Noisy bearing in Campa Vento wheels

Evilbofh

Nov 26, 2009
My Campa Vento wheels both front and back have become very noisy (a grinding sandy like sound) after riding in a heavy downpour.. Will re-greasing then repair this or should I get new bearing?
/E

Evilbofh said:
My Campa Vento wheels both front and back have become very noisy (a grinding sandy like sound) after riding in a heavy downpour.. Will re-greasing then repair this or should I get new bearing?
/E

Hard to say w/o seeing/feeling the bearings. Take the QR out and spin in your hands. If they feel like they are full of sand, replace the bearings. Not hard to do.

Do these hubs have press-in cartridge bearings covered only by dust caps which slide over the axle? On my Velomax wheels, have found that moisture can get behind the dust caps then continue past the non-contact rubber seals where it quickly causes the bearings to rust.

The bearings are easy to change as Peter said, assuming you have the bearings. I know this hub design is popular on boutique wheels, but seems to me conventional hubs with cup&cone bearings and real axle seals will hold up better in severe conditions.

BTW, my same concern applies to BB designs which use press-in cartridge bearings covered only by dust caps. After 500 miles in NM and CO this summer, one of my BB bearings got contaminated with grit and needed to be replaced. IMO the design has advantages, but again not the best for those who must deal with rain, sand and dirt.