noises from overhauled hub

Kbh

Guest
I was hearing some irregular 'tink tink clink clink' noises from my front Ultegra hub, so decided it
was time for an overhaul. I flushed everything out with WD-40, wiped it all down, and cleaned the
ball bearings. Repacked with grease and put back together. Now, not only do I hear the soft 'tink
tink clink clink' irregular noises, I hear some grinding as well. Did I get some grit in there while
overhauling? How clean do I have to be with the races and bearings - pre-surgury clean? What about
this mystery 'tink tink clink clink' sound?

Thanks,

Kyle

In article <[email protected]>, KBH <[email protected]> wrote:
>I was hearing some irregular 'tink tink clink clink' noises from my front Ultegra hub, so decided
>it was time for an overhaul. I flushed everything out with WD-40, wiped it all down, and cleaned
>the ball bearings. Repacked with grease and put back together. Now, not only do I hear the soft
>'tink tink clink clink' irregular noises, I hear some grinding as well. Did I get some grit in
>there while overhauling? How clean do I have to be with the races and bearings - pre-surgury clean?
>What about this mystery 'tink tink clink clink' sound?

Well that tink-tink might or might not be from the hub bearings (could be many things) but it sounds
like you committed the sin of bearing re-use. When you suspect a bearing noise problem, start with
new bearings and carefully inspect cups & cones for any pits or excessive/uneven wear.

If the noise is coming from the wheel (maybe true, maybe not) I would start by oiling all spoke
nipples, rim ferrules, and spoke crossings, and if the wheel is less than perfectly tight, correct
that (perhaps by doing some rounding).

--Paul