noise from bb area?

wardie2000

Jun 9, 2003
I have been hearing a noise coming from the bb area of my bike, but only when my right foot begins the downward part of the circle.
the noise is a clicking/cracking noise and happens every time at the same point.

it is not the pedals, just got a new set. the bb is about 2months old. it is a record 2005 chainset.

has anyone else experienced a problem like this?
have a race tomorrow with no team support so trying to fix the problem soon.

any advice appreciated

wardie2000 said:
I have been hearing a noise coming from the bb area of my bike, but only when my right foot begins the downward part of the circle.
the noise is a clicking/cracking noise and happens every time at the same point.

it is not the pedals, just got a new set. the bb is about 2months old. it is a record 2005 chainset.

any advice appreciated

Maybe that BB's loose. Not sure a chainset would make cracking noises, unless we're talking crankset.

I was getting a clicking coming from my bottom bracket & bottom bracket was loose & there was also a bad chain link

*grumbles about the bad chain link in chain less than 1 month old & recently cleaned & relubed*

wardie2000 said:

any advice appreciated
I had that problem on my Record 10 bike. I built it in November took it out a couple times and put it away for the winter. My first ride this year on the bike produced a noise like you were describing. It turn out, that the crank bolts need another 1/4 turn. That was it and it has been purring ever since. I was surprised that loose crank bolts could make such an awful noise.

Baalzamon said:
I was getting a clicking coming from my bottom bracket & bottom bracket was loose & there was also a bad chain link

*grumbles about the bad chain link in chain less than 1 month old & recently cleaned & relubed*

What brand of chain? Glad you fixed the problem. I can't stand a car that has rattles either. Drives me nuts...

wardie2000 said:

any advice appreciated[/QUOT

I had the same problem with my cannondale R800....even though i thought the bottom bracket was tight, it wasnt tightened to the right torque specifications, and that made the difference...once i had it tightened with a torque wrench, it stopped making the noise.

It is most likely a loose crankbolt on the side that is creaking. Be sure to check them from time to time, as a loose crankbolt can lead to damaged crankarms. My brother cracked the left-side crankarm on his Campy Veloce set right where the crankarm connects to the bb spindle. All due to a loose crankbolt allowing the crankarm side-to-side play, which put extra stress on it.