Noise level of 48-inch Thermador dual-fuel range

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by John Beekley, Mar 30, 2006.

  1. John Beekley

    John Beekley Guest

    Hi -

    We got this range in November of 2005. In many ways we have been very
    happy with it. One thing that we have always been a little dissatisfied
    with is the noise of the fan. This fan runs whenever either of the
    ovens are turned on, and remains on until the oven(s) in use cool back
    down to 250 degrees or so.

    I would characterize the noise as being about the level of a blowdryer
    on its low fan setting. Sounds like there is a blower on the rear of
    the range that is largely (or completely) unshielded.

    We were resigned to living with the noise until a few weeks ago, when
    we were in an appliance store looking at washers and dryers. Since I am
    not really into laundry equipment, I was looking around at ranges, and
    found 48-inch Wolf and Viking, both hooked up and ready to go. So,
    unable to resist, I turned both of them on, to let them heat up and
    hear how loud THEY were. And I was dismayed to find that they seemed
    MUCH quieter, not even in the same league!

    We called a repair guy in to look at the Thermador, but he said it was
    installed properly, and they are just noisy. But searching through this
    forum and others I can find no complaints about this, which makes me
    wonder of the repair guy knew what he ws talking about. I just can't
    imagine that if Thermador were 3X as loud as Wolf, this wouldn't be
    commented on somewhere.

    So, that is my sad story, now I have a very expensive range that I fear
    I made a huge (and loud) mistake in purchasing. And I can't exactly
    sell it on Ebay! Anyone have any advice for me, or experience to share?
    It would be much appreciated!

    Tags:

  2. Kent

    Kent Guest

    I hate the fan in our kitchen as well. Why don't you just turn it off. You
    could install a manual switch that bypasses the thermostat. As well, I can't
    imagine any reason for a fan to be on unless it were 400F, and unless you
    are cooking something uniquely offensive to the olfactory organ.
    Kent

    "John Beekley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi -
    >
    > We got this range in November of 2005. In many ways we have been very
    > happy with it. One thing that we have always been a little dissatisfied
    > with is the noise of the fan. This fan runs whenever either of the
    > ovens are turned on, and remains on until the oven(s) in use cool back
    > down to 250 degrees or so.
    >
    > I would characterize the noise as being about the level of a blowdryer
    > on its low fan setting. Sounds like there is a blower on the rear of
    > the range that is largely (or completely) unshielded.
    >
    > We were resigned to living with the noise until a few weeks ago, when
    > we were in an appliance store looking at washers and dryers. Since I am
    > not really into laundry equipment, I was looking around at ranges, and
    > found 48-inch Wolf and Viking, both hooked up and ready to go. So,
    > unable to resist, I turned both of them on, to let them heat up and
    > hear how loud THEY were. And I was dismayed to find that they seemed
    > MUCH quieter, not even in the same league!
    >
    > We called a repair guy in to look at the Thermador, but he said it was
    > installed properly, and they are just noisy. But searching through this
    > forum and others I can find no complaints about this, which makes me
    > wonder of the repair guy knew what he ws talking about. I just can't
    > imagine that if Thermador were 3X as loud as Wolf, this wouldn't be
    > commented on somewhere.
    >
    > So, that is my sad story, now I have a very expensive range that I fear
    > I made a huge (and loud) mistake in purchasing. And I can't exactly
    > sell it on Ebay! Anyone have any advice for me, or experience to share?
    > It would be much appreciated!

  3. Kent

    Kent Guest

    "Kent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I hate the fan in our kitchen as well. Why don't you just turn it off. You
    >could install a manual switch that bypasses the thermostat. As well, I
    >can't imagine any reason for a fan to be on unless it were 400F, and unless
    >you are cooking something uniquely offensive to the olfactory organ.
    > Kent
    >
    > "John Beekley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]om...
    >> Hi -
    >>
    >> We got this range in November of 2005. In many ways we have been very
    >> happy with it. One thing that we have always been a little dissatisfied
    >> with is the noise of the fan. This fan runs whenever either of the
    >> ovens are turned on, and remains on until the oven(s) in use cool back
    >> down to 250 degrees or so.
    >>
    >> I would characterize the noise as being about the level of a blowdryer
    >> on its low fan setting. Sounds like there is a blower on the rear of
    >> the range that is largely (or completely) unshielded.
    >>
    >> We were resigned to living with the noise until a few weeks ago, when
    >> we were in an appliance store looking at washers and dryers. Since I am
    >> not really into laundry equipment, I was looking around at ranges, and
    >> found 48-inch Wolf and Viking, both hooked up and ready to go. So,
    >> unable to resist, I turned both of them on, to let them heat up and
    >> hear how loud THEY were. And I was dismayed to find that they seemed
    >> MUCH quieter, not even in the same league!
    >>
    >> We called a repair guy in to look at the Thermador, but he said it was
    >> installed properly, and they are just noisy. But searching through this
    >> forum and others I can find no complaints about this, which makes me
    >> wonder of the repair guy knew what he ws talking about. I just can't
    >> imagine that if Thermador were 3X as loud as Wolf, this wouldn't be
    >> commented on somewhere.
    >>
    >> So, that is my sad story, now I have a very expensive range that I fear
    >> I made a huge (and loud) mistake in purchasing. And I can't exactly
    >> sell it on Ebay! Anyone have any advice for me, or experience to share?
    >> It would be much appreciated!

    The other reason, in addition to the above, is that we use the fan most when
    my wife flees the house when there is the smell of raw onion anywhere in the
    kitchen. It's good to be able to turn it off and on.
    BTW, thanks for your pearl. If you can't do what I'm suggesting for any
    "safety" reason, you would think strongly about another brand.
    Thanks again,
    Kent
    Kent