No Worlds for Boonen

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by Powerful Pete, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Following a bad fall in the Vuelta and injuries to one knee and his back, Boonen has decided not to participate in the forthcoming World Championship Road Race.

That sucks. It is always a good thing for the race to have someone like him there!

Tags:

2. Crankyfeet

Crankyfeet New Member

Yeah, I agree.

Keep up the good work on your threads and posts PP. I'm usually a little late on the grapevine.

3. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Yes no Boonen, Valverde or Vino..... we can look forward to the Dominican Republic putting in a good show with the help of the Saudi Arabian cyclists......

4. lwedge

lwedge New Member

Not the best of years for Tom. Too bad, he is always one to watch.

5. Frigo's Luggage

Frigo's Luggage New Member

I was surprised to hear he was planning to race it at all. He said last month that the course didn't suit him because it was too hilly.

6. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

Ditto. It does not seem like a big personal loss for Boonen given the small chance of success he would have had.

If I can hijack the thread, who is everyones' pick for the road race? It is hard to pick against the Italians, but I think I will go for a slight dark horse and got for Schumacher.

7. Crankyfeet

Crankyfeet New Member

Can somebody save me some time by giving me the best web-site for the course profile?

8. wicklow200

wicklow200 New Member

Is Valverde out too?

9. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

I do not think we will know if Valverde races it until we see who lines up at the starting line. The Spanish Federation does not appear to be willing to back down on this one.

As for who will win, remember it is a one day road race, so anything can happen. Certainly not having Boonen, Valverde and Vino present will simplify things for big teams like the Italians, but there are plenty of riders who could have a good day and pull it off. Freire is a potential winner, as is Schumi and a number of others.

10. Tech72

Tech72 New Member

Oscar Freire 4-peat!

On an un-related note. A bit of a stupid question but.....Is this year's World's road course in Stuttgart similar (ie. use some of the same roads) to the course they used for the '91 World's that Bugno won?