Noise of rollers

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B. Schneider

I am looking into something to ride indoors during the winter. For various reasons I am looking for
a quiet solution.

I just borrowed a set of demo Kreitler rollers from the LBS. I have seem them described as the
quietest way to do indoor cycling, yet they make a definite whining/howling noise.

Is that normal, or is there something wrong with the setup ? Are wind, magnetic and fluid trainers
even noisier ?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks, Bengt.

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> I am looking into something to ride indoors during the winter. For various reasons I am looking
> for a quiet solution.
>
> I just borrowed a set of demo Kreitler rollers from the LBS. I have seem them described as the
> quietest way to do indoor cycling, yet they make a definite whining/howling noise.
>
> Is that normal, or is there something wrong with the setup ? Are wind, magnetic and fluid trainers
> even noisier ?

Wind trainers are rather noisy. I've only tried magnetic trainers in the shop, but they seemed much
quieter than the wind ones.

--
Dave Kerber Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

REAL programmers write self-modifying code.

In article <[email protected]>, David Kerber <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> > I am looking into something to ride indoors during the winter. For various reasons I am looking
> > for a quiet solution.
> >
> > I just borrowed a set of demo Kreitler rollers from the LBS. I have seem them described as the
> > quietest way to do indoor cycling, yet they make a definite whining/howling noise.
> >
> > Is that normal, or is there something wrong with the setup ? Are wind, magnetic and fluid
> > trainers even noisier ?
>
> Wind trainers are rather noisy. I've only tried magnetic trainers in the shop, but they seemed
> much quieter than the wind ones.

You're always going to have tire noise; this can seem pretty loud indoors. Smooth tires are a lot
quieter than ones with tread.

"Leonard Migliore" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:271020032014181967%[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, David Kerber <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> > > I am looking into something to ride indoors during the winter. For various reasons I am
> > > looking for a quiet solution.
> > >
> > > I just borrowed a set of demo Kreitler rollers from the LBS. I have seem them described as the
> > > quietest way to do indoor cycling, yet they make a definite whining/howling noise.
> > >
> > > Is that normal, or is there something wrong with the setup ? Are wind, magnetic and fluid
> > > trainers even noisier ?
> >
> > Wind trainers are rather noisy. I've only tried magnetic trainers in the shop, but they seemed
> > much quieter than the wind ones.
>
> You're always going to have tire noise; this can seem pretty loud indoors. Smooth tires are a lot
> quieter than ones with tread.

Maybe my expectations were just unreasonable. I am having smooth tires on my road bike, so that
shouldn't be a factor. I will try my hybrid for comparison just to see what difference tire tread
makes. I guess I will also try a trainers in the shop, just to get basis for comparison.

Thank you !

I'm just seconding what Leonard said ... on a set of Kreitlers, the biggest noise factor is going to
be your tire selection. I use smooth tires. I also have my rollers set up on a rubber mat (a cheapo
truck bed liner ) which absorbs vibration and keeps sweat off the floor. I don't think you'll find
an indoor training solution that's much quieter.

Bob C. "B. Schneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> "Leonard Migliore" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:271020032014181967%[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>, David Kerber <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> > > > I am looking into something to ride indoors during the winter. For various reasons I am
> > > > looking for a quiet solution.
> > > >
> > > > I just borrowed a set of demo Kreitler rollers from the LBS. I have seem them described as
> > > > the quietest way to do indoor cycling, yet they make a definite whining/howling noise.
> > > >
> > > > Is that normal, or is there something wrong with the setup ? Are wind, magnetic and fluid
> > > > trainers even noisier ?
> > >
> > > Wind trainers are rather noisy. I've only tried magnetic trainers in the shop, but they seemed
> > > much quieter than the wind ones.
> >
> > You're always going to have tire noise; this can seem pretty loud indoors. Smooth tires are a
> > lot quieter than ones with tread.
>
> Maybe my expectations were just unreasonable. I am having smooth tires on my road bike, so that
> shouldn't be a factor. I will try my hybrid for comparison just to see what difference tire tread
> makes. I guess I will also try a trainers in the shop, just to get basis for comparison.
>
> Thank you !

It seems that I may have had unrealistic expectations. Thanks for calibrating me.

"Robert Chambers" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I'm just seconding what Leonard said ... on a set of Kreitlers, the
biggest
> noise factor is going to be your tire selection. I use smooth tires. I also have my rollers set up
> on a rubber mat (a cheapo truck bed liner ) which absorbs vibration and keeps sweat off the floor.
> I don't think
you'll
> find an indoor training solution that's much quieter.
>
> Bob C. "B. Schneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Leonard Migliore" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:271020032014181967%[email protected]...
> > > In article <[email protected]>, David Kerber <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net>
> > > wrote:
> > >
> > > > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
says...
> > > > > I am looking into something to ride indoors during the winter. For various reasons I am
> > > > > looking for a quiet solution.
> > > > >
> > > > > I just borrowed a set of demo Kreitler rollers from the LBS. I have seem them described as
> > > > > the quietest way to do indoor
cycling,
> > > > > yet they make a definite whining/howling noise.
> > > > >
> > > > > Is that normal, or is there something wrong with the setup ? Are wind, magnetic and fluid
> > > > > trainers even noisier ?
> > > >
> > > > Wind trainers are rather noisy. I've only tried magnetic trainers
in
> > > > the shop, but they seemed much quieter than the wind ones.
> > >
> > > You're always going to have tire noise; this can seem pretty loud indoors. Smooth tires are a
> > > lot quieter than ones with tread.
> >
> > Maybe my expectations were just unreasonable. I am having smooth tires on my road bike, so that
> > shouldn't be a factor. I will try my hybrid for comparison just to see what difference tire
tread
> > makes. I guess I will also try a trainers in the shop, just to get basis for comparison.
> >
> > Thank you !
> >
>

Status
Not open for further replies.