Noise around crank area?

Urban Sherpa

Guest
Went out for a ride the other day and heard a creaking
around the crank area.

I don't think it is the cranks because I had my trusty LBS
actually tighten the crank bolts and Locktite them (I don't
have a torquewrench) 64 miles ago. Also, it doesn't seem to
be a pedal issue. Frame looks OK, also. The bike has a total
of about 200 miles on it. I bought it new in November, 2003.
It is a Cannondale CAAD4 road bike, with Shimano SPD pedals,
and all 105 components (including the BB) If it matters, my
cadence is about 80-90 rpm.

......opinions?

Thanks, -Karl

>Went out for a ride the other day and heard a creaking
>around the crank area.

If you've checked the cranks, normally I would think the
bottom bracket would be the culprit. However, with only 200
miles on the bike, that too seems unlikely unless the
bottom bracket/bearings/spindle were not properly greased
and tightened when the bike was assembled. Still, when I've
heard bikes with that "creak" -- "creak" at regular
pedaling intervals, the bottom bracket is my first thought,
if it isn't the crank.

Urban Sherpa <[email protected]> wrote:
> I don't think it is the cranks because I had my trusty LBS
> actually tighten the crank bolts and Locktite them (I
> don't have a torquewrench) 64 miles ago. Also, it doesn't
> seem to be a pedal issue.

What makes you say it's not a pedal issue?

You'll have to play detective and gather more clues if you
want to track down that noise. Is it continuous or
intermittent, and if the latter, is there a certain rhythm?
Does it only occur under load? Does it disappear when you
spin slower than your speed, or backwards? Does it occur on
all chainrings? Is it still there if you pedal while
unclipped? If you use only one foot?

If you're not having any luck, pay a visit to your
LBS; tracking down a noise by yourself can be
frustrating at times.

--
Frederic Briere <*> [email protected]

=> <[email protected]> IS NO MORE:
=> <http://www.abacomsucks.com> <=

"Urban Sherpa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Went out for a ride the other day and heard a creaking
> around the crank area.
>
> I don't think it is the cranks because I had my trusty LBS
> actually tighten the crank bolts and Locktite them (I
> don't have a torquewrench) 64 miles ago. Also, it doesn't
> seem to be a pedal issue. Frame looks OK, also. The bike
> has a total of about 200 miles on it. I bought it new in
> November, 2003. It is a Cannondale CAAD4 road bike, with
> Shimano SPD pedals, and all 105 components (including the
> BB) If it matters, my cadence is about 80-90 rpm.

Localizing the noise can be hard. If it creaks when you're
out of the saddle, you can eliminate saddle & seatpost. If
it creaks no-hands, you can eliminate bars & stem. That
pretty much gets down to pedals, crank & BB. I'd put my
money on BB, they commonly squeak, even if the threads are
well lubed (which they should always be). I've had creaks
right after installing new BB, but they went away. Some
recommend plumber's teflon tape as a fix for this, but I
haven't tried it. Obscure things like chainring bolts and
rims can generate squeaks, it can be frustrating to track
them down.

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 11:05:05 +0000, Frederic Briere wrote:

> You'll have to play detective and gather more clues if you
> want to track down that noise. Is it continuous or
> intermittent, and if the latter, is there a certain
> rhythm? Does it only occur under load? Does it disappear
> when you spin slower than your speed, or backwards? Does
> it occur on all chainrings? Is it still there if you pedal
> while unclipped? If you use only one foot?

I am also hearing a strange noise from my bottom bracket
these days. It happens after pedalling about 30 minutes.
Doesn't care if I apply a lot of force or if I just spin
lightly. The noise is continuous, like something is
"rolling" down there (like gravel in the waves ?). Occurs on
all gears (chainrings & sprockets). I don't feel any hard
spot or vibration in the pedals. If I backpedal half a turn
and start spinning again, it stops for maybe 30-60 seconds
then starts again. The bike is a 3 year old Bianchi, only
3000 km on the meter.

Any clues ?

Jacques

Jacques Moser wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 11:05:05 +0000, Frederic Briere wrote:
>

> > You'll have to play detective and gather more clues if
> > you want to track down that noise. Is it continuous or
> > intermittent, and if the latter, is there a certain
> > rhythm? Does it only occur under load? Does it disappear
> > when you spin slower than your speed, or backwards? Does
> > it occur on all chainrings? Is it still there if you
> > pedal while unclipped? If you use only one foot?
> >

> I am also hearing a strange noise from my bottom bracket
> these days. It happens after pedalling about 30 minutes.
> Doesn't care if I apply a lot of force or if I just spin
> lightly. The noise is continuous, like something is
> "rolling" down there (like gravel in the waves ?). Occurs
> on all gears (chainrings & sprockets). I don't feel any
> hard spot or vibration in the pedals. If I backpedal half
> a turn and start spinning again, it stops for maybe 30-60
> seconds then starts again. The bike is a 3 year old
> Bianchi, only 3000 km on the meter.
>
> Any clues ?
>
> Jacques

Sounds like worn bearings. Remove the chain from the
chainwheels so that the pedals are free to spin without
resistance from the chain, then pick up the bike by the
frame and give the pedals a good spin. Do you hear or
feel grinding?

You probably need to replace the bearing cartridge, or
even the whole BB if its cup-and-cone style and has
become pitted.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Urban Sherpa) wrote:
>Went out for a ride the other day and heard a creaking
>around the crank area.
>
>I don't think it is the cranks because I had my trusty LBS
>actually tighten the crank bolts and Locktite them (I don't
>have a torquewrench) 64 miles ago. Also, it doesn't seem to
>be a pedal issue. Frame looks OK, also. The bike has a
>total of about 200 miles on it. I bought it new in
>November, 2003. It is a Cannondale CAAD4 road bike, with
>Shimano SPD pedals, and all 105 components (including the
>BB) If it matters, my cadence is about 80-90 rpm.
>
>.......opinions?

I had an almost identical problem with a Canndale full
suspension MTB some years ago. After I have pedaled for a
few 100 meters, it began to make noice when I pedaled. I
thoght it was the cranck. I bought a new crank, I took the
pedal arms off and on again, it tighten, I greased and and
lubbed... nothing helped.

I finnaly turned out to be a broken rear hub... I noticed
when I moved the rear wheel over to another bike and the
creaking sound began to appear again... :)

--
Jørn Dahl-Stamnes
http://spiderman.novit.no/dahls/