noisy brake's

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by col230979, Jul 13, 2007.

1. col230979

col230979 New Member

I've got tektro IO disc brake's on my bike, in the dry they are perfect, in the wet they squeel to the point it is unberable! the bike is only two weeks old, will they settle in or is ther something I should do?

Tags:

2. cruisin

cruisin New Member

They may settle down but it seems common for disk brakes to squeal in the wet.
    One thing I have heard to try from several sources, is a light smear of copper grease on the back of the pad where they contact the pistons .(I have heard this from cycling sources and automotive sources, and there are also products on the market sold for just this purpose that I have seen in auto spare parts stores, that dry to a sticky consistency).
    Apparently the actual noise is from this area, and not from the pad to rotor where you would logically think it's from.
    Be careful not to get any form of oil or grease on the rotor or the front of the pad.

3. alsys11

alsys11 New Member

I try to remove the pads every month or so and give them a good rub with some abrasive emery paper to take the glaze off of the pads, I think what happens is the pads glaze over if you do not allow mud and stuff to get on the disc and pads and rough them up a bit.

I had the same problem when I first got my rockhopper I thought my shiney new bike was just about to die in a squeeling mess until I gave the pads a rub.

Just enough to take the glaze off should be fine, I think modern pads are very hard which is why this arises.

If you have never done it before take it slowly and remember you always have the other set to look at if you are not sure how they go back!