Noisy bottom bracket/crankset

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by jjviljoen, Oct 2, 2003.

1. jjviljoen

jjviljoen New Member

After 3 300km (2 050 miles) I am now experiencing a resonating noise on my bike when under pedal load. Shimano Ultegra groupset.

What could the likely culprit be: BB, crankarms or pedals? Combination of some of them?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Johan

Tags:

2. bike48rider

bike48rider New Member

Johan
    I am a major mileage person. It is very common for me to hear and/or feel the resonating or grinding noise only when under load.
    Usually the bottom bracket is cooked, slight rust, or good old dirt.

3. Hunter

Hunter New Member

4. fuelrider

fuelrider New Member

I had a similar problem a month ago and found the cups on the bracket to be loose. Had the LBS re-grease and tighten them. Same Ultegra bottom bracket. I Don't think it's your crank and the bottom bracket should be in tact. 2,000 miles is nothing for that componentry. If it is loose, the shop that assembled your bike should fix it for free. Not supposed to come loose if assembled correctly - even after 2K miles.

5. coppi person

coppi person Guest

I have been dealing with similar issues with a coppi frameset and ultegra bb. It is important that the bb shell is faced and that the lock ring on the right side is tight. Also make sure that the bb shell is threaded correctly.

6. krodd

krodd New Member

I had a Shimano cassette BB get louder and louder in a Cannondale frame, which is a notorious sound-amplifier. After roughly 2k mi., I removed the lockring and found slight oxidation/tarnish where the outside of the cassette fits the inside of the lockring. Cleaned it with steel wool, greased and reassembled- blessed silence.

7. ondidog

ondidog New Member

I used to get that noise on the same equipment and tightening the cups (with the Trek adapter, of course) fixed it. As said above, take the opportunity to clean it all out real well.

So, lately its come back after being last assembled at a shop. I can't even get the cups off now. Obviously the shop guy was Mongo. A knolwedgable buddy said pull the arms clean and grease (lightly) and reinstall on the spindle. I'm trying that next.

8. rolfdevinci

rolfdevinci New Member

Just had the same problem. The creaking and groaning drove me nuts. Took it to the LBS and the wrench cleaned and lubed the BB....problem solved.