Noisy Front End

cliffhn

Dec 28, 2003
Hi All,

I've just put a bike together (Specialized Allez '02 frame, Columbus tubing, and Shimano's Ultegra). There's an irritaing rattle from the front end that I couldn't find. Can anyone help me to go throught the process of finding the source of the noise?

Thanks,

Originally posted by cliffhn
Hi All,

I've just put a bike together (Specialized Allez '02 frame, Columbus tubing, and Shimano's Ultegra). There's an irritaing rattle from the front end that I couldn't find. Can anyone help me to go throught the process of finding the source of the noise?

Thanks,
There are so many possibilities I would not even try. You are there and in the best position to diagnose it systeamatically. Make sure the HS is properly assembled and adjusted.

Originally posted by boudreaux
There are so many possibilities I would not even try. You are there and in the best position to diagnose it systeamatically. Make sure the HS is properly assembled and adjusted.

I guess that's my real question. I'm suspecting the HS, but I'm not quite sure how to check it.

Originally posted by cliffhn
I guess that's my real question. I'm suspecting the HS, but I'm not quite sure how to check it.
www.parktool.com has everything on HS in the repair section. I would not know where to start on that topic,but have seen everything from parts left out, bearings upside down and even one put together with seating the crown race. If you don't know what you are doing with HSs it's best to take it to a good LBS,because mistakes can be expensive to you and the bike. A basic check to see if the HS is loose is to lock the front wheel with the brake with the wheel on a hard surface and rock the bike back and forth.Any looseness in the front end should be apparent, but it can also be hub bearing , loose skewer or brakes,so that has to be eleminated as a source of slop too.

If the noise happens when you turn the handlebars it can be the SIS cable housing. The SIS housing has longitudinal cable wires and the ends can be rubbing on the ferrules. Maybe if the noise happens when you hit a bump it may be the brake levers on Ultegra, they can make an annoying banging noise when you hit bumps. I think that I would start out with the headset like Boudreaux said.

It might help to find a quiet road and cycle along it at whatever speed you need to do to get it to rattle, then while you are cycling, try holding onto things at the front of the bike like cables, levers, brake capiler etc, and see if anything stops/quiets the rattling. I've managed to diagnose a couple of rattling cables like that.