Noise of rollers

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by B. Schneider, Oct 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. B. Schneider

B. Schneider Guest

I am looking into something to ride indoors during the winter. For various reasons I am looking for
    a quiet solution.

I just borrowed a set of demo Kreitler rollers from the LBS. I have seem them described as the
    quietest way to do indoor cycling, yet they make a definite whining/howling noise.

Is that normal, or is there something wrong with the setup ? Are wind, magnetic and fluid trainers
    even noisier ?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks, Bengt.

Tags:

2. David Kerber

David Kerber Guest

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > I am looking into something to ride indoors during the winter. For various reasons I am looking
    > for a quiet solution.
    >
    > I just borrowed a set of demo Kreitler rollers from the LBS. I have seem them described as the
    > quietest way to do indoor cycling, yet they make a definite whining/howling noise.
    >
    > Is that normal, or is there something wrong with the setup ? Are wind, magnetic and fluid trainers
    > even noisier ?

Wind trainers are rather noisy. I've only tried magnetic trainers in the shop, but they seemed much
    quieter than the wind ones.

--
    Dave Kerber Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

REAL programmers write self-modifying code.

3. In article <[email protected]>, David Kerber <[email protected]_ids.net> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > > I am looking into something to ride indoors during the winter. For various reasons I am looking
    > > for a quiet solution.
    > >
    > > I just borrowed a set of demo Kreitler rollers from the LBS. I have seem them described as the
    > > quietest way to do indoor cycling, yet they make a definite whining/howling noise.
    > >
    > > Is that normal, or is there something wrong with the setup ? Are wind, magnetic and fluid
    > > trainers even noisier ?
    >
    > Wind trainers are rather noisy. I've only tried magnetic trainers in the shop, but they seemed
    > much quieter than the wind ones.

You're always going to have tire noise; this can seem pretty loud indoors. Smooth tires are a lot
    quieter than ones with tread.

4. B. Schneider

B. Schneider Guest

"Leonard Migliore" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:271020032014181967%[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, David Kerber <[email protected]_ids.net> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > > > I am looking into something to ride indoors during the winter. For various reasons I am
    > > > looking for a quiet solution.
    > > >
    > > > I just borrowed a set of demo Kreitler rollers from the LBS. I have seem them described as the
    > > > quietest way to do indoor cycling, yet they make a definite whining/howling noise.
    > > >
    > > > Is that normal, or is there something wrong with the setup ? Are wind, magnetic and fluid
    > > > trainers even noisier ?
    > >
    > > Wind trainers are rather noisy. I've only tried magnetic trainers in the shop, but they seemed
    > > much quieter than the wind ones.
    >
    > You're always going to have tire noise; this can seem pretty loud indoors. Smooth tires are a lot
    > quieter than ones with tread.

Maybe my expectations were just unreasonable. I am having smooth tires on my road bike, so that
    shouldn't be a factor. I will try my hybrid for comparison just to see what difference tire tread
    makes. I guess I will also try a trainers in the shop, just to get basis for comparison.

Thank you !

5. I'm just seconding what Leonard said ... on a set of Kreitlers, the biggest noise factor is going to
    be your tire selection. I use smooth tires. I also have my rollers set up on a rubber mat (a cheapo
    truck bed liner ) which absorbs vibration and keeps sweat off the floor. I don't think you'll find
    an indoor training solution that's much quieter.

Bob C. "B. Schneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > "Leonard Migliore" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:271020032014181967%[email protected]...
    > > In article <[email protected]>, David Kerber <[email protected]_ids.net>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > > > > I am looking into something to ride indoors during the winter. For various reasons I am
    > > > > looking for a quiet solution.
    > > > >
    > > > > I just borrowed a set of demo Kreitler rollers from the LBS. I have seem them described as
    > > > > the quietest way to do indoor cycling, yet they make a definite whining/howling noise.
    > > > >
    > > > > Is that normal, or is there something wrong with the setup ? Are wind, magnetic and fluid
    > > > > trainers even noisier ?
    > > >
    > > > Wind trainers are rather noisy. I've only tried magnetic trainers in the shop, but they seemed
    > > > much quieter than the wind ones.
    > >
    > > You're always going to have tire noise; this can seem pretty loud indoors. Smooth tires are a
    > > lot quieter than ones with tread.
    >
    > Maybe my expectations were just unreasonable. I am having smooth tires on my road bike, so that
    > shouldn't be a factor. I will try my hybrid for comparison just to see what difference tire tread
    > makes. I guess I will also try a trainers in the shop, just to get basis for comparison.
    >
    > Thank you !

6. B. Schneider

B. Schneider Guest

It seems that I may have had unrealistic expectations. Thanks for calibrating me.

"Robert Chambers" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm just seconding what Leonard said ... on a set of Kreitlers, the
    biggest
    > noise factor is going to be your tire selection. I use smooth tires. I also have my rollers set up
    > on a rubber mat (a cheapo truck bed liner ) which absorbs vibration and keeps sweat off the floor.
    > I don't think
    you'll
    > find an indoor training solution that's much quieter.
    >
    > Bob C. "B. Schneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Leonard Migliore" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:271020032014181967%[email protected]...
    > > > In article <[email protected]>, David Kerber <[email protected]_ids.net>
    > > > wrote:
    > > >
    > > > > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    says...
    > > > > > I am looking into something to ride indoors during the winter. For various reasons I am
    > > > > > looking for a quiet solution.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > I just borrowed a set of demo Kreitler rollers from the LBS. I have seem them described as
    > > > > > the quietest way to do indoor
    cycling,
    > > > > > yet they make a definite whining/howling noise.
    > > > > >
    > > > > > Is that normal, or is there something wrong with the setup ? Are wind, magnetic and fluid
    > > > > > trainers even noisier ?
    > > > >
    > > > > Wind trainers are rather noisy. I've only tried magnetic trainers
    in
    > > > > the shop, but they seemed much quieter than the wind ones.
    > > >
    > > > You're always going to have tire noise; this can seem pretty loud indoors. Smooth tires are a
    > > > lot quieter than ones with tread.
    > >
    > > Maybe my expectations were just unreasonable. I am having smooth tires on my road bike, so that
    > > shouldn't be a factor. I will try my hybrid for comparison just to see what difference tire
    tread
    > > makes. I guess I will also try a trainers in the shop, just to get basis for comparison.
    > >
    > > Thank you !
    > >
    >

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.