Noise in front brakes

li rider

Oct 11, 2004
After changing a flat on my back tire, my front brakes began to make a noise when I squeeze to brake hard. It sounds as if a piece of paper is slapping against something on every wheel rotation while I hold the front brake.

I wiped down the rim and the tire and wiped the brake pads, checked to see if anything is there, but still the same sound.

Any ideas/solutions?

Take the peice of paper off of your spoke:D . Seriously, check to make sure that your brakes are contacting only the rim. Check for any loose parts. Check to make sure that your cable end isn't getting slapped by a spoke. Also check to make sure that your headset is adjusted correctly. If it was squealing, this would be much easier to diagnose! It is also strange that it is happening on the front after fixing the rear tire. If you are using a computer with a front wheel sensor, make sure that the sensor is not hitting the magnet.

Is the front wheel out of true? Is the quick release properly fitted with the wheel well centred? Is the brake caliper well centred? Is there a touch of toe-in with the brake pads?

did all of the foregoing, and checked the wheel, etc. with no luck. brought it in to my LBS, who then did the same thing, tightened 2 spokes, and then sanded down the brake pad. (all at no charge -- an honest guy)

but when i went out this morning to right, same noise.

any other ideas?

kdelong said:
Take the peice of paper off of your spoke:D . Seriously, check to make sure that your brakes are contacting only the rim. Check for any loose parts. Check to make sure that your cable end isn't getting slapped by a spoke. Also check to make sure that your headset is adjusted correctly. If it was squealing, this would be much easier to diagnose! It is also strange that it is happening on the front after fixing the rear tire. If you are using a computer with a front wheel sensor, make sure that the sensor is not hitting the magnet.

li rider said:
did all of the foregoing, and checked the wheel, etc. with no luck. brought it in to my LBS, who then did the same thing, tightened 2 spokes, and then sanded down the brake pad. (all at no charge -- an honest guy)

but when i went out this morning to right, same noise.

any other ideas?
If you have a workstand, put your bike in it ... spin the front wheel, apply the brake ... observe.

If you don't have a workstand, HOLD the bike up, spin the front wheel, apply the brake, observe.

Repeat until you can replicate what you hear when you are on the road AND isolate the source of the sound (e.g., spoke magnet OR sensor that doesn't have sufficient clearance).

From what you describe, something must have happened to the front wheel or brake while you changed your rear. It is odd that the front would act up if you were only working on rear. Try to retrace the events, it may help to narrow the problem down. Did the bike fall over? Did munchkins tamper with it while your back was turned? etc.

On hard brake application and partly worn pads I had part of the pad holder (think it is to help you guide the wheel between the pads more easily) actually touch the spokes on the wheel (Shimano 16 spoke).

I think something must have gotten onto the pads or rim when the bike was on its side in the dirt on the side of the road as I changed the flat.

I will take the wheel off Sunday, look again, wash it down, and see what happens.

WIGGUM1 said:
From what you describe, something must have happened to the front wheel or brake while you changed your rear. It is odd that the front would act up if you were only working on rear. Try to retrace the events, it may help to narrow the problem down. Did the bike fall over? Did munchkins tamper with it while your back was turned? etc.

Just soak the brake pads in motor oil over night and you won't have to worry about that noise any more:eek: ! (I hope that you do not take this suggestion seriously. Do not soak your pads in oil. In fact, do not let any lubricants get near your pads!)