noises from overhauled hub

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Kbh, Mar 17, 2003.

  1. Kbh

    Kbh Guest

    I was hearing some irregular 'tink tink clink clink' noises from my front Ultegra hub, so decided it
    was time for an overhaul. I flushed everything out with WD-40, wiped it all down, and cleaned the
    ball bearings. Repacked with grease and put back together. Now, not only do I hear the soft 'tink
    tink clink clink' irregular noises, I hear some grinding as well. Did I get some grit in there while
    overhauling? How clean do I have to be with the races and bearings - pre-surgury clean? What about
    this mystery 'tink tink clink clink' sound?

    Thanks,

    Kyle

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, KBH <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I was hearing some irregular 'tink tink clink clink' noises from my front Ultegra hub, so decided
    >it was time for an overhaul. I flushed everything out with WD-40, wiped it all down, and cleaned
    >the ball bearings. Repacked with grease and put back together. Now, not only do I hear the soft
    >'tink tink clink clink' irregular noises, I hear some grinding as well. Did I get some grit in
    >there while overhauling? How clean do I have to be with the races and bearings - pre-surgury clean?
    >What about this mystery 'tink tink clink clink' sound?

    Well that tink-tink might or might not be from the hub bearings (could be many things) but it sounds
    like you committed the sin of bearing re-use. When you suspect a bearing noise problem, start with
    new bearings and carefully inspect cups & cones for any pits or excessive/uneven wear.

    If the noise is coming from the wheel (maybe true, maybe not) I would start by oiling all spoke
    nipples, rim ferrules, and spoke crossings, and if the wheel is less than perfectly tight, correct
    that (perhaps by doing some rounding).

    --Paul