive *just* as they go green?

  4. Tenex

    Tenex Guest

    Bryan wrote:
    > Which to my basic maths equates to about 1 set every 230 yards.

    What?? You lucky devil 230 yds between traffic lights? Some people don't know they're luck .....

  5. Tenex

    Tenex Guest

    Sorry that got away before I had to time to add two things

    1. ;-)

    2. did you see an interesting piece by Matthew Parris or Simon Jenkins in the Times about iron and
    how there's an obscene proliferation of it in modern times in the form of posts? Worth a read.

  6. Ratface

    Ratface New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2003
    I guess you're getting plenty of practise for accelerating out of the corners on your next crit then? ;-)

    I have a grand total of 1 traffic light on the 5km route between my house and my work, but I live in Sweden and there's a separate cycle path along 80% of the route. And I still find myself feeling like I can't get up enough speed ;-)

  7. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Tenex <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Bryan wrote:
    > > Which to my basic maths equates to about 1 set every 230 yards.
    >
    > What?? You lucky devil 230 yds between traffic lights? Some people don't know they're luck .....

    Errr.

    One route to work has (8.5 miles) one ( deserted) cross roads, one T junction left , two right
    turns , one pelican crsooding and a set of traffic lights. The other (10.5 miles) has three right
    turns ( one deserted) one roundabout and tow left turns, no lights.

    --
    Marc Stickers,decals,membership,cards, T shirts, signs etc for clubs and associations of all types.
    http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

  8. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Adrian Boliston wrote:

    >> ....and my front brake pads
    >>> keep wearing down quickly, I'm constantly breaking and acellerating!
    >
    > Don't you get to know the phases so you arrive *just* as they go green?

    Do you think that is possible in central London? I don't think so!

    ~PB

  9. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    "Tenex" <[email protected]> writes:

    > Bryan wrote:
    > > Which to my basic maths equates to about 1 set every 230 yards.
    >
    > What?? You lucky devil 230 yds between traffic lights? Some people don't know they're luck .....

    H'mmmm... There is precisely one set of traffic lights within twenty miles of this house. Indeed,
    going north, the nearest set of traffic lights is more than forty miles away, and going west you
    won't see any until you reach the end of the world as we know it[1], all of seventy miles away.

    [1] aka Stranraer.

    ;; Semper in faecibus sumus, sole profundum variat.